Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Starting a Dance Team?
By Jadamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 21, 2007 05:19 PM

My friend is a cheelreader with a slight dance background. I am a full on dancer. We are both freshmans. She keeps bugging me to ask the administration to start a dance team. I'm all for that but (1) no people in our school have dance traingin (ok, fine...GOOD dance training) (2)I'd want to choreograph/coach it-with help from the advisor (3) I'm on my studio's competition team, and my studio is 40 minutes away and I'm up there like at least 4 days a week. Is there any way we could start a NON-Competitve team with practices that would fit my schedule (so I could choreograph/coach it) Any thoughts, advice, pros, cons?

Now my second thought was next year (I'd be a sophmore) I could just start a "dance club" I'd teach the basics of dance (leaps, pirouettes, stuff like that) and little combinations. It wouldnt preform or anything but just be a nice little "intro to dance" type of thing.

So which one do you think would be the best? And am I overshooting by wanting to choreograph/coach? Thanks!

3 Replies to Starting a Dance Team?

re: Starting a Dance Team?
By poodlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 21, 2007 05:33 PM
I dont think you're overshooting. You are experienced in dance and want to teach others. I think it's nice. I'm sure that there a plenty of girls in your school that would be interested in it. The only problem would be with the administration possibly. You would have to convince them that you would be succesful in making the dance team/ club. They may want a grown up coach or trainer to help you out with everything. Once that is out of the way, you could maybe start meeting up one-two days a week and practicing.
Good luck!

Stephanie
By dancingrl247
On Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:43 PM
with my school you have to start a club first before it becomes an official team, but you could try the club first regardless of the rules at your school. that way you can see how much interest you have, see the kind of dancers there are, ect. plus with a club, you would probably have less practice hours/a more flexible schedule. then maybe after a couple years you could start up a real team. either way i think it's great you're trying to bring dance to your school- good luck!
By Jadamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 09:39 AM
Well first of all, thanks for replying! And I think I'm just gonna stick with a club...unless practices for dance team would be on saturdays or fridays when I didnt have dance...

*and another question: should we compete? I personally dont think we should compete. I'm on another team and I'd end up not being able to go to the dance team's comp's because of my OTHER dance team. So should we just dance/cheer at basketball and football games? Ok...all for now! Thanks!

ReplySendWatch