Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Advanced

Tap - Advanced
so i found out the REAL reason i was being put down.......
By tappingangel Comments: 908, member since Sun Apr 27, 2003
On Wed Sep 05, 2007 09:16 PM

okay..so i dont know how many of you read the teachers' section on here, but i posted a few weeks ago that i was moving to cali and needed to figure out how to tell my s.o.

well..the reason for my decision to leave, was GREATLY influenced by the s.o. telling me i was too young to teach, i wasn't developed enough, i didnt know a thing about tap or hip-hop..etc.

anyways..long story short...so i finished teaching last week..went to get my check today, and the s.o. pulls me aside and says "can we talk?"...we go in the back, and she goes, "i would just like to tell you that you did a wonderful job with the children this past year. you are a wonderful teacher and im really upset to be losing you...i just don't feel that tap or hip-hop are an important part of dance, nor do they have any background or reasoning behind it. THAT is the honest reason as to why you were being put-down." needless to say, i was EXTREMELY frustrated...especially when i rambled off BOTH histories, including details such as who helped to create the forms and when, and she STILL told me that it was unimportant....

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...is the CLEANEST way to put my frustration into words. haha.

PLEASE TELL ME IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHOS BEEN THROUGH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

and by the way...if anyone knows of any studios hiring teachers in ventura county, california...please let me know!!!! i dont want to stop teaching!!!!!!!!

any thoughts???????

2 Replies to so i found out the REAL reason i was being put down.......

re: so i found out the REAL reason i was being put down....... (karma: 1)
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Thu Sep 06, 2007 02:07 AM
I haven't been through that exactly, but I bet she's a ballet teacher.

Time and time again, I get majorly pissed off with 'ballet is the root of all dance' line. Not just because I think it's not true, but because a popular accompanying thought is that "ballet is the only dance form that's worth studying", and therefore everything else with less than strong ties to ballet gets relegated to the category of 'useless' and 'not worth paying for'. Funnily enough, it's mainly an American thought - here in Australia ballet is considered a good thing to have, but not the be-all end-all of a good dancer that Americans seem to believe in. Perhaps it's time to move country? ;)

It's also a cultural thing, I guess. about 50 years ago tap was all the rage... ballet separated itself from the musical theatre thing, and now that separation has proved fruitful as movie musicals have essentially gone down the drain. Since it's the only dance form with a reasonable chance of being employed full-time in, many people believe that it's the most "important".

My sympathies are with you, and I hope you find another teaching job soon with another SO that takes you and your training seriously.
re: so i found out the REAL reason i was being put down.......
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Sep 06, 2007 05:13 AM
I am fortunate that everywhere I've been, tap is very highly regarded.

It's terrible that you were treated so poorly because of your SO's ignorance and unwillingness to accept a dance form as legitimate and worthwhile.

If you ever want to come to Canberra, we are crying our for good tap teachers here. Tap has really taken off and there are not enough teachers who know what they are doing to take all the classes.

Helen

ReplySendWatch