Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 25 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:44 AM
Currently reading Emma, also for school! (I haven't done any non school reading lately!)
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sun Mar 20, 2011 08:10 PM
Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell. It's awesome. Truly amazing; I've never read anything like it. Six interlocking lives spanning millenia, from the 18th/19th century through to a post-apocalyptic future.

I only picked up the book because the cover was pretty (and it was cheap), but I'm glad I did - it's gripping, entertaining and a real page-turner. Definitely worth reading. :)
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 PM
Cloud Atlas sounds very interesting. I may have to see if my library has it. I clicked on your link and I'm glad that I did.

Right now I am reading an interesting book called Cut. I don't remember the author but it's about actors on TV and movies from silent films to today (the copyright is 2005) and how they died. It is so interesting to see how the rich and famous are rich and famous but all the ones I've read about so far aren't so happy. Very good read even if you don't know who some of those stars are.
By thatdancerchick
On Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:30 PM
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
I'm in love with it <3

I'm also reading Demian by Herman Hesse for my AP Lit class. One of my favorites from that class.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:47 PM
I finished Cut and I really liked it. I am now reading Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I read all her other books so I had to read this one. It's a pretty good read. It's a big book so It's going to take me a while to read it.
By DancingAngel925member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 28, 2011 09:21 PM
The Room by Emma Donahough(I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong)
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 PM
I just finished re-reading one of my favourites, 'The Truth About Forever' by Sarah Dessen and I'm about to start 'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult.
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 31, 2011 03:31 PM
I just got done reading The Thirteenth Tale, and I LOVED it. It's a gothic novel about a biographer ad a novelist, and it's so good.

Right now I'm reading Outlander, and I'm only about 50 pages in. I'm having a little trouble getting into it, but I think I'm going to like it!

-Jo
By Merfi
On Thu Mar 31, 2011 07:16 PM
I'm reading Howl's Moving Castle for my children's lit class, and really enjoying it.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Thu Mar 31, 2011 07:34 PM
I love to read about the Amish because their culture is so different from ours. Can you imagine no electricity and an outhouse? On that note I just finished The Storekeepers Daughter by Wanda E. Brunstetter. It was very enjoyable. I am starting Fly Away by Lynn N. Austin. Will let you know how it was.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Thu Mar 31, 2011 09:45 PM
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children%27s_Book]The Children's Book[/url] by A.S Byatt.

It has potential to be awesome, but right now, it's kinda falling flat, jumping around from the main story to plots of puppet shows and fairy tales, random backstories of minor characters, a less than subtle homoerotic subtext (really? I mean, really? it doesn't exactly enhance the story to read about character A being aroused), and great historical detail of Victorian trivialities.

I'm hoping it will get better.

I'm reading it on a Kobo e-reader, so don't know how far into it I am...
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 02, 2011 04:58 PM
I'm reading Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers by Louise Rennison. Real quality literature. I love these books so much and they are literally laugh out loud funny! They're a great pick-me-up after all the boring textbook reading I do during the week.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sat Apr 02, 2011 09:04 PM
I finished Fly Away and it was very good. It was a Christian book and had a good story. Lately it seems that I'm reading my library books a lot faster than usual. Soon I am going to run our of library books! LOL

The next book I read was Grace by Richard Paul Evans. He is an award winning author and I've read several of his books. Oh my gosh, this was such a moving book! I was sobbing at the end! I really loved it! I have to look for more books by him.

Now I am reading Whistling In The Dark by Lesley Kagen. So far it's pretty good but I am up to page 12 so I've only just started. I hope it continues to be good.
By boleyngrrl
On Sat Apr 16, 2011 08:20 PM
Louisa May Alcott's A Long, Fatal Love Chase. Very romance novel. But so far, pretty intriguing. Only on about page 24, but that's further than I got in the first Twilight book! :D

Oh, and I'm also re-reading Brisingr from the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini because his new book is coming out soon! I'm really excited for the series to end (at last!).
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 PM
I never finished Whistling In The Dark. It was creeping me out. It was set in the 50's in a small town, which normally wouldn't be bad except 2 young girls have been found dead and they were raped. Undies around their neck, stuff like that. This little girl thinks she's going to be next. That's as far as I got before I didn't want to read anymore.

I recommend The Walk by Richard Paul Evans. It was so totally a book that I needed to read. I loved it! It was written in 2010 and there is going to be a Walk 2 coming out this month. I have to read it!
On Tue Apr 26, 2011 05:25 PM
I just finished 'Unbearable Lightness,' Portia de Rossi's autibiography. I loved it! It was the first biography that's managed to hold my interest the whole way through. Her writing is so raw and real, it gives a great insight into her eating disorder. Highly recommend it!
By mcardles
On Tue Apr 26, 2011 06:48 PM
This world we live in by susan beth pfeffer, its the third book (possibly last, idk) in her series about an asteroid knocking the moon out of orbit, its really good
By SoloJazzDancer
On Tue Apr 26, 2011 08:43 PM
Another Richard Paul Evens book, The Sunflower. It was a very good read. He is an amazing author. I also read A Perfect Day, same author. I plan to read every book he's written. I do that when I like an author.

Since I have read all my library books, I am now reading one of the worst books ever! When I went to The Big E 2 years ago, in the CT building were CT authors. I thought it would be cool to read a book by someone who was from my state. It was autographed. Dummy me didn't read the cover very carefully or I wouldn't have bought this book. It's by *J* M *Rusin* (that's the way it's written) - **Joe Star** A Teenager Rock Star*

It's not a real bad story although it could have been written better but the English is atrocious! This person is not from this country and if they are, they so totally flunked English every year they went to school. I want to see how it ends but I am thinking they paid a lot of money to get this printed because I can't imagine any publisher printing what they wrote ever! I am going to print one or 2 lines from the book exactly the way they are written, no lie, then you will see why this book is so horrible. I should have saved my money.

One morning Joe Star got up and said to his mom and dad, I am going to plays and have my own band. They shook there head and said fine, son!
That's day, Joe decided to meet his friends at the West Farms mall. He told his mom that he will be coming home late. But his mom said, just be careful, and Rick said sure!
That evening, when Joe left the house, he took some money to play a guitar to play. But he didn't tells his folks about that's!

See what I mean?
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 11, 2011 02:24 AM
Jason Starr - Panic
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed May 11, 2011 09:51 PM
Another Richard Paul Evans book and I am loving it! This one is The Timepiece and by the time I am done, I will have read every Richard Evans book our library has. I am hooked!
On Wed May 11, 2011 10:16 PM
I'm reading 'Road to Paradise' by Paulina Simons. I'm 300 pages in and I still can't decide if I like the book, but I'm hooked enough that I want to know the ending. In my mind I know that the characters are never going to get their "happy ending" and I'm waiting to be proven wrong.
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 13, 2011 02:30 PM
I usually alternate between books (according to moods and ability to concentrate)

Sense and sensibility by Jane Austen mostly

but also

In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin

And just started first volume of Vampire Diaries for my tired brainless book.
By Cosine
On Mon May 23, 2011 05:47 PM
I'm reading The Mists of Avalon. It's killing me. The prose is cumbersome and cheesy, the characters get out of character every few chapters, and it makes me feel mean for laughing when I know I shouldn't be.

So I guess I'm really reading The Once and Future King because I've read a bit of that every day since 2008.
On Mon May 23, 2011 11:22 PM
I spent my day off yesterday reading 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. The Forever Young Adult (www.foreveryoungadult.com) website is full of ravings over how good it was and I have to say I wasn't dissapointed. I love that even though the main character Katniss was forced into fight 'til the death, the book wasn't full of her whining.

Now I'm contemplating reading the next book in the series. I don't think it'll be as good as the first, but I'm curious to find out what happens.
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue May 24, 2011 03:20 AM
^Prima, the first two books are good, the third is a little bit of a letdown but I think you should read them all anyway :)
Page:
Page 25 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch