Forum: Folk / Chinese Classical Dance

Chinese Classical Dance
Just started Chinese!
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 904, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Sat Jul 21, 2007 03:45 AM

Hi everyone on this forum! :D

This summer I went to a local studio and found that they offered several classes on Chinese Folk dance. Not having any other studio to go to and realizing I'm half Chinese and never heard of this, I decided to give it a try.

Most of the girls were way younger than the teen-aged level on the class title, and way more flexable than I am. Everyone started doing the splits before class started so that's what I did. Then our teacher walks in holding a big cane and that got my attention! O.O

She asked me if I spoke Chinese, and I was like, "not really". But she was really nice, even with that big cane... I had no idea a cane would be involved! I live in LA, I dance ballet and modern, and so I thought that we were going to be "cained" if we did something wrong. :D

She asked us to pull our legs over our heads while standing at the barre. I had never done that before but amazingly I was able to do that. Yeah, I guess you can do anything with a teacher holding a cane. ;P

Then she told us to do something in Chinese that I can't understand so I just did what everyone else was doing... grand battements. After a whole bunch of those, I thought I was going to pass out.

Then we walked around in a circle for our center, at first I did toe-ball-heel (being ballet-trained) but then realized it was heel-ball-toe with really tiny little steps.

Next she had us do our front splits, I do not have my front splits. Then, there was that cane again, and all I could think about was keeping my hips square as I slid down. Oh and guess what? I GOT MY FRONT SPLITS ALL THE WAY DOWN!!

After that we did more grand battements in the center, I tried to remember each name our teacher said in Chinese. Most of the grand battements involved jumping, kicking, and then kicking our hands, which felt really wierd at first.

It was really difficult doing so many kicks and I really thought I would pass out then. But after that we did hand gestures, the flower and the butterfly. That was much easier. :D

And that was the end of my first class. After that my butt was sore for a week! :P The best thing of all was that she only used that cane as a drum, but it really helped me get my front splits!! :D

3 Replies to Just started Chinese!

re: Just started Chinese!
By luvnlaughter Comments: 7, member since Wed Jul 25, 2007
On Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun (if a little frightening)! Was it odd being in the class with a bunch of younger girls?
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 904, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 01:05 AM
Hi! No, not nearly as awkward as feeling my feet hit my hands all the time. It's sad that tomorrow's our last class, I'm going back to my college studio for the fall semester and they don't have Chinese there. *awe* I felt that my flexability really improved a lot taking Chinese, it was really interesting! I'll probably take it again next year.
By cballerinos Comments: 20, member since Sat Sep 22, 2007
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 08:42 AM
Hello congrats! sounds like your chinese dance class was loads of fun. I take 3 chinese dance classes (in school and two outside) as well as ballet and modern. And I find that I enjoy Chinese dance a whole lot more! Are you going to start learning dances? I find them a whole lot more fun and expressive (:

ReplySendWatch