Forum: General / Tell dance.net

Tell dance.net
Reporting Ad Issues
By webdeadmasterPremium member Comments: 2400, member since Thu Aug 05, 1999
On Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:17 PM
Made sticky by webkcabmaster (251) on 2007-08-04 12:18:32

Occasionally, one of our ad networks serves up content which is inappropriate for this site, or more annoying than even advertising should be.

If you want to report an ad for one of these reasons, please include as much of this information as you can, or we may not be able to track down the ad in question

1) How the ad is a problem - inappropriate, takes over the cursor, makes continual background noise, invites your in-laws over to dinner...

2) Any company, brand, or product names mentioned in the ad.

3) Any URLs you can pull from the ad. I'm not encouraging you to click on the ad, but most browsers will show the URL in a corner when you hover the pointer over an ad. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for flash ads (grr). Usually, just the "host" part of the URL is sufficient. Note that there will often be two URLs involved with an ad. The "hover" one will usually tell us the ad network, which is very useful information, while after you click the ad, you'll often see another URL in the address bar, which will usually be the advertiser's own site.

4) The shape and location of the ad on the dance.net page

5) Some idea of where you are surfing from. Some ads are targeted to particular geographic areas. I don't expect we'd need to know anything more specific than a country here.

Just because you see the ad, doesn't mean I do. The more information we have, the more likely we can tell where the ad is coming from and actually do something about it.

17 Replies to Reporting Ad Issues

re: Reporting Ad Issues
On Mon Aug 06, 2007 05:05 PM
Note: I have moved replies from this post having to do with a specific instance of advertising to another thread.

Let's keep this thread clear for any discussion of effective means for tracking ads. Please open up a new thread for any specific cases, checking to see if there's an existing thread on it first.

If you are looking for the replies that were here, they are now with the "BAD ADS" thread.
By swoods5678 Comments: 2, member since Thu Jul 19, 2007
On Mon May 19, 2008 10:32 AM
can you tell me where my ad is now? I've paid for it and would like to know what's up. if I placed it in the wrong spot, how do I move it?

Comment #7381972 deleted
Removed by webheadmaster (251) on 2008-07-16 22:23:22 hmm - not what I expected

By Ruthmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2564, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 09:55 AM
1) How the ad is a problem - See the attached picture (This has happened several times with the AD today)

2) Any company, brand, or product names mentioned in the ad. www.rhs.org.uk . . .

3) Any URLs you can pull from the ad. www.rhs.org.uk . . .

4) The shape and location of the ad on the dance.net page - See the picture

5) Some idea of where you are surfing from. Some ads are targeted to particular geographic areas. I don't expect we'd need to know anything more specific than a country here. The UK :)

This has happened a few times today and is really annoying me
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Wed Oct 15, 2008 06:23 PM
Hello, I just wanted to alert you to an ad that's popping up on the penpals and friends page.

1. It's inappropriate because it advertises a dating site for gay singles, which in my opinion is not appropriate for a site that has children visiting it.

2. The ad is for GayCupid.

3. gaycupid.com

4. Rectangle, upper right hand between the upper menu and where the messages are, I've only seen it on the penpals page.

5. I'm surfing from the US.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Mon Oct 27, 2008 02:30 AM
Edited by begstretcher2008 (197101) on 2008-10-27 02:39:54
Here is my main complaint. I call it the "Ugly Ad" LOL! Isn't it true Andrew, that most of those ads contain spyware anyway? I don't know much about them actually. But any ads creep me out. That's one reason I don't use my netzero email account much because it has all these horrible ugly ads all over the place with eyes staring at me. ICK!
By karizma Comments: 2528, member since Thu Feb 28, 2002
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 06:45 AM
I want to report an ad that was on your site. It is a pop up ad. It looks like a blog from someone that is loosing weight. The product advertises a free 14 day trial of Acaiberry and Total Cleanse. You just pay a small shipping fee. I thought, why not right? I heard about this new product on Oprah so I would like to try it. Well, after I ordered the free trial, first of all I havn't even received the total cleanse, I did get the acaiberry 3 days ago. Now my Credit card is being charged 84.13! I have called all kinds of numbers for this company and no answer. I did a search and found out that this company is a scam and is doing this to everyone. They have also warned me to close my bank accont because apparently these charges keep coming! Just wanted to warn you!
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 AM
Dude! Anna's weight loss story pops up everytime on DDN. Of course I never click on it, but whats the deal?
On Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 AM
Eh-hem.
webheadmaster wrote:

Let's keep this thread clear for any discussion of effective means for tracking ads. Please open up a new thread for any specific cases, checking to see if there's an existing thread on it first.
By kaotichouse Comments: 277, member since Tue Feb 19, 2008
On Fri Mar 26, 2010 09:28 AM
xxxmatch.com is an ad I found by clicking on the general tab. It was a rectangle ad running down the right side of the page. It is innappropriate due to the sexual images (penetration). I am surfing in Canada
By sarah_jayne Comments: 1855, member since Sat Nov 06, 2004
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 01:17 AM
Hi

Im having trouble with the advert for holidays in Croatia, the
Croatian Tourist board
The page will only load the advert at the top and then nothing else , so everytime that advert appears i cannot view the page
at all
Its taken me 4 times refreshing each page to gethere to write this lol
Sarah xx

Sarah
By taelyr08Premium member Comments: 1185, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Tue Jun 15, 2010 05:48 AM
yeah iv been having the same problems as sarah above x
By EireLibramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2482, member since Thu Aug 21, 2003
On Wed Oct 27, 2010 04:10 PM
1. Does having two video ads with sound pop up in one window, competing with each other in loud noisiness count as annoying? Because there's Ads for mucinex, lysol disinfectant spray, and Air wick that are doing that right now.

I'm also worried about the new thing that has just started where my browser downloads a file called favicon.ico

2. Mucinex, lysol disinfectant spray

3. When I right-click the ad, it just gives me options for adobe flash player.

4. One is on the right sidebar in the first or second position, the other is on the bottom and second from the left.

5. I'm from the western USA.

Thanks!
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Wed May 09, 2012 10:20 AM
Edited by Damhnait (177844) on 2012-05-09 10:20:59
Edited by Damhnait (177844) on 2012-05-09 10:22:47
I'm having a problem with two video ads on every page I visit. One is about smoking and the other is from "jacquistafford.com". They're both in the same video player and play one after another. It's annoying because first you have to track down the source of the sound (on forum pages it's on the right side of the page, and when I reply to threads it's on the very bottom of the page.

I've tried pausing and muting the sound on these ads and they STILL play sound!

I browse DDN from the U.S.

I would like to edit in that there's not one video player playing the jacquistafford add, but two (one on the side, one on the very bottom). That's why when I was stopping one ad, the other would still be playing and making noise.
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 AM
^ There is also one for Pet Meds.
By ngsbPremium member Comments: 48, member since Mon Feb 28, 2011
On Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 AM
There is currently an ad running for "Jaqui's One Minute Wow" that is EXTREMELY obnoxious. It keeps popping up in the right side bar as well as the bottom left of the page. This ad is very loud (and doubly so with the ad running in both spots). It appears every time I go to a new page.

I am located in the Southeast US if that helps.
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 08:09 PM
Hi,

I'm currently getting an ad for "orientbrides.com" on the bottom of the page in between two appropriate ads.

The visuals of the ad aren't that x-rated(woman smiling in a low cut shirt with cleavage, with a Chinese outdoors scene in the back) but it says "browse 1000s of exclusive photo sets" and it's the nature of what i presume the site to be that is inappropriate.

I'm in Canada.

ReplySendWatch