Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 23 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 09, 2010 09:49 PM
^What's it about?
By lux
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 05:27 AM
Currently & simultaneously reading:

"The Time Traveler's Wife", for literally the tenth time. I cry EVERY DAMNED TIME i read this, seriously.

My politics textbook, cram-style before my exam in a week (fail...)

Not technically a book, but the pen-and-paper journal I kept at the beginning of the year.
By xBallet_babex
On Sun Oct 10, 2010 01:07 PM
Breath, Eyes, Memory is about a little girl who lives with her aunt in a small village Haiti (I think)and then is dragged to New York to be with her mother that she hasn't seen in years. They focus a lot on "purity" so when she starts dating her mom checks her every week to make sure she's a virgin still. She gets married, has a baby, and now she's back visiting her extended family because she's having trouble in the marriage and basically wound up scarred for life from being "checked" by her mother all the time. It's pretty sad and kind of messed up to me, because its not something that happens to most people here in the US but it's still "normal" to do that and place such a high value on sexual purity some places.
By ajjones
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 01:44 AM
Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler.
I bought it a few weeks ago and have only read about 7 pages :(
By SoloJazzDancer
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 PM
I just finished a book called Rainbow On A Hard Trail - Her Story Of Life And Love - Dale Evans Rogers w/ Norman B. Rohrer. She was Roy Rogers wife, the cowboy who had a show on TV in the 50's. I really liked him and had no idea what a hard life they had. I knew they were Christians. I sobbed a lot reading this book. Not something you want to do at bedtime. I recommend it. It's a small book so it won't take long to read.

Another book I am reading is a book called Classic Rock by Gary Cee. It's a really big book so I didn't take it to The Big E or The Grainville Fair. I am halfway through.
By GingerPremium member
On Tue Oct 12, 2010 04:37 AM
Nearly done with No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I have to say I am not a fan of this book- I really liked his writing style in The Road, but in this one it was just awkward and hard to follow. Plus, after the first dozen murders it gets a bit tiring having someone's head blown off on every page. Next up is the first Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich.
By Boogledoomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Oct 12, 2010 05:46 AM
I'm currently reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, it's a coming of age novel about a 13 year old boy in 1980s England.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Tue Oct 12, 2010 08:25 PM
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.

It's weird. It's the story of a travelling carnival family of "special" people, told from the perspective of a hunchbacked albino dwarf. Not what I expected at all when I saw the title (I was expecting a fluffy chick-lit book!).

And to any prospective squeamish readers: contains chicken death, strip clubs, drug use for the purpose of creating deformities and other controversial subjects.
By xBallet_babex
On Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:41 AM
I finished Breath Eyes Memory, which I didn't like very much. I dont think I have much of an appreciation for that genre of books, but I'm trying to become a more diverse reader (and it was only $0.33) and I'm trying to at least appreciate it even if I don't enjoy it.

I'm working on Mansfield Park now which I'm enjoying a lot more. I love Jane Austin and Fanny is a great character and easy for me to relate to.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 17, 2010 04:11 PM
I'm re-reading 'This Lullaby' by Sarah Dessen. I love it! It's one of my favourites.

And I just started 'Mao's Last Dancer.' I'm not sure if I like it yet, I've only read the first few chapters.
By xBallet_babex
On Sun Nov 28, 2010 06:04 PM
Done with Mansfield Park and I'm on to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've heard its good but gruesome, my roommate wants me to read it and tell them if it's good before they read it. I'm about 100 pages in and I wouldn't call it super eventful, a lot of it is "set-up" for the story, but it's starting to get into the story and I can see why a section of set up was needed because I think it be a fairly complex storyline. I guess I'll have to keep reading it and find out!
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 28, 2010 07:45 PM
Just finished Need by Carrie Jones. It was alright. I also just finished Song Quest by Katherine Roberts for the millionth time. I love that book and the series. I lost the second one though, and I can't read the third without reading the second one, even though I know them all by heart. Plus, the second one is my favorite and I'm quite upset it's missing. I know they're more "little kid" books, but I Katherine Roberts is probably my favorite author and I do love those books so much.
By AlinWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 25, 2010 07:23 PM
I'm reading "A Garden of Earthly Delights" by Joyce Carol Oates.

It's part of The Wonderland Quartet. It's not nearly as mystical as the title makes it sound but it's pretty funny throughout the whole beginning section, then it transitions pretty nicely into making you feel like you are the main character even though the book is written in third person. I really like it :)
By xBallet_babex
On Sat Dec 25, 2010 07:27 PM
I'm working on The Girl who Played with Fire now. Im about 200 pages in and the story is just getting started, his stories have a LOT of set up!
By ChristinePremium member
On Sat Dec 25, 2010 08:44 PM
xBallet_babex wrote:

Breath, Eyes, Memory is about a little girl who lives with her aunt in a small village Haiti (I think)and then is dragged to New York to be with her mother that she hasn't seen in years. They focus a lot on "purity" so when she starts dating her mom checks her every week to make sure she's a virgin still. She gets married, has a baby, and now she's back visiting her extended family because she's having trouble in the marriage and basically wound up scarred for life from being "checked" by her mother all the time. It's pretty sad and kind of messed up to me, because its not something that happens to most people here in the US but it's still "normal" to do that and place such a high value on sexual purity some places.

I read this years ago and as I recall it was sad, deep, and disturbing. This practice is lauded in villages in Africa where AIDS is out of control. The people are so poor, medicine is scarce and out of reach for may. The young girls are lined up for hours and "the check" is done in a tent. After each girl is "tested" a huge hoop and holler ring out if her hymen is intact. It seems humiliating and almost pointless, but they feel it is the best means available to control the spread of AIDS.

I think this book may have been an Oprah choice.

Keep On Dancing*
By kkevv
On Sat Dec 25, 2010 09:31 PM
I'm rereading Harry Potter for the 16th billion time! I feel a little nostalgic reading it, and I don't think I could ever get sick of it
By rehxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:26 PM
Memoirs of a Geisha.. I love it so far. I saw the movie about 5 years ago, so since it's nice that I don't really remember what happens in detail.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 AM
Just finished Janet Evanovich's book Sizzling Sixteen. I love her and it is a really easy fun read.

I also read Kim Edward Secrets of a Fire King which is a collection of short stories that deal with the human spirit--mostly women that had unknown strengths they never realized they had. If you like stories that deviate from the norm and have a poetic edge, I highly recommend the book.

I just ended the God of Animals last night. Easy read, fairly good story for a debut book by a new author, but the conclusion wasn't strong. I could identify with all the characters especially Alice the 12 year old. I remember being that age and feeling so out of place.
By lundsay_lindzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 06:45 AM
I've just started reading Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs
I can't seem to put it down yet, it's so gripping
I believe this book and others is what the TV series Bones is based on
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 09:49 AM
I'm trying to read one at a time theses days.

So right now I'm reading The Friday Night Knitting Club :)
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 AM
I'm in the romance novel mood lately!

However, I am currently in the middle of The Little Black Book of Style by Nina Garcia!

Its strangely making me want to clean out my wardrobe instead of go by a whole new one.
By dancer57575member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 PM
Elixir by Hilary Duff.
Weird, I know... but so far it is pretty interesting! Once I'm done I have 5 other books waiting to be read...
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed Jan 12, 2011 09:18 PM
I'm reading a book by C.S. Lewis who I really like. It's called The Screwtape Letters but I am having trouble understanding it. I am going to read a little more and then maybe I will just put it aside. It's a library book. I also just finished a book called The Carrot Cake Murders. It's by Joanne Fluke and not only does it have a cute story, but the person in the story owns a bakery so there are lots of yummy recipes in there too. Happy 2011 reading everyone!
By Merfi
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 02:06 AM
I'm reading The Two Towers at the moment. I finished Fellowship of the Ring yesterday, and in between I read The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night-Time.
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jan 13, 2011 02:34 AM
dancer57575 - is that book good? I'm a huge Hilary Duff fan and really want to get it!

At the moment, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I'm almost done.
Page:
Page 23 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch