Forum: General / Tap / Stepping

Stepping
teaching the istd grade five warm up
By candance83 Comments: 25, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 05:29 AM

HI, i was just wondering if any one had any suggestions on how to teach the grade 5 istd warm up. Its all even rythum and for some reason the kids just cant get it!! I have broken it down but its the second part with the shuffle toe heel that is the problem! Its driving me crazy please help!!!!

2 Replies to teaching the istd grade five warm up

re: teaching the istd grade five warm up
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3982, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 01:25 PM
That's the one where the second part goes:
double shuffle (R), step heel beat
double shuffle (L), step heel beat
double shuffle (R side), step heel beat
double shuffle (L side), step heel beat
shuffle step heel 3x straight and then 3x at the side (R L R L R L) ?

If it's any consolation, I understand that this is commonly difficult to teach because of the cross-phrasing. It's probably that which your kids are having trouble with. I can't think of anything really to help other than to tell them to keep going with the final six shuffle step heels, not stopping even if they think they're out of time with the music. It's if you hesitate that you lose it; I always found when I was learning it that if I just trusted myself and kept going, it would work out fine. This may be a time when you just have to keep practicing and practicing over and over until they have it drummed into their heads. Maybe make them practice without the music until you're sure they are very confident with the steps, and only then put the music on?
re: teaching the istd grade five warm up
By candance83 Comments: 25, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Wed Aug 08, 2007 04:07 PM
Thats the exact bit thanks i will try that!! Thanks for the advice x

ReplySendWatch