Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: December 23, 2012
By muckwi002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 708, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Mon Sep 01, 2008 08:06 AM
Well..... From what I've read, the earth's axis is going to change. This isn't going to be the end of the world, but like WildSpirit said, we're just going to go into the fourth dimension. That's more spiritual. All artificial products will disappear, by that I mean not natural resources, so on December 21st, I recommend wearing cotton lol
I've read many books on this topic as well. Some say that Atlantis will rise again and Europe will sink. Some say that countries will become colder, and some will become hotter. Nobody knows for sure, and if you listen to what everybody thinks and says, you could end up in a psychiatric ward. Seriously. But the Mayans have a very accurate calender, so you should keep that date in mind, but don't be afraid of it. Dying is not something you should be scared of, you always go to a better place. We are God's children and he doesn't want anything bad to happen to us.

People were prepared for year 2000. Guess what? Nothing. The world only became a better place. I also heard in 2006 that a man came and claimed that he was from 2025 (still life on earth!!) And nobody believed him, obviously. Then in just 1 or 2 days, he became a multi millionaire by playing stocks and winning the lottery, so they put him in prison assuming he cheated. They came back the next day to check on him. Guess what? He was gone. He dematerialized or something. That man didn't have any record of himself or anything.
This topic sounded suspicious to me, but still, there's hope of life in 2025. People just may be more advanced.

BRING IT ON!
:)
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Wed Sep 03, 2008 02:13 AM
I know I've already commented twice on this, but I'll just add another thought of scepticism.

I'm sorry, sure, the Mayans are right about the other stuff or whatever, but can they really predict the future? Can ANYONE predict the future?? No! It's too unpredictable! Why do the Mayans make all kinds of crazy guesses, and we're left quaking?

Makes no sense to me...
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2541, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Wed Sep 17, 2008 06:03 PM
My friends and I were actually talking about this today at lunch, so this title just screamed "Read me, read me," when I saw it.

I dont honestly like the world is going to end on that day, but then again we never really know because that date is yet to come. I guess we just have to wait for it to come and see what happens then.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, it's nothing really to freak over.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15031, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Wed Sep 17, 2008 06:43 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2008-09-17 18:45:08
I actually really believe in this. *shrug* I'm allowed to have one unreasonable thing to mindlessly believe in, right? I'm picking this one.

The Mayans had EXTREMELY accurate and complex calendars. Their society was really advanced in architecture, astronomy, and timekeeping. They would not have ended their calendar on December 21, 2012 without good reason. They just wouldn't. The Mayans don't necessarily predict a Doomsday - they just stop the calendar there.

That day is when the count would roll over into another b'ak'tun, which is 144,000 days or roughly 394 years. We are in the thirteen b'ak'tun and would be rolling over into the fourteenth. But they don't write that down - they just stop counting. The thirteenth b'ak'tun is predicted to end on a bad note. They have a book written by the Mayans which sadly had most of the pages lost, but it ends with this prediction, and they depict death by great flood, and other various calamities.

Also, that is the day when the earth lines up with the galactic equator. On whichever documentary I saw on the Discovery/History/National Geographic channel (don't remember which, but one of 'em), they had astronomers on there saying "This will happen on December 21, 2012, or really close to then." Of course, now the internet is telling me it happened between 1998-2001, and other site are saying no, it's in 2012. Whatever. The earth can indeed line itself up with the galactic equator, and if that is going to happen in 2012, it shouldn't be overlooked.

It isn't just crock, there's a lot of valid points. I'm not convinced the world will end - however, I'd rather have my wedding before then, is all I'm sayin'. I regard the date with much suspicion. If the Mayans were very accurate with everything else, the fact that they drop their calendar at the end of the year 2012 had to have meant something to them.
By dee_reemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4366, member since Mon Nov 15, 2004
On Wed Oct 15, 2008 02:33 AM
it,ll save me some money then!
it,ll be my sons 17th birthday that day and he wants driving lessons. pmsl

think i,ll go ahead and book them anyways.

cara xxxx
By ABCdancer12member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 634, member since Fri Jul 16, 2004
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 09:17 PM
I thought they said 21st?
but please remember:
the mayans say they could predict the end of civilization... but they couldn't predict the fall of their own.
it's like the farmer's almanac. it's a prediction, with not a whole bunch of solid facts to back it up.
By bailarina58 Comments: 13, member since Fri Nov 21, 2008
On Fri Dec 26, 2008 02:30 PM
This is the last date on the calander of the aztec/mayan (whichever)empire. I have 2 theorys- 1 they got bored, I don't know about you but writing down a calander for the next few thousand years doesn't exactly seem like that much fun to me. Theory 2- they ran out of room- you can't really fit a lot on 1 stone.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Fri Dec 26, 2008 06:19 PM
I am not sure if this was posted as I did not read everything but I thought I would add a side note.

The thing with 2000 was not the world was going to blow up. It was that the computers were going to crash. All files stored on computers are in there chronologically according to date.

If, for example you had something in there from 1998, it would be in there as '98. Once you hit 2000, they would come up as '00 making that come before the one in 1998.

Basically people feared that the computers would be unable to adjust to this and therefore all information stored on them and the computers themselves would crash and everything would be lost.

I am really not to worried about the world coming to an end. People say history repeates itself, maybe that is when it will start repeating? Who knows. I am just going to go with the flow. I mean with the whole "OMG the world will end in 2000!" was blown out of context, this could be as well.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Fri Dec 26, 2008 06:39 PM
Didn't Nostradamus also foretell the end of the world in 2012?

It's an interesting theory.....but I'm not sure if it will happen or not.
By Foofinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8947, member since Sat Mar 09, 2002
On Sat Dec 27, 2008 07:48 AM
"People were prepared for year 2000. Guess what? Nothing. The world only became a better place"

thats laughable
By sophsterrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1297, member since Thu Jun 23, 2005
On Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:58 PM
I was just watching something on the History Channel called Nostradamus, 2012. I didn't finish watching because my dad kicked me out of his room but it was interesting none the less.

Basically, they talked about something called the "dark rift", which is when the sun is perfectly aligned with the Milky Way. The earth wobbles and rotates along an axis so this only occurs about once every 26,000 years. Last time this alignment happened, the ice age happened. They also talked about Nostradamus' predictions and the Egyptian Pyramids, at which point I kind of zoned out.

The show will replay on the History Channel this Sunday (Jan 11) at 5pm if anyone is interested.
By alicelovestodacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 03:47 PM
well whoevers ment to host the 2016 olympics arent going to be very happy London get to host it last, lol

anyway- I dont believe in all these theories, the earth would have showed signs by now . + although i'd much rather live past 2012 ( :O i'l be 18 20 days before its supposed to end) + have a full life, if the world ends we'll all go, so no-one will know will they? therefore it cant really get you upset, if you get what i mean

roll on dec 24th 2012 i say :D :L
x
By muckwi002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 708, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Sun Feb 22, 2009 03:56 PM
Ok. I'm posting again.
My opinion has changed!

You know how long ago the Mayans existed? They've written thousands of years worth of dates. Dontcha think they would have got tired after that? It's all hand written.

Seriously. Imagine yourself writing thousands of years worth of dates!
By irenie_poomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4196, member since Mon Oct 09, 2006
On Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:09 AM
I dont understand...
If the Mayans said that the world was going to end in 2000 then why would they mention 2012??
By FeelLikeDancinPremium member Comments: 2755, member since Sun Aug 22, 2004
On Sun Mar 08, 2009 04:05 AM
Dangit, right before Christmas! Oh well, guess I won't have to do any shopping that year. See? There is an upside to everything!
By FeisDadAndre Comments: 445, member since Wed Feb 25, 2009
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 PM
There are only 2 factually true ideas about the end of the world.

1. Our sun will follow the same life-cycle as other, similar sons have been observed doing through our galaxy. They will burn through the supply of hydrogen at the core of the sun, after which it will most likely collapse in on itself and become a dwarf star. Or there is a small possibility it could go supernova, an explosion which will rip apart the earth. Howver, at the current rate of hydrogen consumption, this will not occur for another, oh about... 6 billion years.

2. People will claim to know when the end of the world will come, and like every other apocalyptic prediction that has ever been made throughout human history, they will be wrong.

Worrying about the supposed end ofthr world in our lifetime would be akin to stating in your house because you are afraid a lightning bolt will hit you half-way down the sidewalk.

One more thing: when the Mayans predicted the end of the earth in 2012, did they also mention whether or not they would be around to see it? Cause if they did, well, they kind of blew that one, didn't they? :P
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Thu Mar 26, 2009 09:42 AM
Or there is a small possibility it could go supernova, an explosion which will rip apart the eargh.

Do you suppose that could mean another one of the sun's big bangs happening, which scientists theorize brought about the creation of the planets of our Milky Way galaxy?
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15031, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:25 PM
Do you suppose that could mean another one of the sun's big bangs happening, which scientists theorize brought about the creation of the planets of our Milky Way galaxy?

Stars don't Big Bang. That's the theory for the creation of the universe. The universe is not just our galaxy, it's EVERY galaxy. Stars are parts of galaxies, so supernovas don't have any affect on the creation of galaxies. I'm assuming you meant our solar system.

Our sun's creation may have been caused by the shockwaves from another supernova, of a neighboring star. This stirs up all the gases floating around and starts them spinning and they eventually congeal into a star and planets. None of our neighboring stars are close enough to us for that to be a worry - and none of them are in that stage of their life cycle or will be anytime soon ("soon" being relative to astronomy and meaning billions of years).

Our sun isn't big enough to explode as a supernova. There's not even a slim chance of that happening, really, it CAN'T happen. The sun is a pretty small-ish average star, and only very large stars explode in supernovas. Our sun will grow to be a Red Giant, and the dwindle down to a White Dwarf until it eventually fades away. No exploding, pretty quiet and calm. The Earth will probably get roasted during the Sun's expansion to a Red Giant star, but as FeisDadAndre said, that's not for another 5 billion years or so.
By sat Comments: 211, member since Thu Feb 26, 2009
On Wed May 06, 2009 05:42 PM
Edited by sat (208293) on 2009-05-06 17:44:55
I love philosophy,it is one of my hobbies and passion.Finding the reasoning,meaning,sense,logic and rationale behind everything and brainstorming it from all angles.Questioning and exploring the 'norm' and the unknown that the creator of this universe deliberately never wanted us to know in the first place.The point being 'there has to be a reason for everything'.
By pinkbeaniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 202, member since Fri Feb 23, 2007
On Mon May 18, 2009 08:40 PM
Man i hate things like that. no-one can predict when the world is going to end...unless a massive meteor or something is headed for earth, then i may believe it. When i was in high school a girl in our year was in a very religious sect that believed the world was gonna end in 2000....they built an underground house and filled with tins of food and everything, im not even joking! how silly mut they feel now.....maybe they're still down there? :S

BB x
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Tue May 19, 2009 07:39 PM
^^ lol, maybe they are still there haha
By Dancing4everr Comments: 100, member since Tue Jun 16, 2009
On Fri Jul 10, 2009 06:52 PM
Okay, so I do not think that it is "real" because the modern calendar starts on the day that Jesus was born (year 0). A monk came up with the day that Jesus was supposedly born after much calculation. But, according to modern science, he was off by 4-6 years, which really isn't that bad, considering how long ago he calculated that. So, the year 2012 actually happened 4-6 years ago. And, nothing happened. The Mayans were really smart, though, just... I guess not about this. *exhale* :)
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Sun Jul 26, 2009 05:51 PM
Hmmm this reminds me of the passage "Beware of false prophets..."

Oh yeah! That's right, only God knows when that day will come and besides my profound qestion to the world is: if you can't take any materalistic things with you, and you can't control the end of days, why WORRY?

"Do not fear, do not be anxious." Do not try to play God.

DbG
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:22 PM
The Mayans were wrong about other things. I'm not going to automatically trust them about when the world is going to end. Besides, like everyone has already said, the world has been supposed to end lots of times and is still here. My father likes to tell a story about a man who wrote a book called "83 reasons the world will end in 1983". The book got a lot of people really scared that the world really would end, but it didn't. Then the guy tried to make a sequal called "84 reasons the world will end in 1984."
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3922, member since Sat Sep 28, 2002
On Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:51 PM
I am not going to worry about the world ending then. I will be a little disappointed if it does since I will be in the middle of grad school.

I am actually planning on partying that day and getting really drunk with friends. If the world doesn't end then yay for that and it has just been a fun day. If the world does end well then at least I will be too drunk to really care and have said a nice goodbye with a party. Either way it will be a win win situation.

Chances are the world won't end. I thought that the Mayan Calendar stopping then just meant it was an end of an era. I would be more willing to believe that there will be some major change in the world than it ending all together.
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch