Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 31 of 321 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 09:01 PM
I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl right now and it makes me glad I wasn't born back then. I don't think any of the characters are likable, Anne especially. They are all two-faced and some seem borderline sociopathic. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it so I might change my mind, but I'm not loving this book yet.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:59 AM
I'm reading a bunch of good books and one book that I'm not sure about. I finished Letters For Emily by Camron Wright. It's about a girl whose in first grade I think. She goes every Fri. to visit her grandfather. Her parents are getting divorced but she doesn't know yet. Her grandfather has Alzheimer's or so everybody thinks. He writes these beautiful letters to Emily but they are for the whole family. It was sad but the way he wrote those letters was amazing! I really liked it a lot.

I took out a huge, beautiful book called Down In The Garden by Anne Geddes. I so love her pictures of babies! This book is so precious! The photos are amazing!

You will see I have read books by Ellen Hopkins before. I think w/these 2 books I will have read all of her books. The first one is Burned about a girl whose a Mormon but isn't sure she believes what her religion tells her. It is an interesting book but the ending is very sad. I so totally love this author!

The next one is Impulse. I haven't finished it yet. It's about a bunch of kids w/mental illness & how they are coping. I am so glad none of her kids were ever me. There but for the grace of God go I, right?

The last one is The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag, A Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley. It was a Staff Pick in our library. The main character is 10 and she solves mysteries. It seems to have been written in the 1900's maybe. It doesn't sound recent from the way it's written. I'm not sure how I feel about the book. I've only read 24 pages and I'm not sure if I will finish it. Maybe if I read more I will like it more.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:06 PM
50 Shades of Grey.

Hahaha, of course not. :P

I'm reading 'Hans Christian Anderson's Collected Tales'. I love those wonderful tales. I'm currently reading them because I was baby-sitting a family friend's 6 year old son (awwww ) and he asked me to read him a story from that book before he goes to bed. So I read him one story, now I need to read the rest. ;)
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:03 PM
I'm reading a terrible book! It's super boring, most likely because I like action packed books, but this is more of like an old fashion fiction book that I have to read for a book report for school!
By McLovely Comments: 44, member since Sat Oct 06, 2012
On Mon Oct 08, 2012 09:40 PM
^Well, what's the name of it lol?

I am reading The Great Gatsby for school and The Art of Racing in the Rain for fun. I'm really liking it...it's written from a dogs point of view and it's so good!
On Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 PM
I just finished Divergent and it was very good. I wasn't sure how I felt at first because I didn't think the first 40 pages were that great, but then all of a sudden I was 300 pages in and couldn't put it down. It was similar to The Hunger Games in some ways.
On Mon Nov 12, 2012 04:16 AM
I've read another very good book. My mom is 85 and my dad will be 89 this year. I seem to be picking out books about elderly people married a long time (my parents were married in 1950) and they are always so sad. I was sobbing at the end of this one. It's called The Pearls Of The Stone Man by Edward Mooney Jr. It is a must read!

The one I am reading now is for everyone who is a shopaholic or a shoe addict. It's really good so far. It's called Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison.
On Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:50 PM
I came across the 1001 Books you Must Read Before you Die and I read a few in high school so I decided to read some more and see if they were good too. I just finished Saturday by Ian McEwan and I hated it. It was so boring, wordy and repetitive. It took about 200 pages to have a plot and none of the characters were particularly likable. I'm going to try a few more books and see how they are, but if they are all like that I give up already!
On Wed Dec 19, 2012 02:25 AM
I just finished another good one. I seem to be picking them out lately. It's called The Cross Gardner by Jason F. Wright. It's a very emotional book and after what happened this weekend in CT it was an emotional book. Another must read. He also wrote The Christmas Jar, another good book.

Another good one but I don't remember the author is Beatle and Destiny. The main character's name is John Lennon. I liked it.
By steps11 Comments: 72, member since Fri Jan 21, 2011
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 06:16 PM
I have just been reading on a Kindle, "The Cruel Companion" by Graham McLean. I found it a very exciting thriller set on the North Sea. It is quite compelling reading with just about everything in it including a little romance. You can download it from Amazon or I got it from the link on the author's website, grahammclean.co.uk.
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 07:36 PM
I'm reading "The House of Mirth." Its a classic and it's great! I want to read "The Duchess" next.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:08 PM
The Hobbit. Went to see the movie last week and got a new hardback copy to replace my old, worn out paperback. I have to initiate it!

kk~
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:16 PM
Finishing up My Booky Wook 2 by Russell Brand. I'm enjoying it. Not sure what I'll start after that. Perhaps Perks of Being a Wall Flower.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:23 AM
Do books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Spot's First Shapes count? I'm reading them to M...

Actually, I've started Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth and The Perfect Storm bybSebastian Junger, but am not very far into either of them yet. I keep getting interrupted...
On Wed Jan 02, 2013 02:55 AM
I love The Very Hungry Caterpillar! I am a preschool teacher and I love children's books. Eric Carle is a favorite.

I am reading a bunch of books. I read 2 already. They are tiny, 20 pages each. The Mitford Snowman & Esthers Gift by Jan Karon. They are both Christmas stories and they were so cute. They were in the adult section and they had pictures in them! A fast read and very cute.

Next I am reading Sticks and Scones by Diane Mott Davidson. I love books that have recipes because I love to cook. These books have lots of good recipes. There is always a mystery or murder or something exciting in these books and this one doesn't disappoint.

The next one is a book, a full sized book and not a booklet, that they gave me after church on Christmas. We've never gotten a gift at Christmas before so this was very nice. I'm reading this along w/Diane's book, which is a library book. This book is called Rediscovering Catholicism by Matthew Kelly. I'm really enjoying this book too. It seems that very rarely do I pick out a book that I don't read because I don't like it. I love to read!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Jan 02, 2013 04:07 AM
I'm reading The Hobbit again after seeing the film because there was so much I didn't remember in the movie.

I've also got on my nightstand The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan (one of my very favourite authors), and The Kingmaker's Daughter by Phillippa Gregory (just pure, indulgent trash.)
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 02:33 PM
Eat Pray Love- How in the world did they make that book into a movie? It was interesting to read but I don't think it was phenomenal, especially when she's in India! SNORE! She is definitely a weirdo and came across as a really needy, whiny, clingy person for the first 3/4 of the book. I could see how she needed to go do her own thing and grow up at a little at 35 where most people have done it by then.
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:09 PM
Megan, are Ian McEwan's other books better than Saturday? That book was SO tedious to me and I really wanted to like it and it just didn't seem to happen.

Also I just finished Brooklyn Rose. It was definitely geared towards like 6-7th graders, but I got for $.20 and it entertained me for a couple hours. I'm not sure what I'm going to read next because I have so many books to choose from.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:24 AM
About to reread The Fault in Our Stars, which never gets old.

Just finished rereading Blue Like Jazz, which also never gets old.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 02:16 AM
I'll be honest, xBallet_Babex, I liked Saturday too, but in my opinion it really wasn't his best novel. I am obsessed with Atonement, really enjoying Sweet Tooth, and have read all his other novels, though. But yeah, I wouldn't say it's a fair representation of his work necessarily.

I'm almost done with The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, and I have been glued to it. It's excellent.

I also just read Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane for a history class I'm taking on South Africa from apartheid to democracy, and I can't recommend it enough. It is heartbreaking but so good.
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:32 PM
Megan, I have Atonement too so I'm going to try to read that eventually and see what I think. Maybe it was just that particular story line or something that I didn't like because there was nothing about that book that I enjoyed. It's not fair to judge an author based on one though.
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3922, member since Sat Sep 28, 2002
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 05:06 AM
I am currently reading the newest House of Night book. I need to hurry up and finish since I have so many books to read. Next on my list is a Doctor Who book called Human Nature and after that I need to finish Storm of Swords before season 3 of Game of Thrones starts.
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 05:29 AM
I just finished Handmade Marketplace . How to sell your crafts locally, globally, and on-line - Kari Chapin. It was interesting and had lots of web sites and blogs to check out. Next was These High Green Hills by Jan Karon. I just discovered this author and I love her. You have to read her books in order though and they are are in a series and I am trying to do that. The one I am reading now is Crunch Time by Diane Mott Davidson. Sometimes I can't put some of these books down and that bugs me. I really love to read!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 06:04 AM
Dune.

The Indigo Spell.

With Dune I have to put is aside while I read The Indigo Spell, Storm Front and Tripwire - because they have holds on them and will need to go back to the library soon.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 PM
Right now I have The Death Cure going (in an actual paper book) and I'm listening to Flawless Consulting (a recommended book for a class) and Pure by Julianna Baggott also on audiobook.
Page:
Page 31 of 321 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch