Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 28 of 321 2 3 4 5 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1078, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 PM
Edited by Prima_ballerina5 (131898) on 2011-11-21 23:20:35
I finished 'Ashes' by Ilsa J. Bick last night. Wow. I'm not a lover of zombie books/movies, but I really enjoyed Ashes. I did not enjoy another cliffhanger ending.

Now I'm reading 'Mice' by Reece Gordon. I'm on the fence about this one. So far I think there's too much telling, not enough showing, but I'm hoping that that's just to provide some background. It's marketed as a psychological thriller, but nothing to thrilling has happened yet. I'm going to stick it out for a little bit longer and hope it improves.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1078, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Mon Dec 26, 2011 07:18 PM
I'm reading Katie Piper's Beautiful that I got for Christmas. It is a-maz-ing! Everyone should go and read it.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Mon Dec 26, 2011 07:50 PM
I'll have to remember about Beautiful and check it out.

I have been reading some really great books that are about a college girl who works for a medical examiner. If you watch the show Body Of Evidence, they are kind of like that show. Some stories are creepy kind of but not really gross, really descriptive so you cant read them before bed or you'll have nightmares creepy. I found them very exciting but believe me, it's a job I could never do. The authors are Christopher Golden and Rick Hautala and the one I just finished is Burning Bones. It's A Body Of Evidence thriller starring Jenna Blake. I've also read Body Bags, Meets The Eye, Head Games and Skin Deep but those are just by Christopher Golden.

I also read kind of a creepy but interesting book by Meg Cabot which is nothing like The Princess Diaries. It's called Abandon & it says She knows what it's like to die. Now death wants her back.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:50 PM
Never Let Me Go and I'm not sure I like it...but I'm not sure I don't like it. It feels weird, which might be the point, but I'm not sure I'll ever know how I feel about it because I just can't decide. I wouldn't say it's a must read, but it's not bad.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1128, member since Sun Oct 12, 2008
On Wed Feb 29, 2012 05:43 PM
the kanguru manifest is just finished
and know I am reading the 3rd thursday next :)
By oliviastarsdance Comments: 55, member since Wed Feb 29, 2012
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:13 AM
at the moment i am raeding an angel spoke to me by theresa cheung .its about true storys about people who have seen angels.
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:45 PM
I recently discovered John Green's books. I just finished Paper Towns, and it was really good. It really made me think about how we veiw other people. I'm about to start another book by him, called An Abundance of Katherines.
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:48 PM
Right now I am reading the complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of Sherlock Holmes. Every so often, I will read an author that I enjoy.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 AM
Inheritance - Christopher Paolini

I'm reading it because I read the first three. Not a huge fan of the series but it's a quick mindless read.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1128, member since Sun Oct 12, 2008
On Sun Mar 25, 2012 03:19 PM
right now it's forbitten by tabitha suzuma

I've so many books I want to read, I have to stop looking for new ones :)
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Mar 25, 2012 04:06 PM
I have a new book! One Moment One Morning by Sarah Raynor. It's supposed to be good! I will report back.

kk~
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Sun Mar 25, 2012 07:21 PM
I just finished 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green, and it was one of the best I've read in a long time. Now I'm starting 'Out of Sight, Out of Time' by Ally Carter
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:12 PM
I am reading Pandamonium by Lauren Oliver. I really loved the premise and idea of the first book, but I knew how it was going to end up and was pretty disappointed.

Now that I'm on the sequel I feel like Pandamonium is a good book but I don't really feel that it is connected to Delirium.

I also do not like that it switches times "then" "now" "then" "now" sweet-ba-jebuz! cut it out!
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 04:23 AM
I just finished 'battle hymn of the tiger mother' by Amy Chua. I know its not fiction, but it was a really interesting read, and very motivating!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:53 AM
Finished Inheritance.

Continuing to read Dexter in the Dark, now. I started it a while ago but got distracted with another book.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 AM
I have a few going at once right now which is a symptom of recently subscribing to Audible.com.

I have:

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
A Song of Ice and Fire by R.R. Martin
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down (this is a book for my Medical Anth class about epilepsy)
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:07 PM
These are some books that I have recently read. They need to go back to the library.

Richard Castle - Heat Wave. If any of you watch the TV show Castle, he is an author in the show, and his name is Richard Castle. This is based on the show and I don't know who wrote them as the show is fiction, but they are a very good read. There are 2 other ones I would like to read. They are new because they are in our 14 day section. Castle is a detective series and he is working w/the police to get info for a book he is writing.

Kirk Douglas - Dance With The Devil. I didn't know Kirk Douglas the actor was also a writer but he is. The story was depressing and I hate books w/lots of swearing & sex but it was a good read. I don't know if I will read another one by him though.

Elinor Lipman - My Latest Grievance. This was a good story about a family who lives in a college because the parents teach there and one of them is a dorm mother. I liked the story a lot but do they have to do all that swearing? I know I must sound like a prude but I do not swear & I don't appreciate people who do. There are other words they can substitute for the swear words, especially if you are a good writer. I would recommend it though. I will see if they have anything else by this author.

The Phony Gourmet - Includes 75 Delicious Recipes For Short-Cut Cooking - Pam Young & Peggy Jones - This book has some really good recipes and some really funny antidotes.

Jane Green - Promises To Keep. This was another book w/swearing in it. Why am I surprised? This story is about someone w/Cancer and what happens. It was sad but well written. It also turns out the woman in the book is a cook at a restaurant so this one had recipes in it, which I did not know when I took it. I may copy a few of them to make at sometime or another.

Happy reading everybody!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 02:04 PM
Greg Behrendt-He's Just Not That Into You

I've long promoted his break up book because it's that good. My sponsor recommended I give this one a try in light of my relationship issues. It was tough to get through the first 3 chapters, but only because it hit so close to home. I'll probably finish it this weekend in a bubble bath. So cliche, I know. ;)
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:39 PM
I'm currently reading Pamela by Samuel Richardson (for my 18th century lit course). It's okay, but I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I enjoyed Moll Flanders, which is the last book I read.
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:25 PM
SoloJazzDancer wrote:

These are some books that I have recently read. They need to go back to the library.

Richard Castle - Heat Wave. If any of you watch the TV show Castle, he is an author in the show, and his name is Richard Castle. This is based on the show and I don't know who wrote them as the show is fiction, but they are a very good read. There are 2 other ones I would like to read. They are new because they are in our 14 day section. Castle is a detective series and he is working w/the police to get info for a book he is writing.

Castle is my favorite show! I borrowed the books from my friend, and in my opinion the last one (Heat Rises) is the best.
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:29 PM
Now I'm re-reading the Hunger Games :)
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 PM
I got Heat Rises today. I didn't know it was the last one. It's a 14 day book again so I have to hurry and read it. Everybody has been taking them out and the librarian, who is older than I am, says she thinks he is cute and she watches Castle. He also used to be on my soap, which got cancelled, One Life To Live. He was also on another show called Two Guys, A Girl And A Pizza Place.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:59 PM
I just finished reading Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't... (Have Fangs/Date Dead Men/Live Forever/Bite their Neighbours) series. They're fluffy vampire-based chick-lit, and good for curling up when you don't want to think about what you're reading. And they don't sparkle.

And I'm a little late to the party, but I've just started reading A Game of Thrones. I've not read anything by George RR Martin before, but after seeing so much hype over the tv series (which I can't watch because it's not on free-to-air tv - boo!) I had to pick it up. Plus, Sean Bean, y'know... ;) I'm not very far into it yet, but so far so good...
On Thu Apr 05, 2012 08:33 PM
I just finished the Heat Rises from the Castle TV show. Loved it! Of course it helps that I also love the TV show.

Also loved Heaven Is Real, which I started yesterday and finished today! Wow! That's the problem. When I love a book, I can't put it down. It is written by Todd Burpo w/Lynn Vincent. It's about a 4 year old boy whose appendix burst and he had to be operated on twice. He didn't die, at least the hospital didn't say he did but he went to Heaven and met God! It is an amazing book and made me cry a few times. Please read it.

I also took out 3 books by Madeleine L'Engle, who is one of my favorite authors. I got book 1, 2 and 4. They didn't have 3. A Circle of Quiet, The Summer Of The Great-Grandmother, Two-Part Invention. All are The Crosswicks Journal. They have her in 3 parts of our library. The Anne series are in the Children's section. Then there are some in the adult section. These were upstairs in the bio section I think. I just happened upon these, I had no idea they were up there. I used to work in retail and that's where I met her. I had not seen her photo on a book yet but she paid w/a credit card so that's how I knew who she was. I told her she was my favorite author and I told her parts of what books I liked. She was so nice!
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 09:53 AM
Right now, I'm reading "The Stoning of Soraya M" by French-Iranian journalist Freidoune Sahebjam, who actually met and talked with Soraya's aunt Zahra when he went to that area in Iran to do a report about the situation in Iran at the time just after Ayatollah Khomeini came into power. I saw the DVD last August. It got me stymied to read the book. I'm up to the part in the book now where Soraya is being led out into the village square to be stoned.

I've read a bit ahead to the end of the book. It said nothing about what is shown in the movie when the village mullah (whom Zahra knew to be himself an ex-con) tries to prevent Freidoune from leaving the village with the tape recording of Zahra's account of what really happened to Soraya, and of the circumstances that led up to Soraya's death. I wonder then if the mullah really did attempt to cover up the event and to keep the report from getting out. From what I've read, too, it seems that the village mayor was a wuss to let himself get suckered into participating in Soraya's murder.
Page:
Page 28 of 321 2 3 4 5 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch