Forum: General / Ballroom / Waltz

Waltz
Teaching 8 year olds to waltz?
By sjsodance Comments: 52, member since Thu Apr 01, 2004
On Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:27 PM

Our elementary school is having an arts night. I have been asked to teach 4 classes of 2nd graders to waltz. I know how to waltz, but I didn't learn until I was in my teens. Does anyone know some easy hints and helps for teaching such YOUNG and inexperienced kids?? PLEASE HELP!!!

5 Replies to Teaching 8 year olds to waltz?

re: Teaching 8 year olds to waltz?
By Mrs_Tracy Comments: 65, member since Sat Jul 07, 2007
On Thu Sep 20, 2007 06:55 AM
I teach kids ballet, tap and jazz, but I'm also a ballroom student. Kids are actually pretty easy to teach and learn faster than adults usually do (they don't tend to have the nerves and lack of confidence that cause adults to mess up even more). The 7 & 8 age is my favorite.

I would start with the footwork all facing the same direction without partners (don't worry about technique, just where to step). Then partner up, but just hold both hands instead of a closed hold. Depending on how you feel they are reacting (lots of giggling or really interested and focused), decide to add the closed hold or not (but definitely no body contact).
By sjsodance Comments: 52, member since Thu Apr 01, 2004
On Thu Sep 20, 2007 09:06 AM
Thanks for your post. I also teach dance to kids, and they do generally catch on easier and are good learners. I am having a hard time getting the kids to get the counting coordinated with their feet (especially the boys). They are having a hard time getting the 3 count down. They just keep stepping and stepping and stepping. Any other suggestions?
By Latin_Queen_HLJmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 123, member since Thu Aug 09, 2007
On Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:18 AM
One two three hold. They tend to find it easier to count x
By emmas027member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 114, member since Tue May 15, 2007
On Sun Sep 30, 2007 02:03 PM
when i was 6/7 we used to startwith simple change steps down the room, first with, then without a partner. Then we moved onto box steps, then a whisk and chasse befor emoving into proper routines. It was all very time consuming but its easy for children to get the rythum quickly if you take just 30 seconds to dance it with them. It makes it very easy if you even dance it with one or two children whilst the others dance alongside! Thats how I learnt and now i'm 16 and off to the British nationals!
Good luck!
Emma
By Heidi2member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Mon Jul 16, 2001
On Tue Oct 02, 2007 06:02 PM
Why not start with 'ladder waltz'? You can even draw a big chalk ladder down the floor for the to follow. Then the steps are simple, just forward, side close on alternate feet.

Do let me know if thats any help!!
Heidi xx

ReplySendWatch