Forum: Guard / Color Guard

No Clue
By twirlerbabe48
On Thu Aug 02, 2007 01:07 PM

I started in dancing, have been a baton twirler for 6 years, and am now interested in auditioning for color guard. I've never done it before, but auditions aren't until next spring. Does anyone have any advice for me?

4 Replies to No Clue

re: No Clue
By dancetilyadropx3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Aug 02, 2007 02:55 PM
Practice Practice Practice and show that you are confident. Also just to let you know baton twirling and flag spinning arent very similar. But since auditions arent until spring is there anyone that could start teaching you now so you could be ahead of the game?
By poodlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 02:23 PM
Twirling is not the same but it will give you a little bit of a start in guard. Tee flag and rifle are both a lot heavier than a baton is. Maybe, you should contact some one that is currently on the guard and ask them to help you practice, so when auditions come you will know what you are doing.
By kmgmom
On Thu Aug 30, 2007 01:27 PM
Since they didn't offer twirling at my daughter's school, she auditioned for guard this spring. They have rifle,sabre and flag and she does flag and sabre. They also let her twirl for pregame and one song in the halftime show. She said that twirling the flag was a little harder, especially since she kept trying to do backhand releases the way she twirls!. But she figured it out, and with the sabre, it was a breeze, she was able to show them tricks that she does with a baton and the dance numbers are all lyrical so the dance was a major asset!! Go for it and realize that you will adapt a lot easier than most with your experience. And you will be able to do fishtails, illusions and back of the necks with the sabre as well!!!! Good luck.
By Dancergirl9224
On Thu Sep 13, 2007 04:53 PM
Most new guard members have no expirence twirling anything at all, so you are probably ahead of the game! Try out for the guard, it's alot of fun!!

ReplySendWatch