Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4
Philosophy
December 23, 2012
By rince_girl Comments: 434, member since Sun Jul 23, 2006
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 06:20 PM

Hey everyone.
In my Comparative Civilization class at school, we watched a video about the Mayan Civilization and it said that they end of this world will be on Sunday, December 23, 2012.
This TERRIFIED me! I looked it up a little and read that most of the world will die that day but I failed to find much more information.
Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks,
:)

75 Replies to December 23, 2012

re: December 23, 2012
By m_rc Comments: 2274, member since Tue Jul 11, 2006
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 06:26 PM
wrote:

it said that they end of this world will be on Sunday, December 23, 2012.

"Poppy-cock"

I say.

That statement derives from deductions off incomplete translations of VERY FEW (I think 2 or 3 were ever found remaining) Mayan texts. I think I'll sleep in that day just to thumb my nose at them.

I thinks there was a thread about this in the Religion board a while back.
By JustineTarinimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1865, member since Tue Jun 14, 2005
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 06:32 PM
Just like the world was supposed to blow up in 2000. You will never know until that precise date, and also, why go all crazy and horde water and stuff when you aren't even sure if the world will end on that date?
re: December 23, 2012 (karma: 4)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 AM
The world has been predicted to end many times. Each time someone hands out an exact date that the end of the world will arrive, people sell everything, and gather at whatever place is designated, and wait in vain, OR they take their own lives, like the Heaven's Gate folks here in the US about 10 years ago.

There is no way to predict the end of the world, no matter what the Mayans, the Left Behind books, or your fortune cookie from teh corner Chineese restaurant say.

My personal belief is that if someone were to figure out what day the world truely was going to end, God would reset the countdown clock, because he said no one can know the day or the time.
By LiquidIcemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 679, member since Wed Apr 04, 2007
On Mon Oct 15, 2007 07:41 PM
There was an article about this in either our local paper or our big one (e.g: The Vancouver Sun).

The guy said many people have tried to predict the end of the world, but have been unsuccessful. Sooooo, I dunno. I won't even have graduated from high school yet! And um, well, if it ends on the 23rd of December, 2012, then I owe the person who predicted it a dollar :P
By ShearLuxuryPremium member Comments: 1644, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Mon Oct 15, 2007 08:22 PM
This is such crap. There's also been threads on DDN about the "end of the world" as predicted by the Mayans on Dec. 12, 2012 (12-12-12) and also Dec. 21, 2012 (12-21-12). There's been theories of "total planetary allignment" causing gravity to rear it's ugly head and, well, kill us all. Seriously, in the entire history of our solar system, I believe all the planets have aligned before. It's all going to be alright.

The only thing I can be sure of is, with all these yo-yos running around, the 2012 holiday season is going to be, like, doubly stressful.

-le sigh-
By Clodaghmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 951, member since Wed Dec 27, 2006
On Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 AM
hmmm according to something i read the world was going to end in febuary 2006.. would ya look at that its october 07... how'd that happen?
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Oct 18, 2007 04:50 PM
The world will end when all is said and done.
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2842, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Thu Oct 18, 2007 05:47 PM
I remember back in 2002, when I was in fourth grade, the whole school was talking about how the world would end the first day of 2003.

I say, when the world ends...it ends. There's really nothing we can do about it, so bring it on.
re: December 23, 2012 (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Oct 18, 2007 06:39 PM
Jeez! Ya mean I have to wait 5 MORE YEARS??!!??
By alleycatmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8306, member since Mon Apr 01, 2002
On Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:47 PM
and also Dec. 21, 2012 (12-21-12)

I lol'ed, we write the dates the other way around, and I forgot for a moment that I was on an american site. I was like; 'Huh? 21.12.12?? What's up with that?' which brings me to my next point; Why would they use a western calendar??
On Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 PM
They didn't...as I recall it's some crazies' mathematical deduction based on the knowledge of how their calendar worked, and knowing the date of Cortez's landing in said calendar.

NO...I only know 'cause I was REALLY bored and watched a History Channel special on it a year or so ago.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Sun Oct 21, 2007 07:28 AM
I remember in the 80's reading about the end of the world...hmmm 2000? There have been numerous "guesses" and those dates have come and gone. What makes this date any more accurate than the others?

When it happens, it happens, it's not like anyone can do anything about it?
By harajuku_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2174, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:50 PM
2012 is not something to be afraid of... be happy that it is happening for everyone on earth. it does not mean the end of the world at all.. it means the end of the way things used to be (ignorance, cruelty, violence, war, etc.) and the beginning of things like higher knowledge, understanding, tolerance, consciousness, and peace! it means the earth will be a lot different, but in a much better way!
By deftonermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1565, member since Sun Jun 08, 2003
On Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:19 PM
I thought the end of the world was June 6, 2006? You know, 666?

If I try to stop my eyes from rolling, my head will fall off.

Blessed Be
By dancin_til_death Comments: 4381, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 AM
I didn't even thing that the Mayans had a calender...

I'll have a end of the world party on that date, it'll be awesome

Many times this has happened, a freak of when will this occur, of course it is always a "test"
By dancer_all_daymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2326, member since Thu Feb 12, 2004
On Wed Oct 31, 2007 05:31 PM
Edited by pharmadancer (87219) on 2007-12-13 07:21:06 markup codes are not to be used for entire posts - pink writing makes it hard to read
I also saw the video that you saw on the Mayan Civilization, but what made it creepy was that all their OTHER dates and calculations were CORRECT, so it kind of makes you think 'Hmmm are they gonna be right this time?' lol.

Also, about the year 2000, I was told that it was all a scandel and that the "bug" that was supposed to cause all electricity to go off (if that what you're talkign about, I forgot the name, somthing with a Y), was a threat from Bill Gates to shut down Microsoft, which he easily has the power to do, and would've caused about every computer to shut down lol. But I'm not sure if that's even what you guys mean about "2000."[/color]
By VulcanIdiotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 862, member since Sun Feb 19, 2006
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 09:15 PM
Actually, the Mayans have predicted other things fairly accuratly. What I think... the world will not end on December 23,2008. But I do think that something big will happen. It doesnt necessarly mean that the world will end because the Mayans did not predict that specifically. Besides that doesnt mean that whatever happens is going to be bad. It could be good.

Dont sweat it, and dont trust what you read too much.But you might be interested in reading, "Nothing in this book is true, but its exactly how things are" by Bob Frissell, and read "The Return of Quetzalcoatl" by Daniel Pinchbeck. You might find it interesting. I haven't finished the second book because I had to return it to the library, but so far it was really good.
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 09:49 PM
Dancin_til_death, can I come to your party?! :P

Okay, so those of you saying that they have predicted other things accurately, can you provide a source? I don't know much about this topic, and I'd like to hear facts to support your statements.
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:22 PM
When your "predictions" consist of...

"This will be a time of turmoil"

or

"There will be great hunger"

Odd are quite good, somewhere in the world-that will be the case. I too can be a prophet of doom if I predict "there will be death tomorrow" or "there may be car accidents" the day afterwards.

Their "predictions" are nore less and no more than any other soothsayer you might read in your local rag.

Methinks.
By WildSpiritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1178, member since Fri Mar 02, 2007
On Tue Dec 11, 2007 03:20 PM
Actually there are many theories about the year 2012 becouse of the Maya Civilization.And personally I don`t think it is something stupid.The Maya`s calendar is the most precise ever.They predicted so many things.
Anyway..I read about "the end of the world" in 2012 but..it`s not about this.It won`t be any end of the world.There will be just some changes.Good changes I think..The material world won`t be so important anymore and people will be more spiritual.
Also maybe you`ve heard that a day doesn`t have anymore 24 hours but 16 hours.We will be very tired and we`ll dream very much..Anyway..it is very much to say about this subject.You can search with google.
The truth is that we can`t know when will be the end of the world..and I don`t think we should think about this.
Live beautiful.
Hugs
By Chapter17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 339, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Thu Feb 07, 2008 02:59 PM
I read a book that was from like 1962 that said pretty much in 2000 we'd have floating cars and personal robots in every home. Like the cartoons do.

So, I guess, believe what you want. lol
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:03 PM
Ok.

So in class today, I asked my professor about this mayan calendar thing, and how it works.

He says that they have two calendars and one is like the daily calendar, and one is the religious calendar.

Calendar A has like 350 days (I can't remember the numbers.. but I don't care to do the math), and calendar B has like 260 days. And they only line up every 52 years. So every 52 years, the mayans predict that something will happen. Like once they predicted a time of war and destruction, and I think they were off by a year, but it was a time when the mayans were taken over.

He said he didn't know about this "end of the world" thing, or what exactly the prediction is, or based off of. But I just thought it was interesting how that calendar worked.

-bdt-
By Fyrefly525member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 532, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Fri Feb 08, 2008 07:55 PM
Edited by ILLUSIONSDncteam (115143) on 2008-02-08 20:04:47
Edited by ILLUSIONSDncteam (115143) on 2008-02-08 20:22:19
I heard everything from December 16-23, but the year is always the same.

But I don't believe it. What I do believe is that early pagans that believed and followed the zodiac, say that the "end of times", is nothing more than the end of age of Pisces. The age that began supposedly when Jesus was born. Notice the fish theme that follows the ideas and teaching of Jesus? The scripture in the bible states that Jesus told his people that he will be with them until the end of the age, and that date was supposed to be Armageddon according to the Christians. Now the age of Pisces is believed to end in well over 500 years from now. And the day is December 21, the start of winter in the pagan calendar. The next age is the age of Aquarius....... sound familiar to any 1960's song? So even if the world as we know it does end when the age of Pisces completes it's run, we will all be long gone anyway. It will be our far distant children that will know for sure.

But who is to say that something big wont happen in 2012? It could be that the war will finally be over that year, or a new plague will kill thousands or something like that. But as for the world ending. I don't think so. Just always remember that words and ideas are relative. Meaning that things can be translated or viewed in the complete opposite to what the originator meant to show. What is considered the "end of the world" to one person can mean nothing at all to another. For example; when a child is told that theu are moving or they have to choose which divorced parent to live with, to them it could seem like the "end of the world". So what the Mayans may gave foreseen as the end of the world, may be when they THOUGHT THEIR way of life would become obsolete. But we now know that their reign as a powerful force ended much sooner. But at the same time that idea could be completely wrong. So I say fear not. Oh and also, that's just when the Mayan calendar ends. It never said that it meant the end of times. It just stopped like as if that's all the predictions they had or they just never finished it or something.

I also believe that, though we as humans on this planet we call earth will experience horrible natural disasters, the demise of man will not come from some supernatural force that creates gigantic floods, fires, plagues, and infestations, famine, and things like that. The demise of man kind will be wrought by man himself. Man will keep using all the last resources the earth has left to offer, and man will bring famine and disease on himself. Man will fight wars for what little food and resources are left, and the wars will be so great that man will destroy himself. I think it's necessary too. In order for the creatures of this planet to ever truly advance, man needs to basically die out and start over. And most importantly, learn from our mistakes.
By DarkIvymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6601, member since Mon Feb 04, 2002
On Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:35 PM
Both the Aztecs and the Mayans were very into calenders. They had super intense things going on with all of it, it's pretty complicated stuff.

The interesting thing to be noted is that both societies believed that history was cyclical, things would eventually repeat themselves. This went along not only with life and death, but the world as well. I know more about Aztec views on this, but according to them, we are on the third cycle of the world being created. According to them, the world is created and destroyed by the gods. I think Mayan culture shared similar beliefs, but I'm not sure.

In any case, I get the sense that the prediction for the end of the world is based on these cyclical creation/destruction views tied in with their calender systems.

As for the supposed "accuracy" of some of these calenders, it's really hard for me to argue one way or the other, because I don't know a lot about it. Will the world end? Probably not. It was just one society's views on how the world is created and destroyed. These folks were incredibly intelligent, but that doesn't mean they knew everything.
Page:
Page 1 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch