Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
re: December 23, 2012
By cbcjazzspazz Comments: 326, member since Mon May 14, 2007
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 05:51 PM
Well, there's no way to know for sure, but even if the world were to come to an end during 2012 that really does say a lot about the quote "live life to the fullest." and after reading this post I will definitley apply to my life a lot more. I don't neccesarily beleive that this will happend, but everybody has their death sometime, for some it may even be tommorow or the next day. God is the only one who knows your own fate so don't freak out over this. The odds of this happening are probably the odds of you getting hit by a bus tommorow.

cbcjazzspazz
live life to the fullest!
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 06:08 PM
Well, time is going to come to an end. Seriously. Because whomever made the Mayan calendars forgot to add in the upgrade, so that it would be possible to move into the next version of the Mayan calendar OS.

Meaning, they probably created that calendar up until 2012, and joked with eachother, "Well, OUR part is done. Screw them if they don't know how to make another one when this one is done. Bottom line: WE won't have to worry about it. haa haa haa."
(Well that's what *I* would have thought.)

Just think of everyone zooming around with "vintage" Mayan calendars... they'll probably be collector's items. They'll probably be selling on Ebay and Craig's List for what one would pay for a Cabbage patch or a barbie doll.

Right. The end is near -- invest in coffins...

surrrr e! :P

S.
By enlair89 Comments: 828, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 06:33 PM
I just read where the Mayans predicted the sixth world (not the world) was going to end on Dec. 23, 2012. Some people will survive (the rest will die off from all the hot air from the 2012 presidential election..lol). The end of the seventh world, by the way is April 4, 7147. Don't think anyone of us will be around then.

As for the accuracy of the Mayan calendar...I'm not aware that they've made any other predictions. Is there a Mayan Nostradamus I'm not aware of?

BTW, I just typed this on an old computer that did not get any Y2K software...lol
By Meg_a_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 221, member since Sun Dec 31, 2006
On Wed Mar 05, 2008 03:59 PM
I saw that one too! It freaked my entire spanish class out for a long time! But then I decided that they said that the world was going to end "as we know it". So I see it as perhaps something huge will happen just to change our lives. And anywho. The world could end any day. My host sister told me that Punterenas, Costa Rica was supposed to dissapear at the millinium... an it's still there! I;ve seen it!
Not to worry!
Smiles
By nadirisgift Comments: 54, member since Wed Sep 13, 2006
On Sat Mar 08, 2008 08:34 PM
We have no control over things beyond ourselves whether it be someone else's feelings, our own, the natural world, spiritual world, or the "end of the world as we know it" Obsessing about these things leaves little room to focus on what we can do to exist in peace and love and make this time here well spent. Many of these predictions,even readings by those who are very insightful whom I admit I have asked of their feelings about my life and where I will wind up, turn out to be self-fulilling prophesy. Be careful in what you believe-you just might create that for your experience of this life.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Fri Mar 14, 2008 03:28 PM
Just to give you some info about the Mayan religion, they believe that there are four suns: one for each direction. The north, south, and west suns have all died and this sun, the east sun, is the last one. They believed that when this sun died, the world will end. December 23 is the winr solstice, meaning that the day is shortest then. The mayans feared that as the days got shorter in winter, it meant the sun was dying. Since december 23 is the shortest day of the year, it would make sense that they would believe the world would end on that day.

However, the mayans also realized a few days later that the days started getting longer again, so the sun was not really dying after all. This is why Christmas falls on the day it does.

I have heard that Decmber 23, 2012 is the only day predicted for the end of the world that has not been proven wrong. But what makes it proven right? The world will end when it will end. There is nothing you can do about it. Best not to think about it.
re: December 23, 2012 (karma: 1)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Fri Mar 14, 2008 03:49 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Why is it so many youngsters are afraid of "end of the world predicted for (insert random date here)but....

....constantly text and drive.
or
....drive without a seatbelt.
or
....any number of stupid things that will probably kill them before the random date 'chosen' by insert random historical intellectual(s) here.
By Miss_Wolfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 956, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Fri Mar 14, 2008 09:05 PM
I don't think this will be the end of the world...it could end tommorow for all we know! But if it is, not too much we can do about it anyway! Oh wells.
P.S: I had a thread about this a few months ago in the religion forum! woo! You might want to check it out.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Tue Mar 18, 2008 09:12 AM
Psh, I'll be pissed if the world ends the day before my birthday. :P
By strivetodance Comments: 99, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Wed Apr 02, 2008 06:20 PM
Guess we will just have to wait and see, hm?
I also want to know why December 23, 2012 is the only date that hasn't been proven incorrect. In fact I want to know why it is December 23, 2012 and not December 22, 2012 (or whatever else). Unless someone already stated that in this thread and I missed it...
By snowdancing Comments: 143, member since Mon Oct 18, 2004
On Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:31 PM
Haha, this reminds me of the play Unity (1918). For those who aren't familiar there's a character who thinks the world will end on some specific date( I forget which) in the year 1918. Aah..good play.

Anyway, yeah. From what I know of geological history and stuff, the earth is not just going to spontaneously die. For our species to go exist, even a massive meteor wouldn't wipe out everything instantly. The impact that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs (well, theoretically, but probably) only killed a small percent of them with the actual impact...the rest was over a longer period of time, when pretty much all life ceased (think nuclear winter except not nuclear). Other things that caused extinctions take place similarily over millions of years (ice ages, volcanic effects etc.) So we would know it was happening, and would probably die from age/other causes before the catastrophic event did. As for the earth itself dying...it's going happen eventually. The sun is dying (though we'll be dead before that happens... from an ice age or something I guess).

I can see us killing ourselves though. You know...massive nuclear war or something. Or a worldwide epidemic.

But I suppose looking at it from a religious perspective the end of the world could happen anytime, and it still wouldn't be predictable. God's just supposed to come for the last judgement right? Haha...some Christian I am.

Well, I took this totally out of context, but I really do know nothing about Mayan culture.
By irenie_poomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4196, member since Mon Oct 09, 2006
On Fri Apr 11, 2008 07:55 PM
This hole thread basically scraed me s**tless! But I guess you'll never know till it happens. Although hearing all of your skepticism really makes me feel better :) Thanks guys!
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4193, member since Thu May 01, 2003
On Sat May 17, 2008 04:20 PM
A lot of brouhaha over a misinterpretation of the Mayan Calendar. The Mayan's had different calendars, and one of them was the Long Count, used for periods longer than 52 years:

en.wikipedia.org . . .

Long Count lasts for 1,872,000 days, then it is reset to 0. This is what will happen in 2012. It is as spectacular an event as every New Year in our calendar. Expect as much chaos and confusion (followed by a hangover).

End of the World? Wake me up when its over...
By superdancer1992member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 624, member since Fri Oct 28, 2005
On Mon May 19, 2008 01:01 PM
I think all this hulabaloo about the world ending is ridiculous!! It says right in the Bible that only God knows when Jesus will come again and when the world will end. Sure anyone can "predict" the world's end, but NOBODY knows. So just enjoy life :)
re: December 23, 2012 (karma: 1)
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Tue May 27, 2008 03:51 PM
I think this is a bit of a Doomsday Cult thing - they're always predicting the end of the world.

However, I will go and inform my friend that the world is ending on her 22nd birthday :)
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4517, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Tue May 27, 2008 05:50 PM
Edited by Puss_in_Boots (29298) on 2008-05-27 17:51:23 Because I can't spell this morning.
Not a cult, but some people's interpretation of old calendars. If people want to focus on the world ending, why not let them? It's hardly going to interfere with your life... unless of course it does, in which case you should probably hit them over the head with a dead chicken or something. You know, knock some sense into 'em.

It fascinates me that for a species that loves to have so much control, humans can fixate so much on things that aren't up to them. Although I'm wondering if they're trying to beat the end of the world with their nuclear warfare... you know, play God up one... :P
By lottiekinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 701, member since Sun Jun 03, 2007
On Tue Jun 17, 2008 01:55 PM
At least I will have seen the Olympics in the UK :D
By indigo_dancer Comments: 1044, member since Thu Jun 22, 2006
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 PM
my ex boyfriend once told me about that, I believe he referred it to an asian belief. Also, Nostradamus also predicted something along those lines.
By RoyaletteCerramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 189, member since Fri Aug 17, 2007
On Wed Jul 02, 2008 04:53 PM
I read this a few months ago but I just learned something recently that I wanted to add.

I converted to Wicca a few months ago and one of my best friends mothers (who is a Pagan) was telling me that in 2012 we are going to sort of "upgrade" to a fifth demensional beings. The way she described it is that many people may view it as the end of the world, but really it will be the beginning of a new.

Ponder away. Blessed Be!
By FairyinBlood Comments: 56, member since Tue Apr 22, 2008
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:06 PM
Just wait and see what happens. It probably wont be in the way that they planned
By rosinlover Comments: 473, member since Fri Sep 08, 2006
On Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:43 PM
Yeah I remember my 8th grade social studies teacher telling us this, and the whole class was freaking out. I personally don't believe it, but to each his own.

britt
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Thu Jul 24, 2008 03:22 AM
When I was 11, the world was meant to end in May sometime. The night before it was meant to end, my mum had to stay up with me the whole night because I was absolutely terrified.

The good news is, the world didn't end, and now I'm convinced we don't know what is going to happen :)
By Saramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2800, member since Sat Feb 10, 2007
On Wed Aug 06, 2008 07:12 PM
My older sister is very big into this theory. She tried explaining it to me, but I didnt get most of it. The main gist I got was that the Mayans didnt predict the "end" of the world, they were predicting a "rebirth" which could be any number of things, but I doubt the world just *poof* not being there isnt one of them. To me, it seems like the Y2k thing, which in retrospect wasnt a huge deal. It scared people, but nothing came of it.
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Aug 17, 2008 02:54 PM
Chapter17 wrote:

I read a book that was from like 1962 that said pretty much in 2000 we'd have floating cars and personal robots in every home. Like the cartoons do.

I think there's a really famous movie like that. It might be called "2000" or "2001" or something, and it's all crazy futuristic weirdness. It was made in the 60s or 70s or something. So yeeeah...

Ooh and I'm with you, Lottie - at least we'll have seen the Olympics! Haha :)
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1372, member since Sun Jan 06, 2008
On Sat Aug 23, 2008 01:18 PM
Edited by mrslovett (190178) on 2008-08-23 13:21:25
OK, I keep reading that the Mayans were correct on a lot of other stuff on their calendars, but like what? Also, HOW is the world just going to END? Personally, I think we'll all just be killed by nuclear wars.
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch