Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 28 29 30 31 32
Books
Which book are you reading right now?
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2836, member since Fri Jun 09, 2006
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 01:36 PM

As the title says.. keep us all up to date. Which book are you reading right now?

I came upon a thread like this in a different board long ago. I really liked the idea there, because I got many inspirations what kind of book I`d like to read next. And it`s nice to inform other booklovers about your newest "treasure"..

If you wish to, you can add further information to your post. Do you like it? Why? Why did you buy it?

(I hope that there isn`t already a thread like this.. if there is: i`m sorry. I looked around, but found nothing).

780 Replies to Which book are you reading right now?

re: Which book are you reading right now?
By blondie13126 Comments: 753, member since Tue Sep 20, 2005
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 03:41 PM
yay, i'm first!!

right now, i'm reading twisted by laurie halse anderson. she is an amazing author and i have read all of her books, which is why i picked this one up!
-blondie-
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 06:56 PM
Duty and Desire by Pamela Aidan. It's the second book of a trilogy that retells Pride & Prejudice from Darcy's perspective.
By Fouette_Forever Comments: 4579, member since Sat Jan 05, 2002
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 07:34 PM
Anil's Ghost by Micheal Ondatjje
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2747, member since Wed Aug 16, 2006
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 09:10 PM
Fly by Night by Frances Hardinge.
By TimbersGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 311, member since Mon Feb 27, 2006
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:38 PM
I am reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. It is so good!
By ActingBunheadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1883, member since Thu Oct 26, 2006
On Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 PM
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader from the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

I really like it! The Narnia series is really a fun series. :)

PinUpGirl - that sounds like an interesting trilogy! I might look into that...after I read Pride and Prejudice, that is. (which should be soon!)
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2836, member since Fri Jun 09, 2006
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 02:36 AM
The Pride&Prejudice stuff sounds interesting.

Antoina Fraser: Marie Anoinette. The Journy.

It`s the book that Sofia Coppola read before making her "Marie Antoinette" Film. I love the film, and I`ll like the book.
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 07:29 AM
"The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I'm slowly getting into it - my best friend says the pay-off is great, but it's taken me 10 years to get into this book... ;)
By lexilane1 Comments: 184, member since Sun Oct 15, 2006
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 PM
harry potter and the deathly hallows

I already read it its so awesome
By Joaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1707, member since Wed Mar 30, 2005
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:58 PM
Well I only have time to read book books for school, SAT books for me.

So, right now I'm reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and The Stranger (L'Etranger) by Albert Camus. And, the Zen if the SAT for me, I need a good score!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 01:22 PM
I definitely recommend it, acting_bunhead. My mom read them before I did and she's a huge Janeite. She loved them.

Fayet, I have the Antonia Fraser biography of Marie Antoinette that I plan on reading after I finish Duty and Desire. I want to read it before I tackle Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund.
By ActingBunheadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1883, member since Thu Oct 26, 2006
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 09:47 PM
^cool! I'll look into it. :)
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2747, member since Wed Aug 16, 2006
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 07:29 AM
Now I'm reading Gideon the Cutpurse by Linda Buckley-Archer.
By Little_MissJmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11220, member since Thu Jul 17, 2003
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 09:03 AM
Bridget Jones by Helen Fielding.

Lol. My, do I sound totally un-educated. My Mum bought the first and the second for me a couple of years ago. I've just never got around to reading them!

It's not too bad. I've watched the film a lot of times..practically know it word for word. The film and book are not the same though - changes usually occur.
By onlyodette Comments: 370, member since Mon Nov 20, 2006
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:34 AM
Right now I'm reading a few books:

Prep by Curtis Sittenfield- rereading it for the third time. I love this book.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte- this is the book that I read while I'm on break at work so I'm not really into it right now since I read bits and pieces at a time.

Stardust by... I can't remember who right now- I basically bought this because the movie is coming out and I always like reading the book first but I haven't started it yet.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer- I've heard a lot of good things about this book and I bought it yesterday but have only read the first few pages. Really good so far.

I really have to get reading!
By Dancing_Doll2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 636, member since Mon Apr 12, 2004
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 04:10 PM
I just finished reading interview with the vampire. Now i'm reading the hobbit. I tried reading it a couple of years ago but couldn't grasp it. I still find the style a bit weird now but hopefully i'll get into it.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 04:18 PM
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (I think).

To be honest, it's insanely confusing. The narration is full of imagined future lingo, so you really have to have amazing concentration just to get through the first page. However, once you get used to what the different words actually mean, it's actually really good.
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 07:50 PM
I've now moved on to Marie Antoinette: A Journey by Antonia Fraser.
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 08:25 PM
I started At The Back of The North Wind by George MacDonald.

I love George MacDonald!!! :)
By gurlwithcurls Comments: 599, member since Wed Nov 10, 2004
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 09:18 PM
The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket which I have read several times before. I love the series and the sense of humor that the author has.

I'm also reading How the Mind Works for school summer reading by Steven Pinker. It's quite interesting, but I can't stand his writing style. I keep wanting to edit the book.

~*~Maggie~*~
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:20 AM
Dancing_doll - Just keep plugging away! Tolkien has an interesting way of writing (I personally love it!) and hopefully you'll get used to it. The Hobbit is probably one of my favorite books. :)

I'm now reading The Silver Chair which is the 6th book in the Chronicles of Narnia. I'm really enjoying this series (even though it's a bit "young" compared to what I usually read) :)
By dancetosurvivemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 466, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 02:43 AM
Is the Marie Antoinette book written from kind of a diary, kind of comical point of veiw? With bits of a play intertwined? (
By Dancing_Doll2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 636, member since Mon Apr 12, 2004
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 03:08 AM
I'm starting to get used to it. I dunno if i'll read the whole series though. I've got the whole narnia set but i've only ever read the lion the witch and the wardrobe and part of the magicians nephew. Might start it after this.
By aspiration23 Comments: 148, member since Wed Sep 21, 2005
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:00 PM
for school, I'm reading
-The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion.
-Huckleberry Finn

I can't seem to get into Huck Finn though cause the written dialect is so weird.
I'm only about 65 pgs from the end of my other book though. it's very good. It's an autobiography about a woman who loses her husband & is trying to grieve but her daughter is going in & out of the hospital with her own problems.
Page:
Page 1 of 321 2 3 4 5 6 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch