Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

any teachers here? I need help...
By odette101
On Tue Jul 24, 2007 08:00 PM

Heya,

Im having trouble with my students practicing, and i think a lot of it is to do with the parents involvment in their learning. It seems gone are the days when the mothers come along to class with a notepad and pen to write down the exercises, they all just drop their kids off and then ask me if i could write out the exercises for them! i have tried telling them they should be there but they dont get how important this is to their childs improvement. Any tips on how to get though to them? Ive also been trying to search for articles on this anyone know of any?

3 Replies to any teachers here? I need help...

re: any teachers here? I need help...
By balletbabe4eva
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:18 PM
idealy if they actually need to practise that bad then you should be giving them more lessons
and to answer your other question most of the parents who probably havent all done dancing before wont feel comfortable comming in and writing stuff down they will feel that they need to know all about dance so if there in need of that much practise announce in the news letter that students need to practise 3 times a week prior exams and so on and also say that they can tape some music to practise to so their parents will know its nescersary
By balletbabe4eva
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:19 PM
idealy if they actually need to practise that bad then you should be giving them more lessons
and to answer your other question most of the parents who probably havent all done dancing before wont feel comfortable comming in and writing stuff down they will feel that they need to know all about dance so if there in need of that much practise announce in the news letter that students need to practise 3 times a week prior exams and so on and also say that they can tape some music to practise to so their parents will know its nescersary
By Angelmum
On Sat Aug 11, 2007 02:35 AM
I'm not a teacher, but I am one of many parents WHO do take time to come into class and observe the exercises - sometimes, even videoing class (with the teachers pernission of course). I also request that music be copied for me so that my daughters can practice at home as well.
I pay alot for classes and I have a certain expectation of what I want my daughters to achieve, both from the class and from their exams - and I will do my best to help them attain those goals.
It's not up to you to make the parents take some interest in their daughter's classes - but what our teacher says to all parents at the beginning of the year, is that it's a two way street and if the parents want their daughters to do well, she will get them there but the rest is up to the parents/student. What about strategically placing some inspirational comments from famous dancers, or even from RAD (there are some good articles in the latest magazine) on your noticeboard or in your newsletter and maybe something might get through?

PS: Both my daughters have achieved distinction (RAD) in all their ballet exams - my eldest is sitting elementary next year, and honours with distinction in their jazz exams....parental support (both mum and dad) is VERY important!!!!

ReplySendWatch