Forum: Adults / Dance Therapy

Dance Therapy
Do I major in dance therapy?? where do I start?
By MadHotPunk Comments: 134, member since Sat Dec 03, 2005
On Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:11 AM

Hi. This is my last year of high school and I am starting to apply to colleges. I was thinking about being a psychologist cause I'm interested in different behaviors, but I have been dancing my whole life, and also would have loved to be a dancer. With dance therapy, I can combine the two.
I've been reading a lot into dance therapy and think this is what I want to do. I understand I need a post masters degree and all, but where do I start?? I know Manhattanville has an undergraduate program in dance therapy, but do I start off with a dance therapy major?? Or do I major and minor in dance and psychology and get my masters in dance therapy??? I really have no idea how this goes and I need to figure out colleges and all soon, so PLEASE help.

Thanks so much.

14 Replies to Do I major in dance therapy?? where do I start?

re: Do I major in dance therapy?? where do I start?
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:12 PM
Depending on where you are, Drexel University in Philadelphia is one that I am fairly sure has it. You can do a search, yes?
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 PM
First thing I would do, were I in your "dancin shoes" is to google Dance Therapy, and see if it's really a good match for you.

There will be movements that you will be encouraged to use with your clientelle that will probably be quite different from how you're dancing now. Also, double check on the salary -- make sure that it is enough to cover the cost of living.

Other 'n that -- Lesley College in MAss is pretty good, also, Antioch, Hampshire college has a dance major -- with a new creative dance course...

I would go to the various college websites and see if they have the department that offers the major, also offer the required courses that goes along with that major -- or, email/call/write the particular school, and ask them to send you a catalog that discusses requirements.

I'm sure you'll first have to fulfill your basic courses -- college English, college Math, science, gym, basic psych, basic Soc. all those things. Probably a language or two...

Do you think maybe doing some musical theatre as a minor might suit? That would combine your dance and your different "behaviors."

Also, have you looked at the stickies on this thread -- with the various submissions to help widen your horizons on dance therapy?

Good luck!

S.
On Wed Oct 03, 2007 01:47 PM
I looked up Lesley and they only have art therapy/creative movement therapy, and all the classes are "art" based, but Drexel did have a dance major where you have the choice to branch off into dance therapy.

So how do I know for sure-for sure-that I will like dance therapy?? It sounds interesting, but you cannot really know until you try it. And there is no real way I can know, is there? From what I"ve read (I did a little research) it's a lot of work to get that particular degree, but if I really love it, I won't mind. So if that's the direction I want to go, I go where they have a dance major, dance therapy concentration?

Thanks so much.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:04 PM
Manhattanville has dance therapy too
By sam_aka_kinky Comments: 19, member since Sun Sep 09, 2007
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 06:00 AM
roehampton does an ma in dance movement therapy, the association website for DMT has the list of places tat do it its admt.org.

good luck
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:50 PM
Thank you. I've been referring to the website often. But I'm going to go back to my original question. Do I have to major in dance therapy; or double major in pschology and dance; or just major in dance???
By missriss07 Comments: 183, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Sat Oct 13, 2007 08:53 PM
any of those will work. if you found a college with an dance therapy undergrad- thats great! where is it?? you need a background in dance and psychology. so you could major in psychology and minor in dance. major in dance and minor in pyschology. or just do pshychology since it sounds like youve danced before. i am going to columbia college chicago, which doesnt have and undergrad program, but they have the graduate degree which is where i heard about it from. im majoring in cultural studies, which is basicly a lot of psychology and sociology classes and minoring in dance. really, just do what you enjoy in college, because youll still have a few years ahead of you in graduate school.
On Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:10 PM
missriss07

Thanks so much...that is more helpful than you know. I was driving myself crazy looking for colleges where you can major in dance with dance therapy concentration for undergraduate studies and was only able to find like 5.
By Born4dance198813 Comments: 2, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Sun Oct 28, 2007 09:57 PM
you can also do a dance major with a psychology minor. That is what I am. I found out from a friend that a school in michigan has a dance therapy major... anyways they told her that there program at any other college would be a dance major with a psych minor. There has been graduates from my school do that and go into dance therapy. BTW i go to bowling green state university
On Mon Oct 29, 2007 01:44 PM
what about a psych major and a dance minor?? Does that work? And then of course-graduate school.
By dancebiscuit Comments: 95, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Thu Nov 22, 2007 08:52 AM
a psych major and dance minor works...i did that, and now I am in graduate school at Drexel for dance therapy. But you can major in pretty much anything as long as you have dance experience. there are people in my program now that came from social work, english, communications majors. We also have one person who was a lawyer, and decided to change her career to dance therapy, but she also had dance experience...so your undergraduate major does not totally matter, but you may find it helpful to have a psychology and dance background.
By dbluebirds Comments: 1, member since Sun Nov 25, 2007
On Sun Nov 25, 2007 07:44 AM
Dance therapy is a very rewarding career for many of us who love dance and love to work with people in a psychological manner. As others have suggestd, you can go to a school which has an undergraduate degree in dance therapy if there are some. However, it is equally fine to do your undergraduate degree majoring and minoring in dance and psychology. Because you already have a strong dance background, I would do the major in psychology with the minor in dance. Some schools also do double majors these days. Also, Lesley University has a fine dance therapy graduate program. I'm an instructor in that program.
On Sun Nov 25, 2007 01:46 PM
thanks you guys. That really helps, and I've decided to concentrate more on dance therapy after a undergraduate psychology major. This was all really helpful for me.
By manhattanizedxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 604, member since Sat Dec 06, 2003
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 04:14 PM
Goucher College in Maryland has a dance therapy program. FYI

ReplySendWatch