Forum: Arts / Fiction

Online References for Writers (karma: 1)
By DanceNYY
On Sat Aug 04, 2007 01:50 PM

I have come across several good websites that have helped me along the way with my writing. I thought it would be neat if we had a reference thread where we could all share some great websites. I can try to edit this page with your links so we have a "master list" of sorts. I've broken down my links into different categories. Feel free to add links to any of my categories, or make a new category!

--WRITING--

Grammar
1. grammar.qdnow.com I love this grammar website. Just about every question I have ever had about grammar has been answered here. Not only have I found it to be very informative, but Grammar Girl gives great examples and ways to help remember the rules. I also like that she has a free podcast on iTunes so I can listen to her advice as well as read it.

2. grammar.ccc.commnet.edu . . . I haven't used this site nearly as much as I have used grammar girl, but as you'll see, there are a lot of links to help answer your questions. An aspect I like about this site is that it has quizzes so you can see how much you know (or don't know--like me!)

Dictionaries
1. www.notam02.no . . . This is no ordinary dictionary. It is called the "alternative dictionary" because it contains slang and other phrases not in a regular dictionary. It also has entries from many, many different languages. I wouldn't reccomend relying on this site alone when using the foreign language slang, but it can be one step of research if you do want to incorporate foreign language slang in your stories. In addition, slang changes a lot and could date your story, but it's an interesting site even if you use it for some sort of inspiration.

2.www.m-w.com . . . This IS your ordinary dictionary, but every good writer needs one!

--CHARACTERS--

Character Names
1. www.20000-names.com We've all sat at our computers (or in front of an empty notebook) trying to think of names for our characters. We've used baby books, yearbooks, phone books etc. This website is neat because you can search names by different countries. Do you have a hot Italian boy you just need the perfect Italian name for him?-it may be a simple task with this site!

2. www.surnameweb.org . . . This site can help you with your character's last name. I have found it a little hard to navigate if you are looking for a specefic meaning, but it is great if you want to browse names.

Character Charts
1. www.charlottedillon.com . . . I, personally, like to create my own character sheets with information I think will be important to create a interesting, three dimensional character. However, I do like to look at character sheets to get my creative mind moving. They also help as a quick visual that helps me keep my characters straight--(Who was it that hates peanut butter?)

2. www.eclectics.com . . . Here is another version. There are tons of versions on the internet. I like to take pieces from all of them and create my own.

Misc. Character Information
1. www.bls.gov This is the Bureau of Labor Statistics website. Does your character have a job? Need to research informaion on that job? This would be a pretty good place to find some information.

ReplySendWatch