Forum: Highland / Highland Dance Videos

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Highland Dance...in ASIA?! Take a look!
By irishdncr4reelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 09:29 PM

I'm not a Highland dancer (did take it for a year when I was younger and remember some of the fling, but not much more than that!) Anyways...check out the video, are they doing it right?

www.youtube.com . . .=

29 Replies to Highland Dance...in ASIA?! Take a look!

re: Highland Dance...in ASIA?! Take a look!
By Ozflinger
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 09:36 PM
LOL, not really, but it was entertaining nonetheless!! :)
By Dancing_24_7Premium member
On Sun Sep 23, 2007 09:38 PM
well it looked like a good effort...
By Jennys_mum
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 09:00 AM
jennys mum here, thats how people think highland dancing is like , I went to see ladyboys of bangock and they done a special edinburgh edition and they did a fling like that too..
still all very enteresting...
By ceolasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 PM
Myabe they're showing how Highland was done pre-modern day Highland dancing? The technique we use today is only new compared to how old Highland dance actually is. I don't think they used to strive for tight shedding (and the textbook doesn't even mention anything about touching the leg while shedding!).

Just a thought.
By Rockstep
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:29 PM
^Our textbook does emphasize tight shedding. A shedding movement contains a "round-the-leg movement" where the dancer is supposed to "keep the foot as tight to the leg as possible" from 3rd Aer to 3rd Rear Aer or vice versa.
By glass_lass
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 01:44 PM
No - sorry folks, but I cringed all the way through it!! This should be shown as an example of "how not to" - it was very funny, yes. Entertaining, no - the CRINGE factor was too great to ignore!! :) HA .....
By seiyaferretmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 01:57 PM
Imitation has always been the highest form of flattery. I for one was not offended nor did I cringe at the video. They are obviously dance students, but not highland dancers. I thought it was cute. Yes, they didn't turn the correct way for highland & their sheddings were not tight. But it was a very well done coreography, and very precise to the music. (personally it's kind of my dream to one day, after I get my teaching cert, to go to Japan and teach a bit of highland over there.)
By Jennys_mum
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 02:21 PM
jennys mum here,seiyafferet, good luck with your ambition...
not that long ago on the threads there were vidoes of highland dancing and their shedding was not tight as todays.. The video showd girls dancing now and dancing years ago,also men, they also had the different costumes they wore plaides with their kilts.
maybe someone can bring this back on I dont know how to. but I definately seen it.It was when jenny asked for old photos someone put this on...???
By seiyaferretmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 02:56 PM
Edited by seiyaferret (139018) on 2007-09-24 15:17:51 added comment
Before the Blackwatch was disbanded I was able to see the Blackwatch Pipes & Drums in concert here in the states. There, it is a requirement for the young men to learn all the traditional dances. It was really awesome to see them perform in full regimental dress. (And I always thought our jackets were hot!) I might add their technique wasn't as tight as competition technique is. But it was so neat wo watch!

Not the best picture, but here is the dancers from the Blackwatch dancing a 3+1
Image hotlink - 'http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/seiyaferret/pipeband4.jpg'
By DanceBunnehmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 03:06 PM
Some of that music *Kind of* I repeat *KIND OF* sound like polish dancing music...I was just at a performance for polish dancing a few weeks ago, But it did not really sound like highland music...or look like highland dancing :/
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 04:09 PM
If you look back to the highland dancing of the 1930s, you'll see that it is very similar to the video in this post. There are some sites that have video of dancers at Cowal in the 20's, 30's and 40's. I'll have a search through some sites to try to find it.
By irishdncr4reelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 08:23 PM
I just wanted to add that in this show had all sorts of dancing in it (including Irish, which is what I do) and it was all for a dance demo from "around the world". I think there's a good chance that several people did many different dances from around the world here and that not all of them were traditionally trained. If any of you read Chinese (I read a little, but this is too advanced)...it would help a lot.

I understand that they aren't doing it very well, but do consider...they are half way around the world and probably don't have a real teacher!
By moara
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 08:40 PM
Maybe they aren't up to date with Western technique, but they did have smoke effects. You can't say that about many Highland competitions.
By booverly
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 08:42 PM
Their fling turns went the wrong way around! That was my cringe factor.
By scotdancer
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 09:16 PM
Moara - that was my first thought too! Smoke machine = cool! Actually we had one for a stage show we danced in once. It was hard to breathe in it- almost like particles in the vaour or something. But it sure looked good!

scotdancer
By RoadtotheIsles
On Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:40 PM
I watched the video to the end.
All that hand shaking - clapping - and smiling!!!
It just seemed so genuine.
It was heart warming.
They have the right idea regardless of the backward turns!!
By chazzygirl10Premium member
On Tue Sep 25, 2007 01:35 AM
very entertaining looked like they wear putting on a national show as maypole dancers spanish etc have to give them 10/10 for trying
chazzy
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 25, 2007 09:10 AM
AAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! omg that made my day!!! (im not laughing at you, im laughing at the video)!!! OMG!!!! AHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!

never ever show this to those younger dancers who just cant seem to turn the right way. it will totally confuse them even more.

oh and im not laughing at their dancing they tried really hard. but its just ... you cant claim that to be highland dancing... or at least get a person who knows what they are doing.

LOVE IT!!!
By ceolasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 29, 2007 08:46 PM
^^But what if this was a video of highland dancing from the '30s, as I (and Ceilidh_Dance) stated previously? Would you respond the same way even though the technique is similar?

I think it's a little unfair of us to be poking fun when we don't know the circumstances inwhich this was being performed...
By Highlandlizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:09 PM
I think the fact that it is like 1 am, and I have been working on an essay now for 13 hours... but that just grated on my nerves... oh dear. I agree we shouldnt poke fun, for we mawk, I cant spell anymore, other peoples dancing all the time, and now we know what it feels like, and I think I am talking in circles-

amusing anyways, goodnight all!!!!
re: Highland Dance...in ASIA?! Take a look! (karma: 2)
By jcbgmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 08, 2007 07:42 AM
Wow! Thanks irishdancr4reel! It is really great to see that other nationalities are trying highland. Even if it obviously being learnt straight from a book.

Some of the steps that those 2 dancers were doing I have seen in a VERY old manuscript from the 1800's. I did a lecture on it a few years ago, and taught the group some of the old steps. They had that backwards crisscross step.

I know it was hard for me, a highland dancer for over 30 years (and a teacher and judge) to try and interpret some of the steps. Imagine trying to do it if you were just a dancer, and not a highland daner and add the fact that english was your 2nd language!! I think they did a great job!

Whomever wrote about how they were obviously dancers, yes, you can see that with their deportment can't you.

And those that laughed..... Up you get and try and do a hardshoe Irish dance, or a russian dance, or try to pick up a ballet or tap solo with the corrrect technique! In fact - perhaps if you try a traditional Chinese Lion dance - that might be a good way to see just how well those dancers on the video did!!

Regarding the music, it is piano accordian, again, what most people danced to in their homes 100 years ago - parlour music! And that is the speed that the fling used to be danced at too! Amazing hey!

Anyway - just my 2c! I am so used to people from other dancing forms thinking we are 'quaint' with our traditional dance form. I am very defensive about it!! lol

")
By floragirl
On Tue Oct 16, 2007 04:29 PM
cool
By beat_n_mi_feet87
On Tue Oct 16, 2007 05:44 PM
they turn backwards?! I remember my first dance teacher always said "smelly feet!" so turn away from the pointed foot! very cool! it seems like a much earlier fling than what we do now! but still very entertaining thanks for sharing!
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Oct 17, 2007 07:28 AM
oh and im not laughing at their dancing they tried really hard. but its just ... you cant claim that to be highland dancing... or at least get a person who knows what they are doing.

like i said, im not laughing AT them, its just funny! relax people relax. for those of us who have been writing papers non stop since the first day of september stuck in our rooms with only the computer... things like this become much more fun.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch