Forum: Folk / Native American Dance

Native American Dance
Onondaga Indians, Where I Grew Up (Upstate New York)
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Wed Aug 01, 2007 07:46 AM

www.nativepeoples.com is a great source to learn more about Native Americans. I grew up in Syracuse, New York near the Onondaga (Onundagaono or the People of the Hills) Indian Reservation. My best friend was an American Indian and I attended many festivals with traditional dancing as a kid. You can search for American Indian dance videos at youtube. Here’s one: youtube.com . . .
The Onondaga Indians are one of the original five constituent tribes of the Iroquois (Hodenosaunee) Confederacy. Their traditional homeland is in and around Onondaga County, New York. Being centrally located, they were the keepers of the fire in the figurative longhouse, with the Cayuga and Seneca to their west and the Oneida and Mohawk to their east. For this reason, the League of the Iroquois historically met at Onondaga, as indeed the traditional chiefs do today.
I recently read that in 2005, the Onondaga Nation of Nedrow, New York, filed a land rights action in federal court, seeking acknowledgement of title to over 3,000 square miles of ancestral lands centering in Syracuse, New York. In doing so they hope to obtain increased influence over environmental restoration efforts at Onondaga Lake and other EPA Superfund sites in the claimed area. This lawsuit is facing a motion to dismiss based on the precedent established in the Cayuga nation's land claim[1] and other defenses.
Source: wikipedia

Another good source to learn about Native American Indian Culture is www.native-languages.org . . .

4 Replies to Onondaga Indians, Where I Grew Up (Upstate New York)

re: Onondaga Indians, Where I Grew Up (Upstate New York)
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:06 AM
Smiley, is this a different lawsuit from the one I was hearing about on the radio a few years back up in NYC? Some of the Nations filed a suit against the government because they were violating treaties from decades and centuries ago...and in this day and age!

It's almost scary how people don't care or even acknowledge the things the government is still doing to Native peoples, isn't it? They have this so-what attitude anytime anyone mentions things. It breaks my heart.
re: Onondaga Indians, Where I Grew Up (Upstate New York) (karma: 1)
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Wed Sep 19, 2007 08:42 AM
I am Seneca (Tonawanda Band,) Bear Clan. My father was Italian. One of my third cousins was condoled as Cayuga Bear chief two years ago at Onondaga (at Grand Council.) Obviously, he has been very active in both the Cayuga land claim and the Onondaga land claim. What most people don't realize is that if the pollution near Onondaga continues, and the cleanup does not occur, it will affect ALL people in that area, not just natives!

I did some powwow dancing years ago (jingle dress) but as an elder gave up the competition part of that. I still have regalia, but gave the jingle dress to my friend's niece.

As someone with ballet training it always annoyed me that in most nations' dance styles, the men were the ones who got to dance the more spectacular styles, while we women were only gliding across the ground, one foot in contact with mother earth at all times.

Through the years I have often wondered if any natives with ballet choreography experience have used some of the men's dance elements (such as smoke dance, grass dance) in a ballet. I think this could be done in a good way as long as the elements were not taken from a sacred ceremonial dance.

Anyways, nyah:weh skenoh!
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 09:12 AM
This is not specifically related to Native American Indian dance but you might find this interesting:

Yes, there are people who combine what many consider 'classical ballet' elements and also native elements. There is a dance company in Sydney, Australia called "Bangara" and their works are contemporary dance, heavily influenced and inspired by traditional Aboriginal stories and culture. :) They are very highly regarded over here.
By frankie5 Comments: 23, member since Fri Dec 08, 2006
On Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:30 PM
Yours is a wonderful heritage that you can be proud of... learn all you can. I wish I would have done so when I had the opportunity. Take care.

ReplySendWatch