Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 26 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 PM
My sponsor recommended Eat, Pray, Love to me. I've had it on my bookshelf for forever and haven't gotten around to reading it. I'm a little over halfway through and I LOVE it. I can see how people would be critical of it because she was stupidly lucky to get the money and have the time to travel for a year, but I find her search for healing and happiness inspiring. I also like how she doesn't try to excuse her faults. She reminds me of a friend of mine who comes across as a bit of a spoiled princess, but she's a genuinely kind and wonderful person. Plus, I can relate to a lot of her feelings even though my journey has been vastly different. I'll probably finish it today or tomorrow.

Most of all, I'm just grateful I have the focus to read a new book. I've been sticking to old faithfuls where I know the plot & don't have to pay as much attention. It's nice to finally read something new. It used to be one of my favorite pastimes, but I've had "monkey mind" problems for the past few years. Glad to have the old friend back, I must say.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:14 AM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2011-06-01 00:16:26
^ I enjoyed Eat Pray Love, but I do have to admit, I found the last third of the book (in Indonesia) to be a little disappointing compared to the other two sections (Italy and India). But, like everything, opinions differ. :)

I've had a bit of a lull in reading of late. Still plodding through The Children's Book, but I've also just finished
Hooked on Murder, a rather formulaic, somewhat cheesy murder mystery set amongst the tangled web of a crochet group. Like candy for the mind. :)

And today I started reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I've never read anything by Gaiman before (shock horror!).. so far so good! :)
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 08:32 PM
I've been reading a lot! I love to read which is normally good but not good when you should be asleep in bed. That's what happens when I pick out books that are really good and I can't put them down. Bad girl! LOL

THE THORN - Beverly Lewis is a book about the Amish. It's a new book so I only had 14 days to read it. Now I have to bring it back. It was good. She is an amazing Amish writer.

A SISTERS SECRET - Sisters of Holmes County Book One - Wanda E. Brunstetter. Another Amish book. It's good and I hope they have book two & three or I just read a book and won't know how it turns out.

REMEMBER ME - Deborah Bedford. This woman is a Christian writer and a good one. This story brought back lots of memories about going on vacation at the beach when I was a kid. I sure miss those days.

THE CINDERELLA DEAL - Jennifer Cruise. I liked this book because she made up stories that weren't lies but she just made them up. She was also an artist and did some incredible things w/a house. Very interesting and a good story.

ANGEL FALLS - Christian Hannah. I just finished this today. The woman in the story falls off of a horse and gets injured. She is in a coma and they can't figure out why she won't come out of it. It wasn't a sad story and the only thing I didn't like was how they took the Lord's name in vain. I plan to check out more books by her.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 09:19 PM
Just started The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I'm on a big Jodi Picoult kick at the moment- I've read Plain Truth, Nineteen Minutes, and Handle with Care (favorite!) all in the last couple weeks. They're all very emotionally taxing and dramatic and I'm starting to be able to predict the endings but I still like them anyway :D
By xBallet_babex
On Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:00 PM
^ I've read some of her books and they are kind of "out there" so I enjoy some more than others. My sister's keeper was my favorite.

Right now I'm working on Unbearable Lightness. I dont normally read autobiographies, but I'm enjoying this one.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 03, 2011 07:43 PM
^My Sister's Keeper is my favourite as well! I cry everytime.

I'm reading 'Fetish' by Tara Moss. It's so good in that creepy, serial killer way.
By PinkPearlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 05:02 PM
Just finished Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella and loved it! It was hilarious, a page-turner, pretty good twists. I'd definitely recommend it. Makes me want to read her Shopaholic books since I never read them. It's about a girl who gets visited by her great-aunt's ghost in her 1920's form...but there's just so much more than that. READ ♥

After that I read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant, which I also found fantastic...what a story! I am not familiar with the story of Dinah in the Bible, and I know the lack of accuracy biblically has offended some, but I thought it was an amazing read, intricately woven, connecting everything, some nice imagery (some not so nice/more vile lol)

And now I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, or rather, listening to it on tape. It's coming out as a movie in August. Since I just started I don't have a full verdict on it but so far it is enthralling and has some funny parts.

Happy reading :)
By CaffeinePremium member
On Thu Jun 09, 2011 09:51 PM
^ I enjoyed Twenties Girl - it was a good read. :) I read the Shopaholic series, too, but they bugged me, especially the main character. I much prefer the stand-alone books by Sophie Kinsella (Remember Me, or The Undomestic Goddess) instead.

I'm currently reading Down Under by Bill Bryson, about his travels through Australia. I bought it cheap to read and release for BookCrossing.

Next book on my list is Gould's Book of Fish (also to be released when I'm done with it)
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 03:30 AM
Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

I kind of got totally clinked to that brother and sister in love-theme since I saw a report on tv about it and ask myself how can that happen?
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 10, 2011 06:38 AM
Just finished Little Bee, didn't really like it, found it to be extremely unrealistic and contrived in a lot of parts, although Little Bee herself was a very likable narrator, especially in the beginning.

Now I'm about to start Three Cups of Tea. This one and Little Bee were both given to me by my future mother-in-law for Christmas, and I'm just now getting around to them because neither of them really sparked my interest. I am aware that there's a lot of controversy surrounding this book, but I'm going to ignore that until I've read it and then probably read up on it more, similar to what I did with A Million Little Pieces (which I actually enjoyed, for what it's worth).

Oh, and I also recently read Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler. If you like Anne Tyler, you'll like it. I'm not a huge fan of hers, only started reading her stuff because my mom's crazy about it, but I liked this well enough. It's actually probably one of her better books that I've read. But WHY do all of her characters, particularly the younger ones, have such strange names? I also get really tired of her whole shtick in which older people find younger people to be completely foreign and incomprehensible, but who knows - maybe I'll relate to that better when I'm older.
On Sat Jun 11, 2011 06:38 PM
I've almost finished "Hold Me Closer, Necromancer" by Lish McBride. After hearing everyones high praises of the book I'm kind of disappointed. The characters are all way too accepting of all the craziness that's happening and even though Sam's in some less-than-friendly circumstances I don't feel any empathy for him. The story's good, but I think it's going to be one of those books that is written as a series, meaning everything's going to be left open-ended to be explained at a later date.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:56 PM
You know what I like about this site? Besides the fact that I get to see what everyone else is reading and maybe pick up some new books at our library by authors I haven't read but you guys have, I'm making a list of the books I've read. Our library is having an adult book contest. We have to list all the books we have read this year by Sept. and I don't remember the day in Sept. exactly. The library gave us something to put the titles and authors on and we can get more if we fill it up. The one who wins gets a prize! The way my mom & I read, one of us is bound to win.

Anyway, here is a list of the books I am now reading: The Judgement, The Rose Trilogy 2 - Beverly Lewis. I love reading about the Amish and this didn't disappoint. However, the last one doesn't come out until Sept. of this year. I hope I remember the story by then.

Size 12 Is Not Fat-Meg Cabot. Yes, it's the same Meg Cabot as the Princess Diaries and I loved them. I also loved this one. I like her style of writing and this is supposed to be for adults. She has others and I amy read them too.

A Sisters Test, Sisters of Holmes County Book Two - Wanda E. Brunstetter. Another book about the Amish. I loved the first book and when I was in the library I couldn't find the 3rd book. I don't know if someone had it out, there is no third book although I doubt it, or they don't have it. I always thought because of the Amish's religious convictions, they never had any problems. I've since learned that it doesn't matter your religious convictions or way of life, everyone has some problems or other. I'm only part way through this one.

Plain & Fancy, Brides Of Lancaster County 3 -Wanda E. Brunstetter. I read the first one but they didn't have the second one so I took this one. I hate when I read them out of sequence because when I read the one I didn't, I have forgotten what the others were about but I'm not sure if the second one is out or they don't have it. I will check the next time I go back. I haven't read this one yet.

The Cookbook Collector - A Novel - Allegra Goodman. I've never read anything by this author and I haven't read this one yet either. However, when I read the dust-jacket, it looked like a good book. We shall see what we shall see.
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 18, 2011 09:42 PM
I am almost finished reading The Hobbit. I was hesitant to read this because Lord of the Rings was not one of my favorite things to read. There was too much description for my liking. I did read the trilogy almost 10 years ago as a teenager so maybe I would like it more now. Anyways, I am enjoying The Hobbit.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 PM
^ I love The Hobbit! I read it before I read LOTR and it's always been my favorite of Tolkien's work.

I just finished Secrets Of A Shoe Addict by Beth Harbison. A little light summer reading, lol. I picked it up at a Garden Ridge sale table for $4. The setup was pretty good, but the wrap up was lame. A little too tidy and 'happily ever after' for my taste.

I have another book I bought with it. And Sometimes Why by Rebecca Johnson. Maybe I'll start it tonight.

kk~
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 21, 2011 03:42 AM
I have a book sitting on my dresser I want to start.

But I'm reading Othello at school. Love Shakespeare :)

^^^To all the Jodi Piccoult fans, my favourite of her books I've read were The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, Plain Truth and Change of Heart. My Sister's Keeper got me into Jodi Piccoult books so I have a fond spot for it to. Handle With Care, it was interesting but didn't really grab me. I HATED HATED Picture Perfect, that one really sucked.

I eventually want to read Salem Falls, House Rules and sing You Home. The rest don't sound as interesting.
On Tue Jun 21, 2011 05:37 PM
^I LOVED Picture Perfect! It's on of my favourites. House Rules wasn't that great. It was very predictable.

At the moment, I'm halfway through Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult. Love it so far, although some of the 'I found God and now I follow His path' stuff seems a little fake.

I'm also reading the second Hunger Games book, Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Not as good as the first one so far, but still amazing. I'm trying to only read a chapter at a time to make it last.

In between the other two I'm reading Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife. It breaks my heart a little bit reading this book. The bit where Clare gets attacked by that guy and then gets Henry's help to get revenge? So sad.
By boleyngrrl
On Wed Jun 22, 2011 07:59 PM
I'm rereading the entire HP series. I just started book three (I'm trying to get through a book every day or two). It's cool to look back and hit yourself on the head a be like "Oh my god I COMPLETELY misinterpreted that!!!!!!").
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 28, 2011 06:26 AM
Catburry_Eater!
I always have "picture perfect" in my hand, when I search for a new book to read, but I always but it back :)
what exactly didn't you like about it?

I finished plain truth a few weeks back and it was really amazing!
On Tue Jul 26, 2011 06:43 PM
I'm reading 'The Second Summer of the Sisterhood' by Ann Brashares. I want to read the series again before I start 'Sisterhood Everlasting'. Brashares' writing is so beautiful and emotive!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Aug 04, 2011 08:21 AM
I finished Waiting by Marya Hornbacher about a week ago. It actually helped me see that my struggle wasn't related to addiction, but other issues. So that was a worthwhile read.

I'm working on The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It's a bit thick, but interesting.
By mandakp
On Fri Aug 05, 2011 06:21 PM
djchara wrote:

Just started The Pact by Jodi Picoult. I'm on a big Jodi Picoult kick at the moment- I've read Plain Truth, Nineteen Minutes, and Handle with Care (favorite!) all in the last couple weeks. They're all very emotionally taxing and dramatic and I'm starting to be able to predict the endings but I still like them anyway :D

Hahah you sound just like me!!! About a month ago I read THe Pact, Handle with Care, Nineteen Minutes and House Rules, in the space of maybe a week? Like you I started to just know what was going to happen haha, and they started all sort of sounding the same anyway, so I moved on.

I'm currently reading Don't Peak at High School, which is a really great AUstralian book, it's a compilation of stories from various Australian comedians, artists, musicians, and about their experiences of being bullied in high school, but how everything they went through actually made them who they are today...it's really fascinating!
By SoloJazzDancer
On Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:41 PM
Don't Peak At High School sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.

Right now I am reading a book that might seem boring to some but I am loving it. I originally bought it for the pictures as they are from National Geographic but I ended up reading it too. What I have been reading is very interesting and really makes me want to travel. It's called National Geographic Guide To Small Town Escapes. Can anyone say Road Trip? LOL
By mandakp
On Tue Aug 09, 2011 07:17 PM
So now I've finally started reading Game of Thrones, George R R Martin...my sister bugged me all through school to read it, and I always had too many other books on my list to read, and then somehow forgot about it, but now the TV show of it is out so I decided it's time to read it!
By RawwrrBekiiChampmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 05:04 AM
I've just finished reading number 7, 10 and 11 of the series of unfortunate events books :P
I now want to read the others, they were really good, quick and easy read :D
Love Bekii xxxx
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 AM
I just finished re-reading Border Music by Robert James Waller, author of the Bridges of Madison County. I heard chatter at one point that a movie was to be made about but it never came to be. I love Border Music because I know a man who totally fits the image of Jack Carmine and just brings a lot to the story for me.

kk~
Page:
Page 26 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch