Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Joining a team with NO ballet experience.
By FaNtAsYdAnCeR
On Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:52 PM

Ok, so I am joining this team. WEll hopefully! I'm going to tryouts soon. BUT -- The team does ballet. Which i've never done! I've had experience in jazz, hip-hop and tumbling, lyrical, and gymnastics. But no ballet! So i was wondering as a team would you guys want to have someone on your team that doesn't know how to do ballet? But is really good at everything else?? I wonder if i'll be able to catch on or anything.

Thanks for the advice it's appreciated!!!

-hailee-
p.s sorry if you don't think this should be on the team part i'm just new to dance.net and someone told me it would be more helpful on the team tab. And i respect that. So thanks!

3 Replies to Joining a team with NO ballet experience.

re: Joining a team with NO ballet experience.
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Aug 12, 2007 08:43 PM
I would suggest calling or e-mailing the coach/director of the team and asking if you should try-out, even though you have no ballet experience. If the director says you shouldn't try out (or you do try-out and don't make it) you could take a ballet class at a local studio and try again next year. Even if you do make it, you may want to take an outside ballet class anyway to catch up.
By FaNtAsYdAnCeR
On Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:53 AM
True thanks!@! I am going to call her and see. I think it's better for the team if their all on the same level and then have me catch up later.. I don't know.
Thanks for the advice!
By bornadiva92
On Thu Aug 23, 2007 07:18 PM
ne of the girls on my varsity team has never taken a dance class before in her entire life...
but shes better than some of the others.....
usually people that dont take studio are better at pom because they havent been trained to have soft ballet arms for years. i would say just to concentrate on flexibility and pirouettes.
i have no doubt that if you have really great showmanship, and are good at hiphop and pom, jazz and other dances that include more technical skills can be learned.
hope this helps :)

ReplySendWatch