Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 32 of 321 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 30 31 32
re: Which book are you reading right now?
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 AM
I'm reading a great book at the moment. Its called "Lady Almina and the real Downton Abbey - The lost legacy of Highclere Castle." Yes I am more than a bit obsessed with the TV show! Its a biography of the life of one of Lady Almina, the 5th Countess of Carnavaron. Her home is the place that is now used to film Downton Abbey, and her and her family's life is what the show is based on. The book is written by the current Countess of Carnavaron.

Its an amazing book, fantastically easy to read and to enjoy. It gives you a great insight into the lives of the upper class in th late 1800's, early 1900's. Its so interesting seeing what they did everyday.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 02:37 AM
Sounds interesting. You said it wasn't hard to read, right? I may have to look that up in our library. They may have it or I might have to wait to read it. I've never seen the series before but I get what it is about.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sat Apr 06, 2013 09:44 PM
I'm reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg. It's a little slow so far, but interesting. The reviews were mixed. I've been in a bit of a reading rut lately and not particularly motivated so I think I need to find an amazing book to read next.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Apr 07, 2013 01:23 AM
I love books that have to do w/cooking and recipes. Some of them actually have recipes in them! The book I'm reading now is Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews. The story is good and it does have recipes. However, I hate when they use the F word and it's in here quite a few times. Being a Catholic I hate how they take the Lord's name in vain. Other than that, and trying not to say those words, the story is very good. I'd read another one of her books. Maybe there is a Christian writer who has a cooking show or a cook book and also has recipes in the book but no swear words. I'll have to check that out!
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sun Apr 07, 2013 07:41 PM
I'm starting the Game of Thrones series. My husband randomly sent it to me in the mail as a sweet surprise. :) I've only read a few chapters and honestly it's not that interesting yet but hopefully it will pick up.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Apr 07, 2013 08:18 PM
^ I read the first one and I don't think it was a fast read but it does get a little more eventful. It was interesting, but I had a really hard time keeping the characters straight for at least 1/2 of the first book, especially when they don't really "introduce" the nicknames and pet names the characters have for each other. Put it this way, I have the first 4 books and I finished the first book 4-6 months ago and still haven't started book two. In that time I have read probably 10 other books, so it really wasn't my favorite series. I'll see if I ever get around to finishing the, but I'm not sure when I'll get the motivation to struggle through the mess of characters again. I also didn't really enjoy some of the adult themes but I wasn't offended or outraged by this "evil trash" like some reviewers on amazon were. I hope you enjoy it more than I did though!
Page:
Page 32 of 321 2 3 4 5 27 28 29 30 31 32

ReplySendWatch