Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 27 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By sarahbalera
On Sat Aug 13, 2011 02:26 PM
I haven't had the time to read a non-academic book in the longest time but now that I'm almost finished my studies, I don't feel too guilty about reading other books.

At the moment, I'm engrossed in "empty cradles/oranges and sunshine" by Margaret Humphries. It is about child migrants who were taken from childrens homes in the UK and sent to populate Australia and other places from the 1920's onwards.

I also have Harry Potter and the deathly hallows on the go too.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:28 AM
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
I'm not even halfway through yet, but this book is really awesome. :D (I'm reading the negative reviews on Amazon, and it doesn't even seem like they're reading the same book!)

Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality - Christopher Ryan, Cacilda Jethá
This is a really interesting look into the history of modern sexuality, monogomy, and proffers the idea that if they'd found the Bonobo apes before the Chimps, we'd have a very different social structure.
By highlandlassie
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 AM
The Bonobos and Chimps were also discussed in The Moral Lives of Animals by Dale Peterson. You may enjoy it, Caffeine. I quite liked the book. The one you mention sounds quite interesting having read this one too. Off to look it up now!
By Merfi
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 04:33 PM
Currently I'm reading Great Expectations for my 19th Century lit course. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I might, it's actually quite funny.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 04:43 PM
The Almost Moon (by Alice Sebold, the one who wrote The Lovely Bones). It's good in a sort of creepy, might not want to read it before bed kind of way :)
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Aug 31, 2011 04:45 PM
A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin. It's the fourth book in the series and it's taking me much longer than I'd anticipated. I can't wait to get through it and on to the newest one, though I don't know why. I know he won't release the sixth for at least another year (if we're lucky).
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 01, 2011 08:53 PM
I'm about to start "Graveminder" by Melissa Marr. I'm a big fan of her YA Wicked Lovely series and I'm hoping her adult series will be just as good.
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 21, 2011 07:31 AM
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
By sarahbalera
On Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:14 AM
Making up for my reading famine :)

I've just finished "The Magicians Nephew" and "The horse and his Boy" from the Chronicles of Narnia series. I've also re-read "Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone" just because ;)

At the moment, I have "goblet of Fire" and "Deathly Hallows" on the go, and I'm reading Audrey Niffenegger's "Her Fearful Symmetry".
On Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:56 PM
^What's 'Her Fearful Symmetry' like? I really loved 'The Time Traveller's Wife' but I haven't bothered reading 'Her Fearful Symmetry' because I've heard nothing but bad reviews.

I've just started 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' by Sophie Kinsella. I really liked the other books of hers that I've read but so far I'm torn with Shopaholic. Actually, I kind of want to take Rebecca Bloomfield by the shoulders and shake some common sense into her. And then cut up her credit card.
On Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 PM
The next book on my To Be Read list is Froi of the Exiles. Melina Marchetta is one of my absolute favourite authors, so it should be fantastic, and at over 600 pages it will keep me going for a fair while.
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 13, 2011 01:13 PM
Im about halfway through Child Of Morning by Pauline Gedge, about the only female Egyptian Pharoah ever, Hatshepsut. I like it so far!
By Boogledoomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 21, 2011 03:28 PM
I'm being a bit indecisive and I've got three books on the go at the minute. Ararat by D.M Thomas, The Naked Lunch by William Burroughs and Number 9 dream by David Mitchell, I just keep swapping and changing between them to whatever suits my mood.
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:42 AM
Edited by BloodyDanceToes (50660) on 2011-10-22 10:43:27 added
Last week was Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson.
This week it's Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro.
Next week will be The Blueset Eye, by Toni Morrison (and I read Sula about a month ago.)

I did not like Housekeeping. I'll determine the others later.

That's all school crap.

As SOON as winter break starts, I'm reading the Dark Tower series. I'm obsessed with Stephen King, and I miss him dearly.
By DancerKeemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 22, 2011 04:20 PM
I'm reading Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson. I'm only on the third chapter though!
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 05:07 PM
'Froi of the Exiles' was awesome! Not quite as good as the first novel in the series 'Finnikin of the Rock' but close.

I've just started 'Shopaholic Ties the Knot' by Sophie Kinsella. I didn't like the fisrt shopaholic book, but I've liked all of Sophie Kinsella's other work so I thought I'd give it another chance. So far my only thought is, why is Suze marrying her cousin? Ew.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Tue Nov 01, 2011 06:29 PM
^ I found the whole Shopaholic series irritating, especially the main character, and nowhere near as good as Kinsella's stand-along novels. (But I read them all anyway because they were there)

I started The Hunger Games yesterday. Would you believe I've never read it?

And my To-Read List is getting bigger and bigger:
The Hunter - Julia Leigh
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun - JRR Tolkien
Gould's Book of Fish - Richard Flanagan
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

... and they're just the paperbacks sitting on my coffee table...
By SoloJazzDancer
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 09:49 PM
I'm reading a lot of books. We've had 3 days of no heat and no power due to a freak autumn snow storm. I went to the library before the storm and boy and I glad I did. I read or am reading Sophia Loren's Recipes and Memories (I am part Italian and boy, there are some yummy Italian recipes in there), Heaven Looks A Lot Like The Mall by Wendy Moss, The Shack by Wm. Paul Young, Frogs & French Kisses and Bras and Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski, and Chicks W/Sticks (Knit Two Together0 by Elizabeth Lenhard. Pretty eclectic bunch, huh?
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:40 PM
Can I just tell you that I finally finished Catching Fire and Mockingjay. I am one of those stubborn people that really would rather have paperback, but I gave up that they were ever going to release them in paperback. So in 5 days I managed to reread Hunger Games and finish the next 2.

Now I need something else to continue my reading frenzy. I am thinking Out of Oz, not sure though since I did not like A Lion Among Men. Ugh, I don't know what to read next!
By DancingAngel925member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 10, 2011 04:31 PM
The Kite Runner (which I'm about 10 pages away from the end).

I have some books that I bought at discounts at Chapters, and some more that I bought a used book sale, so I need to read those next!
By hipo1
On Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:07 AM
harry potter & the deathly hallows is amazing.
I offer everyone 2 read it at least once.
IT ROCKS!:o
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:21 AM
Anne Frank - The Diary of a Young Girl.

Nothing major has happened yet - I'm only up to page 17, but there's a lot of stuff about antisemitism.

After this, I'm probably going to read The Lovely Bones.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:23 PM
I loved Ann Frank. It was an amazing book and very sad. Can you imagine having to live like that? When I took the book out of the library, they hadn't added the new part yet. I think they found more of her diary or something. Let me know how that part is because I wanted to read that.
By Pinkbubble
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 08:27 PM
Running and Philosophy: A Marathon for the Mind.
By SoloJazzDancer
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 09:50 PM
I am reading a really amazing book and even if you aren't a Christian, I think you will love this book as much as I do. In fact, I am reading it again because I want to understand exactly what I am reading. I think everyone should read it. It's called The Shack by Wm. Paul Young.
Page:
Page 27 of 32: 1 2 3 4 5 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch