Forum: Adults / Theatre Production

Theatre Production
I forgot my lines last night!
By LiquidIcemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 679, member since Wed Apr 04, 2007
On Fri Jul 27, 2007 02:34 PM

So, I'm doing Midsummers with a theatre group. We were enjoying ourselves the first 3 nights, everything went really smoothly. Yesterday, we had our 4th show, an in the middle of an intense scene, I forgot my line. Totally, just blank. It was gone. The guy who plays Demetrius started his line, but what really bigged me was that nobody helped me. We were all told to memorize each others lines incase that happened. When Hermia forgot her line and I mouthed the words to her. Helena forgot her line and Puck mouthed the words to her. I just don't understand why no one helped me! After that ordeal, the director yelled at me. I still feel really embarrassed at what happened and I'm all shaky now. What can help me get over my overwhelming nevervs? I don't want to have a panic attack in the middle of the play!

3 Replies to I forgot my lines last night!

re: I forgot my lines last night!
By KayLovesToDance Comments: 29, member since Thu Jul 26, 2007
On Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:34 PM
Sounds like you need a hug. *hugs* I've forgotten lines a million of times, don't worry about it. What's done is done.
Whenever I'm nervous onstage, I try to mask it with confidence. No audience wants to see a shaky performer onstage. Pretend you're in the audience watching the play. What do you want to see? You want to see a confident actor!

Don't be embarassed about your performance. Smile and say you tried your best. Good luck in all your plays!
re: I forgot my lines last night!
By ldiva5678 Comments: 1685, member since Wed May 01, 2002
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:12 AM
This is going to happen, no matter how prepared or how fabulous you are! At least once, I am sure every experienced actor has had this happen to them! Don't sweat it.

Secondly, your director should not have yelled at you. That's a completely unproductive way to approach this issue... all yelling will do is make you feel bad and make you more nervous, which surely won't prevent it from happening again!

And as far as your fellow actors not mouthing the words to you, that's not a big deal either. In fact, most actors I have worked with would never mouth anyone's lines to anyone else - it's too obvious of a give away. Most of the audience wouldn't even know if a line was skipped, so often the best solution is to just keep going, which is what sounds like happened. Sometimes you can ad-lib and try to say the other person's line for them, or encourage them to say it, but that's very hard to do in Shakespeare without it being horribly obvious, unless you're extremely well versed in Shakespeare style.

Don't take it personally, and remember that it was bound to happen at least once, and at least now you know how to handle it!

Break a leg!

Comment #6302456 deleted
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2008-07-10 15:24:38 double post

ReplySendWatch