Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Ballet To Rock Music?
By ballerina124member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:42 AM

Hey There!

I have heard some students in my studio talking about dancing ballet to heavy rock music. Its probably new, so I was wondering what input you guys have on it. And maybe if you could recommend some songs...

Thanks a bunch

38 Replies to Ballet To Rock Music?

re: Ballet To Rock Music?
By baile_a_chica
On Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:04 AM
Ya know I always thought mixing classical ballet with rock or fast beat music was really neat. It would be really fun too. I remember watching the movie Center Stage and at the end they do a couple numbers to Michael Jackson and some other fast beat songs. Since then I have always wanted to do a dance to a rock song!
By ballerinamum
On Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:45 PM
I don't think you can call Michael Jackson rock... !!!

But I agree you can do ballet on rock music and with rock music I mean heavy metal. heavy metal is often based on classical music. A lot of heavy metal bands are frequently used for ballet : Yngwie Malmsteen for instance and Savatage have beautiful music to dance on ! Savatage once made a cd 'Streets - a rock opera' and on these songs, often with a lot of instrumental parts, you could dance beautifully. The CD tells a tale and this would be a perfect story to make a ballet. The music is so inspiring ! Unfortunately I'm not a choreographer...

Ballerinamum
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:50 PM
A few years ago, the studio that I danced at did a pointe number to "We Will Rock You" by Queen. It was sort of cool - she kind of let the rhythm of the song dictate the movements, so it had a little bit of a modern dance element to it too.

And then at the end, they did a little silly bit, where one girl when up on one toe, kicked the other leg out, and the girl standing next to her played air guitar on her leg. lol!

t
By pheebs17member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:56 PM
I love dancing to pop rock, like Mica for deggages and tendues (Grace Kelly!) But I don't really like heavy metal types of rock.

Doing ballet to any fun music, is always fun, but challenging.

baile_a_chica I'm with you on center stage, I love that dance!
By ursula1
On Wed Sep 19, 2007 09:44 PM
I think it is a great idea, with GOOD choreography and GOOD Music There should be a great performance. Of course with also the right dancers for it. Ballet can be danced to a lot of diferent kinds of music, as long as it is done with good taste.
By Merfi
On Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:18 PM
I believe that the Royal Ballet has done a ballet to music by The White Stripes (though I think it may have been orchestral covers of the songs). I would have loved to have gone and seen that, but England is a bit far to go from New Zealand. :P

Last year, we had a ballet in our recital that was Bohemian Rhapsody, Innuendo and Killer Queen (all by Queen), and that was pretty awesome.
By Aurore
On Sat Sep 22, 2007 02:32 PM
For our recital dance, the music was Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. It starts slow then go faster. The dance was really cool, its pretty complicated to explain because we had 3 different classes (levels) in the same dance. We all practiced seperatly and came together for 2 rehearsals before the recital.
By debsmith
On Wed Sep 26, 2007 08:25 AM
I have done this and it is awesome. Go out on a limb. You have nothing to loose just something to gain. Choose a classical rock, liked by all ages. Keep lines clean and simple. Make sure your dancers have been working on this movement in the classroom. Chorus, verse, chorus, verse etc. Great beginning, powerful ending. Simple tutu's. Use advanced or intermediate dancers.

Have fun!
By danceskitz
On Wed Oct 03, 2007 08:40 AM
He he! Ballet to rock is awesome. Especially if can stylise the moves, I love the idea of doing contempory on pointe.
a peice of music I'd love to dance to is "into the nightlife" by the visions, it's got a slow bit a t the beggining, and then a more rocky bit later.
By barrebabe1706
On Wed Oct 03, 2007 09:17 PM
ballet to rock songs is awesome!!!!!

I have a whole piece choreographed to a panic at the disco song!!! (in my head of course hehe)

I agree one hundred percent with pheebs^^ I love mica!!!!!!
By cinthyammember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 04:05 PM
mx.youtube.com . . .

I saw this in my school, I think this is not classical ballet, is more like jazz, but, the music and the dance costume (Helena by Chemical Romance; black pointe shoes and tutu, net tights, etc) in general, the concept is good.
By cinthyammember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 04:07 PM
mx.youtube.com . . .

I saw this in my school, I think this is not classical ballet, is more like jazz, but, the music and the dance costume (Helena by Chemical Romance; black pointe shoes and tutu, net tights, etc) in general, the concept is good.
By DizzyLizzie
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 06:50 AM
I love choreographing ballet to rock music. It is really fun to mix it up sometimes. I think "The Way You Make Me Feel" would be good.
Also "Any Way You Want It" from Journey, "Canned Heat" are some of my personal favorites.
By SamanthaSagemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:11 AM
Edited by ABTballet (116150) on 2007-11-24 11:12:47
I LOVE choreography and am actually in the process of choreogrphing an entire ballet dedicated to rock!!!! :) I LOVE good ol' rock & roll baby!! :)
By twinkleetoes
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:29 AM
i saw a studio do it in their recital, but it was classical rock, and every ballet dance was that same type of music, and it was classical ballet.

it was not good

i like the idea if it is contemporary ballet
and NOT classic rock haha
By calypsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:50 PM
The last year I taught at one particular studio, I choreographed "Bhohemian Rhapsody" by Queen for my senior ballet company classes.
By Boyd
On Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:07 PM
I would like to see a ballet done to music from 'Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables', by the Dead Kennedys. It is hardcore punk rock, with this ablum being from the early 80's. There is a version of Viva Las Vegas which was used in the movie 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'.

Many people upon hearing the music for the first time might think that this is a joke. But I think that there are simple rythms and harmonies that flow through the music in much the same way as dissonant classical music. I think of it as electronic minimalism. In much the same way that ballet has been done to music by John Adams, I think that a good neo-classical ballet could be choreographed to this stuff.
By angieballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 12, 2007 01:49 PM
Edited by angieballerina (177970) on 2007-12-12 13:50:32 typo
The Joffery Ballet collaborated with Prince in 1993 to produce their "Rock Ballet", "Billboards". It has some really cool stuff, and some that is a little too "avant garde" for my taste. I saw it on PBS when it first produced and was taped for television. I really liked many pieces. It is difficult to come by, and only comes in VHS. I found my copy on eBay. I see there is one on there right now. It's worth checking out for ideas anyway.
By angieballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 12, 2007 02:00 PM
added a photo of tape... Billboards
By meagz21
On Wed Dec 12, 2007 02:30 PM
Yeah one teacher I had for ballet before, we did what she called "Ballet Rocks". It was so much fun. We did barre work to ACDC, Kiss, and all those 80's bands. It was awesome
By VulcanIdiotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 05:56 PM
Im not a great choreographer...yet (kidding), but Ive tried before and its pretty hard. I think it would be pretty hard to make a classical ballet dance to rock music, you normally come up with contemporary.

Which is great if thats what your going for, but if your not, then you might have a bit of a hard time, or at least I do.
By DaNciNgONmyGravemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 09:20 PM
Actually, there's a ballet company that only does that - ballet to heavy metal music. I read about them in Pointe Magazine... I think they're called Ballet Deviarre or something...? I'll have to get back to you on that. I've never seen any of their works, so I really can't tell you much.

~Grave
By ineluctability
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 09:26 PM
Edited by ineluctability (181324) on 2007-12-14 21:28:20
Edited by ineluctability (181324) on 2007-12-14 21:39:05
My husband informed me the the band Entombed did a ballet!
ENTOMBED To Appear With Royal Swedish Ballet At Grammis Awards -
Feb. 8, 2002
ENTOMBED will perform with the Royal Swedish Ballet at the Swedish Grammis (Grammy) awards, which are scheduled to be broadcast live via TV4 on Thursday, February 14th. As previously reported, ENTOMBED have lined up eight appearances at the Royal Opera Hall in Stockholm, Sweden beginning on February 15th as part of a show called Unreal Estate, with the band doing a 45-minute set of brand new, specially-composed original material while surrounded by 30 ballet dancers and a 10-year-old kid. The eight performances will take place on the following dates: Feb. 15, Feb. 16, Feb. 20, Feb. 21, Feb. 22, Feb. 26, Feb. 28, and Mar. 01. ENTOMBED's set will reportedly be the third and final set of the overall show, and it will call for two choreographers, Bogdan Szyber and Carina Reich, to get the ballet dancers performing around the band. For more information on the opera, visit the official Swedish web site at operan.se.

I am trying to find pics to post. I think this is wicked.
Something I want to do one day is ballet to Iron Maiden's 'Phantom of the Opera'.
I can totally picture it.
It's on a cd I listen to in my car every day - go figure.

Or Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the Fog would be wicked.
Video of Stockholm Royal Ballet & Entombed
By ineluctability
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 09:41 PM
www.youtube.com . . .

NOTE: Bad language in the comments section!!!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch