Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

Capoeira
Need Advice on training/preppin g for Capoeira classes before i start
By TallGyalNYC Comments: 32, member since Thu Mar 21, 2002
On Fri Feb 28, 2003 05:21 PM

Hello, i am going to step into the wonderful world of Capoeira In June, right after i finsih my senior year of high school, However, I want to start doing whatever strength training possible to be the best prepeared for it. I am currently a hip-hop and caribbean/latin dancer with background in modern and ballet, so i am constantly in the gym doing cardio, and more recently i have emphasized my arm strength training, because i am assuming thats essential for Capoeira. Please let me know any other training tips you know of!...Kaly

3 Replies to Need Advice on training/preppin g for Capoeira classes before i start

re: Need Advice on training/preppin g for Capoeira classes before i start
By estairia Comments: 209, member since Tue Nov 26, 2002
On Fri Feb 28, 2003 06:49 PM
this isn't really a training tip but be prepared to have sore feet and blisters after your first couple classes of capoeira. Oh practice cartwheels on both sides and learn how to count in Porteguese.
By Narahari2 Comments: 62, member since Thu Nov 29, 2001
On Tue Mar 04, 2003 01:05 AM
Do lots of push-ups of all kinds: from incline, back and forth, side to side. Work on your bridges. Practice being upside down; do handstands against the wall, both front and back, look at the world from between your ankles. Try one handed cartwheels.Work on high kicking. Work on your wrists; they take a lot of stress in capoeira. I am sure there is more, but I can not think of it now.
By Ursula_Mayor Comments: 968, member since Sat Feb 15, 2003
On Fri Mar 14, 2003 05:03 PM
If you're going to START Capoeira classes, you don't need previous preparartion. Imagine if I had to put my three-year-old daughter training before taking her to her first Ballet classes. Beginners don't need previous knowlegde/preparation, even though it might be somewhat useful. But if you're technicaly ahead of the other student's, learning won't be as fun and challenging as it could be, because you know more that everyone else.
Besides, with your background in Dance, you have enough strenght and agility to learn Capoeira quite easily, so no worrys, k?

Vale!
*SuMay*

ReplySendWatch