Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 30 of 321 2 3 4 5 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sat Jun 23, 2012 04:44 AM
I just went to the library so now I have more books to read. Yeah me! I have one 14 day book because it's new & it's called My Cross To Bear by Greg Allmond, the lead singer in The Allmond Brothers. It's pretty good but I can't stand all the swearing. Just because you know those words doesn't mean you have to use them all the time. I guess I can see now why he's had the problems he's had.
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1078, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 PM
I'm in the middle of 'Ma, He Sold Me for a Few Cigarettes' by Martha Long. This book is breaking my heart.
By caitydancerr Comments: 180, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 PM
I'm currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and re-reading The Hunger Games for fun. :)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Jul 06, 2012 02:54 AM
Moved on to Pandemonium... almost done that one... I have Lauren Olivers first book waiting for me on my kobo once I'm done Pandemonium... than I need a new book to move on to...

Any suggestions? Really I will read just about anything... I'm pondering doing a re-read of Neuromancer... it was a good read the first time I read it. I will have to see what the library has in store for me.

I still have yet to read a single Harry Pothead (aka Harry Potter) book...
On Fri Jul 06, 2012 03:40 AM
I am in love w/a new favorite author. Nicholas Sparks! First I read The Wedding which is the best love story! I loved it so much! The I read The Guardian and I couldn't put it down! I hate books like that because then I am up reading when I should be sleeping. Now I am reading At First Site, which I am loving too. Now I want to read every book that he's written.
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Thu Aug 26, 2010
On Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:37 AM
I just finished Looking for Alaska by John Green, and Extras by Scott Westerfeld. Next up is Pride and Prejudice and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes :)
By irishfeislovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1060, member since Tue Nov 16, 2010
On Sat Jul 07, 2012 05:07 AM
I just finished Sword of Avalon, and up next is a Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows,and the Mists of Avalon ( all to be read on my five week vacation)
By lavieboheme Comments: 16, member since Thu Apr 26, 2012
On Sat Jul 07, 2012 04:11 PM
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. I highly recommend it!

"'The body you are wearing used to be mine.' So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves. With no recollection of who she is, Myfanwy must follow the instructions her former self left behind to discover her identity and track down the agents who want to destroy her."
By stevenerinhill Comments: 30, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 PM
Right now I'm reading Catching Fire - Hunger Games second book. Just at the point where it's really taking off and getting good. (Gayle is in custody)
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 01:05 AM
I've finished the Parasol Protectorate series and I'm now reading Russell Brand's memoir, My Booky Wook. It's a fun read so far. I'm less than 100 pages from the end now.
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 01:41 AM
I'm reading Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, Art by Maira Kalman. The book is 354 pages but they aren't paper like most books are. They are shiny, glossy and the book is heavy! When I first picked it up, I couldn't believe how heavy the book was. It's good though. I'm really liking it.

Our library has a reading contest. You write down all the books you've read from June to the end of Aug. I think on something you get from the library and have it stamped & the person who reads the most wins! I'm not sure what you win but I want to win!
By Prima_ballerina5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1078, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:26 PM
^What do you think of Why We Broke Up? Would you reccommend reading it?

I've just finished Looking for Alaska by John Green (loved it, but no where near as good as The Fault in Our Stars) and have started The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. I don't normally like books about horses, but this one has such rave reviews that I thought I would try it.
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 04:22 AM
I really liked Why We Broke Up. I finished it.

I also just finished a historical book. I'm not a big fan of history anything because even though it's interesting, it can get boring and sometimes I don't get it. History was not one of my favorite subjects in school. However this book was very interesting! It was exciting too. It was written by Mary Hooper and it's called At The Sign Of The Sugared Plum. It's about 2 sisters who have a shop that sells sweets in London at the time of the Plague! There are even a couple of recipes at the end of the book. I can't even imagine living in that time when doctors weren't as knowledgeable as they are now. I recommend it & am going to look for others from this author.

Now I am reading "How good people are being drawn into Jungian Psychology, the Enneagram, and the Age Of Aquarius. Catholics And The New Age." I'm Catholic and I got it at our church. It's pretty interesting what I can understand of it. I need to go back to the library for more books.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 02:40 PM
I'll Walk alone by Mary Higgens Clark. Her books have kind of gone downhill now that she's written a bunch of them. They are still entertaining, but lacking some flair and pizzazz that they used to have.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Jul 29, 2012 04:27 PM
I've been reading stuff I either plowed through in college as an English major, or probably should have read. I've been doing this on my Kindle Fire (actually my wife's Kindle Fire.) Most of these are free downloads.

Life on the Mississippi , Mark Twain
Emma, Jane Austin
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austin
Jane Eyre, Bronte (I forget which one.)
Next up Silas Marner (to see if I hate it as much as I did as a high school sophomore, LOL.) It was probably my first attempt reading some "classic" literature. I remember the first quiz we had on that book, I failed miserably...and eye-opener. My English teacher, a very wise veteran teacher, noting that our class did poorly on this, then gave a pop quiz on "Peyton Place" which was a popular novel at the time (and later a TV series), but for most of us was the first time we saw "four letter words" in print. It, of course, wasn't assigned...Gawd, the scandal that would have been...but most of us did far better on it than Silas Marner. :P Our teacher, very tongue in cheek, said he knew what we were reading and his little quiz (which wasn't graded) was intended to show that we really could read and retain the essentials. While we all kept our copies of Peyton Place hidden from our parents...it was considered VERY racy for its day (1957), I was amused to find it in the "literary classics" section recently at a Barnes & Noble or a Borders (just before Borders closed.)

Jon
By stevenerinhill Comments: 30, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 04:13 PM
I'm currently reading Night Road by Kristin Hannah for my book club. I'm about halfway through and it's got me really hooked :)
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 04:08 PM
I just finished last week a really good book called Glass by Ellen Hopkins. It's about a family whose daughter is addicted to Crack. In fact the first book is called Crank. She's a teen whose dad the mom divorced is also an addict. He introduced her to the guy who got her hooked. She got pregnant & had a child which her mom is now raising. The drugs are more important. It is written very well & written not the way most books are. The words are not in one line after another. I can't describe it, you have to see it. They say it's fiction yet the author says she is raising her grandchild because of drug abuse. The teen is the one writing it and it's like a diary or blog or journal. Reading it makes me so thankful that I am not like this girl but makes me want to pray for her. I know there are plenty of girls like her. Now she is pregnant again & she's using. I can't wait to read the rest of the books and I think there are 2 more books. You have to read them.
By ameliadiane Comments: 34, member since Fri Aug 31, 2012
On Thu Sep 06, 2012 07:19 AM
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I've got a signed copy. :)

John Green is one of my favorite authors. I also love Looking for Alaska.
On Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:14 PM
I read another book by Ellen Hopkins called Tricks. It's about 5 teens who get involved in drugs and the sex trade. It is written like all the others. It's not supposed to be a true story but it is. I've seen kids like this on all the talk shows. It's really sad & it breaks your heart that kids are like this and feel that they have to be. One has a mom like this, another gets kicked out of the house for being gay and the rest, well, I'll let you read it.

I just finished a day ago The Road To Grace by Richard Paul Evans. His wife's name was Grace and she died. This is the second one. He is walking from Seattle to Key West. What an amazing story! There is going to be a third installment because the story isn't finished w/this book. He is an amazing author and this book is just as good as the first and all the other books he's written. Go out and read it now!
re: Which book are you reading right now? (karma: 1)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:49 PM
I'm reading Gone With The Wind again. I read it once every couple years or so. I'm about 70% finished, and after that I think it'll be time to commence my yearly reading of Atonement by Ian MacEwanas well. It's my favourite book ever.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 08:37 PM
I'm alternating between The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern & Mindy Kaling's memoir.
By AlandN Comments: 40, member since Fri Sep 14, 2012
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 03:50 PM
I'm reading Bernard Cornwell.
Anyone that likes historical stories should give him a go
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 03:56 PM
I usually read several books at once, not in any particular order:

*Darcey Bussell's autobiography
*Michael Fox's autobiography
*Chris D'Lacey's The Last Dragon Series (currently book one)**

**I adore dragons
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 07:07 AM
Just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain," by Garth Stein. Beware, that is an emotional book. A good book, but an emotional one.
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 06:35 PM
i've got a couple going too--

Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons and Bonk from Mary Roach. Just recieved my pre-ordered copy of Winter of the World from Ken Follett. I'm soooo tempted to put the other two down and start on the new one, but I know I'll never finish them if I don't read them straight through...
Page:
Page 30 of 321 2 3 4 5 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch