Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

college dance teams
By jussgotadance
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 04:01 PM

i was just wondering if anyone here dances for a college dance team or is thinking about trying out for one ... if so which one?

21 Replies to college dance teams

re: college dance teams
By dancingrl247
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:35 PM
I want to dance in college if i can. i'll be applying for collge this fall so obviously i don't know where i'm going yet but i know that UNC and Wake Forest both have good teams so we'll see
By jetage
On Sun Jul 29, 2007 01:13 PM
I either want to go to VCU, Temple, or Boston University. I would try out for any one of them, but I heard VCU has a bad team. I'll make up my mind for myself.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 01, 2007 07:49 AM
I'm an incoming freshman at my university adn I made the dance team. It's exciting stuff. I don't really want to say my school's name, but it's in the Missouri Valley Conference.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them, but I can only say about specifically my experience thus far, not about other schools and stuff. I'm sure they all work differently.
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Aug 04, 2007 02:51 PM
I definately want to try out for a dance team when I go to college, making it now thats another story.

Uber I would love to hear all about you experience trying out for your dance team!
By butters
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:43 AM
I tried out for my universities dance team. made it. but cant be on the team becuase of class schedule conflicts. it's a bummer, but I'm glad i tried out, it was a good experience!
By jussgotadance
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 01:12 PM
i would also like to hear about your experiences (whoever has tried out) ...
how did u prepare?
what did they have you do? w
hy couldn't you be ont he team after you made it?
what it is lik being on the team?
what is expected of you? ...
and advice...or anything else! THANKS!!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:49 PM
how did u prepare? Well, first I found the website for
what did they have you do? w
hy couldn't you be ont he team after you made it?
what it is lik being on the team?
what is expected of you? ...
and advice...or anything else! THANKS!!

First of all, I researched the team on the school website. Most schools ahve a dance team webspage, or at least the name of someone to contact fi you are interested. My team happens to have a really great, informative website, where I could see what I needed to do to try out and even the constitution 9so I knew the team was well organized).

So to prepare, I first completed some fo the requirements. I had to make a resume of all my dance experiences and bring in three letters of recommendation (they didn't have to be from dance teachers, jsut a good judge of your character).

Then I worked and practiced the elements that they ahd listed on the website. It was bsaically some different leaps (side leaps, regular leaps, switches, bonus points for switch seconds). Turns (triple on right, double on left, bonus points for quads, fouettes).

I also had to learn how to sing the school fight song, although not every school has you do this.

And I had to make up a one minute routine involving both jazz and hiphop elements.

For the actual tryout, I arrived on campus late Friday afternoon. We had a three hour clinic in which we did technique adn learned the tryout routine. Then we all had interviews with the coach. She asked us about our dance expereince, why we wanted to be on the team, what are srengths are, that sort of thing.

I stayed in a hotel overnight since I was from out of town. Then I arrived the next morning for my tryout. I waited five hours to audition. They ahd everyone arrive at like 10:00 am and then went through everyone. I didn't mind waiting so long really. it gave me a good cahnce to bond with some of the girls.

Wow...this is getting really long, haha.

For my truout, we tried out alone. Not pairs, not small groups, alone. I sang the fight song, did technique, did the tryout dance, adn did my own choreography.

If you ahve more specific questions about that, post or PM me. I'll answer them the ebst I can!

As far as being on the team, it's hard for me to say since I ma so new, although we have practiced over the summer together. It's a really fun time so far! It's really nice to go into college already knowing some upperclassmen. They tell it to us like ti really is and give us lots of advice for our freshman year. The veteran girls already all know each other, but they try really hard to make us "newbies" feel included.
By jussgotadance
On Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:14 AM
thank you so much for sharing your experience! it really helps a lot to hear a first hand experience!

good luck on the team duringt he school year!
By bornadiva92
On Fri Aug 24, 2007 07:28 AM
my dance coach has been advising me a lot about what to do in college. i wan to go to virginia tech, and they have both a dance team and a dance company there. she suggested the company (that is the route she took herself) because it is a smaller group of girls that generally have better technique and dedication.
By AlwayzDancin15member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:18 AM
anybody know if the university of alabama's dance team is good?
By butters
On Fri Oct 05, 2007 01:16 PM
yes University of Alabama is good and they're predicted to get a lot better. They placed 9th in division 1A dance at UDA nationals and 10th in hip hop.
By wildcatqt2889
On Fri Oct 05, 2007 03:58 PM
can you give more info on university of alabama's dance team please?
By DarkIvymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 06, 2007 02:10 PM
Edited by DarkIvy (20996) on 2007-10-06 14:11:10 I need to learn how to use punctuation. Ugh.
^Why don't you to to the school's website and search for their dance team? It's probably on their athletic page somewhere, that's probably the easiest, most direct way of getting info.
By wildcatqt2889
On Mon Oct 08, 2007 01:31 PM
thanks, but their website does not have any info up about tryouts are the skills they are looking for.
re: college dance teams (karma: 1)
By DarkIvymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 08, 2007 04:52 PM
^Email or call the athletic department and ask to be put in touch with the coach. I've done that before, it's probably the easiest way to find out.

Most college dance teams I feel have very similar requirements. Most want at least clean triple pirouettes, some want quads. They want fouttes and turn combos. They want to see GOOD leaps (lots of height, tons of flexibility), switch leaps, etc. Teams that include poms routines (which I think a lot do) will probably also want to see top notch toe touches. When I was planning on trying out for my team a couple years ago, the requirement was "ankles at shoulder height" in a toe touch. Basically, the more advanced you are technically, and the more flexible you are, the better. I don't think many teams have vastly different requirements than that.
By wildcatqt2889
On Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:45 PM
thank you very much for your response
By rosesrred8890
On Fri Dec 07, 2007 09:09 PM
Im not looking into a college dance team so much as being a dance major. this is my last year in high schoo. ive been lookin and searchin tryin 2 find the school that has a dance department that works 4 me. i think vcu is a great one. im goin 4 my audition in febuary. wish me luck!
By twinkledancer08member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 PM
I'm planning on going to Northern Arizona University and trying out for their dance team. However if I don't get enough scholarships, I'll be attending University of New Mexico and try out for theirs
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 30, 2008 01:16 PM
I want to try out for the University of Miami's dance team if I get enough money to get in there but if I dont I'm going to try out for University of Florida's dance team

Both teams dont compete so they seem more prefromance/"look" based. UM has a requirement of like only double pirrouettes whereas UF has like fouettes and others The only problem I will have with them is switch leaps. My major problem with trying out will defiantely be my body.
By esm0223Premium member
On Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:07 AM
I was on my college's dance team for 3 years. It was a lot of fun and as far as I know requirements and auditions have not changed much. At my school the captains would come in and run the audition (go over required steps and teach a dance) and the coach and maybe like a former dancer who had graduated would watch the audition at a table taking notes. The future new members didn't have much of a "prep" but all of the information was on the Dance Teams website, which in most cases can be found under athletics. The one thing I did not like was having to dance like a cheerleader, stiff arms, sharp movements, things like that. I was trained in ballet my whole life (and just about everything else, but a lot of ballet) and my wimpy little ballet arms left me in the back for most of the routines. That used to make me so mad. Overall it was a good experience, we competed, danced out in the public a lot, did the football games and basketball games (be prepared to devote like 2-3 nights per week to basketball!!!) and did other various things around the community.
By dominicana90
On Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:46 AM
I'm going to tryout for my school. It's only a community college and the team hasn't really been doing anything. I'm hoping to make it better and really work on technique. I don't think tryout will be too hard. I'm still really excited though.

ReplySendWatch