Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Irish - Champs
How to survive your first Oireachtas as a parent (karma: 29)
By foreverclovers Comments: 341, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 07:45 AM
Edited by foreverclovers (152855) on 2007-10-11 07:47:48 structural problems
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2007-10-11 22:52:55

Your first time at the Oireachtas – and you’re the parent??? Here are some tips, from a dancer who has been through it all, as to how you can best support your own dancer on the big day!

Well….it was going to be ‘some tips’ but kind of turned into a ‘large essay.’ You’ll be super prepared if you manage to get to the bottom of this!

In the weeks prior to the big day:

• Don’t use ‘I won’t take you to dance class/ to the Oireachtas if you don’t…’ Find something else to use instead, it will only stress your dancer out.
• Don’t bribe. NEVER say ‘If you place such and such I’ll buy you an Ipod.’ That would place far too much pressure on your dancer, even if it’s a small thing and done jokingly.
• Be encouraging, but don’t place high expectations in their head. Affirm that they’re there for the wonderful experience and anything else is a bonus. Don’t play jokes like ‘And she’s going to win it, isn’t she Uncle Fred?’
• No junk food for at least a week before the big day! They’ll thank you for it later (believe it or not!)
• If it’s been more than a month since the last feis, conduct an on-dancer dress check, especially if they’re of growing age. Same goes for boys and the length of their dress pants.
• Make sure to ask your dancer’s teacher for all the information you need by the second last lesson. Competition time? Competitor’s pass? Team hairstyle/make-up? Competitor number?

In the days prior to the big day:

• Dig out their dance shoes and give them a going over, checking for loose threads that may split or tips that are wobbling. Give the strap on their hardshoes a yank to see if it’s secure and check that their laces aren’t wearing. Take them to a cobbler if need be.
• How long has it been since you’ve put that blasted wig on? Your dancer might not like you for it, but if you need to practice, do it. Better to stress now rather than the morning of the competition, because believe me, wig problems stress a dancer out like no other.
• Do a make-up trial too. Remember that your dancer will need heavier make-up than for a usual feis. This will be a much bigger stage compared to what they’re used to, and their features need to be seen from the distance. A darker lipstick and heavier eyeliner will be necessary, but make sure to keep it age appropriate. In the end, go with what your dancer likes. If they feel confident, they’ll look good.

• Keep an eye on making sure your dancer is getting plenty of sleep in the days prior to the big day!
• Make sure their school jacket, shirt and dance shorts are all clean and washed
• This might seem like a ‘DUH!’ but I’ve seen it happen. Check the route to the venue. Double check the name and location and address of the venue on the piece of paper against the one in the street directory. You want the Maple Leaf Hotel in Palm Beach, not the one half an hour down the road in Crazy Cove. Yup, I’ve seen it happen. Teams too, not pretty, not pretty at all.
• If you’re traveling to the competition and staying in a hotel, ‘the day before the big day,’ (below) applies the day before you leave for the hotel. Whilst holidaying is exciting, gently remind your dancer that there will be plenty of time for long days of extravagant sight-seeing after they’ve danced. It’s important for them to get plenty of rest and quiet even if you’re not at home.

The day before the big day:

• Let your dancer wake up nice and late, and keep a relaxed, fun mood going for the rest of the day.
• Polish up both sets of shoes.
• Get together everything needed for the costume (check for cape, dress shields and bloomers) and put it in the dress bag. A quick run over the dress to check for loose threads or a bad zipper never hurt.
• Pack! The thing to remember is to pack for emergencies. Little problems at a feis can turn into BIG problems at the Oireachtas. Remember things like:
• Band-Aids/Athletic Tape
• Duct Tape
• Scissors
• Needle & Black and White Thread
• Spare Poodle Socks & Bloomers
• Spare Bobby/Hair pins and hairties
• If your dancer is old enough to worry, female hygiene products
• Set out with your dancer in a clean space everything they’ll need to wear tomorrow. Include all of the head gear, make up, blochs and their studio jacket. Ensure whatever top they choose will come off over a wig (button down or wide neck is best.) Anything not being put on before you leave the house should be in the dance bag and by the front door by the end of the day.

• Sit down with your dancer and chat about tomorrow. Don’t be invasive, start with asking things you need to know such as:
1. What time would you like me to wake you up tomorrow? (Set a time together and stick to it). Will you have a shower and breakfast, and then we’ll start your make-up at, say, 10 o’clock?
2. What time would you like to leave for the venue tomorrow? (Set a time together and stick to it)
3. What time do you think you’ll want to get into your dress? (Setting out times like these will help them to keep calm tomorrow)
4. Most importantly ‘How would you like me to help tomorrow? Is there anything you do/don’t want me to do?’
• I know what you’re thinking with the last question. Only a teenager could write that. But seriously, it is important. Some dancers work best under pressure when their mothers are constantly around them, fiddling with hair and asking if they need this or that. Other dancers need their quiet time whilst back stage. You and your dancer should have a discussion over what they need from you to feel their best, and if you promise you won’t ask twice if they want a drink or give them a massive pep talk, stick to it. Nervous and frustrated children aren’t a good combination. But believe me, a quick hug never hurts no matter what they say.
• Finally, (if you feel it’s a good idea) ask your dancer what their hopes are for tomorrow. Keep it open, that is don’t say ‘Do you want to get a recall?’ But rather, ‘How do you hope to do tomorrow?’ Whatever they answer, reaffirm gently to them that to you, they are a beautiful dancer and no matter what happens tomorrow they’ll always be number one to you. Encourage them to have fun and enjoy the day, after all they’ve worked so hard for it!

• Get your dancer to wash their hair the day before the competition. Two days before if they have particularly frizzy hair. It makes it much easier to stick a wig in right without a gallon of hairspray if the hair is dry, not wet and so sparkly clean its sticking up everywhere.
• A few hours before dinner set a bed time, and stick to it. Give your dancer dinner an hour earlier than usual (this will trick their body into thinking it’s later than it is, and help them sleep.) A meal of pasta is one of the best options as it will give them carbohydrates for the big day ahead. After dinner, encourage them away from the TV, computer or loud music as it will keep them awake. A favourite magazine is perfect.
• When bed time comes around be firm but nice. Before they go to sleep make sure to wish them good luck, and also reaffirm the time they want you to wake up in the morning.
• If you know your dancer is a nervous type or a fitful sleeper, it could be worth finding a way to help them sleep. I like to do a guided meditation on my Ipod on nights before major competitions, kids versions of which can be easily found. A natural homeopathic sleep remedy may be helpful too, but make sure to try it out the week beforehand just in case it upsets your dancer’s stomach etc.

Let's have a bit of a breather, shall we?

Wait for it….on the big day!:

• If nothing else, remember this: Your primary role is to give your dancer all of the support you can. I know you’re nervous as hell for them. Don’t show it. Positivity rules.
• Stick to the schedule you agreed upon for the morning’s preparation. Be bright and friendly. This is a fun day! Whilst doing your dancer’s hair and make-up, chat about their dance friends or the Ceili/disco at the end of the competition (if applicable.) Don’t try anything new in terms of hair/make-up. Tried and tested wins the race.
• Breakfast should be healthy cereal if at all possible. If not, fruit or carbohydrates are best.
• Pack a lunch or snack in a cool box. Include one room temperature water bottle, an iced water bottle, and your dancer’s favourite fruit in bite sized pieces. Let them know its there whenever they want it. No lollies or hot pastry foods. Never let them eat or drink anything they haven’t eaten before. Gatorade might give them energy, but I’ve also seen it make them do a two-hand with the toilet bowl whilst their competitors are doing their reel.
• If your dancer tends to suffer from nerves, I would highly recommend ‘Rescue Remedy.’ It’s a homeopathic herbal formula designed to calm down a person when they are in a nerve-wracking situation. It’s available at any chemist/drug store and is given as drops on the tongue. It’s truly invaluable stuff, but as with all things check its effects on your dancer before the big day. I like to take a few drops before I leave for the competition and again before I go backstage.

• Don’t be crazy photographic mum. Yes it’s a big day, but take a photo before they leave the house (three clicks maximum!) and then put the camera away in your bag until they are done dancing. A photographer will be there to capture them on stage, so give them a break whilst they’re nervously trying to practice. No buts. No pleading. I mean it.
• Don’t be late leaving the house. If you said such and such a time, be ready to leave ten minutes before. The threat of being late (even if you think it’s ridiculous because there’s two hours to go and for goodness sake this is an Irish Dancing Competition we’re talking about here…) stresses a dancer out more than almost anything else.
• On the car drive there, your dancer will be getting very nervous. Try to help them relax, which usually means NOT talking (especially ‘did you bring ~insert 10th item here~?). If they have an Ipod or walkman, encourage them to listen to some music. If they just want to lie in their seat and think, let them do so without interruption.
• Quietly let them know ten minutes before you arrive at the venue. No one likes nasty surprises that they’re already there!

At the Oireachtas:

Your dancer will dance two rounds, the first in hardshoes and the second in softshoes. The points given to each dancer from both rounds will be tallied and the dancers will be ranked from highest points to lowest. From this ranking a certain number of dancers will be determined (usually the top 50%, sometimes only 30%) and their numbers will be called out. These dancers have recalled, meaning they get to dance their set dance, a great privilege especially at a first Oireachtas. Usually all dancers recalled will receive a trophy on stage at the conclusion of the competition.
• Arrive with plenty of time to relax. Buy the program and locate your stage. Check the dancers competing on there now with the times in your program. Figure out if they’re running early or late, always erring on the side of caution. Let your dancer know.
• Find a place to put all your belongings together. Somewhere in a quiet corner with a chair nearby is perfect.
• Go off and find your dancer’s teacher. Say hello and let them know you’re here, and ask if there’s anything you need to do that you haven’t already done.
• If your dancer is dancing in teams, find the other team members. Keep your belongings near theirs to make meeting up easier.
• If you have some time before your dancer’s competition is up, let them go into the hall and watch the dancing with you. Quietly point out to them to watch how the dancers enter and exit the stage and where they stand before they dance.
• Personally I warm up an hour before my competition starts. This gives me plenty of time and makes me relaxed. But let your dancer do as they want to do, or as their teacher said. Me, I warm up to the music I do in class (on my Ipod) and then do some thorough stretching for ten minutes. If your dancer isn’t sure what to do, encourage them to do exactly what they do in class. The practice floor is likely to be crowded and intimidating, so encourage your dancer to get up there anyway. They have as much right to run through their steps as anyone else.
• Most teachers will seek out each dancer and run them through each dance before that round begins. If not, your dancer needs to go through it anyway. At least once all the way through.

• Twenty minutes before your competition is due to start should be your cue to get your dancer into their costume. Make sure they have been to the bathroom first. Shoes and glued socks should already be on from practicing.
• If a young dancer, remind them to keep warm whilst backstage, doing the exercises they are taught in class to warm-up with. Ten minutes before the dancers are called they should run through each step separately, taking care not to use up all of their energy.
• If the worst should happen: Your dancer promptly bursts into nervous tears when their competition is called backstage. Take them into a quiet corner, in the bathroom is best because it’s away from too many prying eyes. Hug them tight, tell them that you believe in them, and remind them of some time in their lives they didn’t give up and pulled through to do beautifully in whatever it was. The most important thing is to calm them down.
• Unless your dancer expressly asked you not to the day before (likely to be an older dancer in that case,) give them a thorough checking over before they go backstage. Shoelaces tucked, dress zipped up, number on, headband secured, cape fastened, socks glued.
• Remember you are not the teacher. Don’t critique your dancer between rounds. Don’t remind them ‘not to do that funny thing with your left hand.’ Their teacher will take care of that. Just tell them to smile and dance like they love it.
• Give your dancer a big hug and whisper ‘Good luck!’ Then leave them to the marshalling ladies. Go into the auditorium to watch, promising your dancer you’ll be out to see them as soon as they’re off stage.
• Take a seat in a non-prominent place. Towards the back, not in the aisle. Don’t wave or make any movement as your dancer comes out. One of the most off putting things for a nervous dancer is to spot their parents as they point their toe.
• Watch your dancer, clap at the end, and come straight back out to meet them where you left the bags.
• Whether they cried, vomited, fell, slipped, crashed, did a somersault, ran off or danced the best they ever did, tell them the latter. Don’t be condescending about it (if they only completed 3 of 5 steps then tell them what they did do was beautiful and it’s the next round that’s important now), but above all you need to keep their confidence up for the next round.

• You’ll probably find your dancer is on a bit of a high as they change into their softshoes. The biggest hurdle, the first dance, is over! Allow them a short break to rest and recuperate before getting back into gear. Water, some fruit and some fresh air works wonders. If the competition is large and it’s a long wait, help them out of their costume for a while, but keep an eye on the time. Remember that the softshoe round will begin 33% further down the list of competitors than the first round. The starting numbers should be in the program.
• Ensure your dancer is properly warmed up again and has been through their next dance. Go through it all again, and come back out to meet them at the end of the second round with a big congratulatory hug. Your dancer will likely return with a participation gift such as a certificate, pin or medal of some kind. Keep it in a safe place!
• There will be a wait before the recalls are announced, usually at least 20 minutes after the section is completed. Get your dancer out of their costume, but keep wig and shoes on. Go into the auditorium and watch the dancing. Don’t forget the program to tell you what your dancer’s number is!
• Without showing your dancer that you’re assuming they won’t get a recall, try to act like their dancing is likely over for the day. Don’t tell them to keep their legs warm for the next round etc. Statistically, unless they’re very young, their likelihood of getting a recall at their first Oireachtas is small. Try to make the disappointment as easy to bear as possible, so that if by chance a recall does come their way they’ll be even more thrilled.
• When the recalls are being called, give your dancer the program so that they can watch their number as the announcer moves down the list. Give them a big hug as their number is passed, whether or not it is called.

• If they don’t get a recall, affirm to them that they danced beautifully and how much better they will be next year if they keep practicing like they have been! Don’t mention their friends who have gotten a recall ‘Mary did very well for her first O, didn’t she?’ Remove the wig and the shoes, get something tantalisingly unhealthy for afternoon tea and take a look at the merchandise. Sometimes a t-shirt can be just as good as a trophy to a young child.
• I would personally encourage the dancer to stay and watch the Set Dances and presentation, recall or not. There’s no need to pretend that it’s not happening. Not only does cheering on your friends despite your disappointment (after the ice-cream of course) teach plenty of life lessons, but watching the winner get that big trophy can be a great motivational tool for next year!
• If your dancer does get a recall, jump up and down and hug them like mad. They’ve earnt it. Make sure not to scream with joy when you hear number 32 however, because number 33 is desperately trying to hear the next one to be called.
• After their set dance, it may be a wait for presentations. Keep the wig and the shoes on, but take the dress off and grab an ice-cream or something. Tell them that they danced beautifully (no, you actually CAN’T say this too many times, just try to re-phrase it so it’s not too obvious). Also mention that you will be just as proud of them no matter what placing they come.
• Get everything back on for the big presentation with plenty of time to go. Clap your dancer as they receive their trophy and hug them (hopefully they will be happy no matter what place they came, a recall is a big achievement!) Write down the placings in the program too, it will be nice to look back on in years to come.
• There’s usually a professional photographer at events like these, and a nice photo to commemorate the big day wouldn’t go astray after all the dancing is done. You can also buy the results of their competition for a small fee, which are confusing to read but nice to have.
• No matter what happens, as you leave the venue don’t forget a big cheesy-mum high five. The both of you did it!

Best of luck,
foreverclovers

57 Replies to How to survive your first Oireachtas as a parent

re: How to survive your first Oireachtas as a parent
By celticfaerymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 636, member since Fri Jun 02, 2006
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 08:46 AM
this is SUCH a fantastic post! i hope it makes everyone's O experience that much better. thanks!
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2956, member since Mon Jul 17, 2006
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 09:11 AM
Edited by FeisForFood (163151) on 2007-10-11 09:23:39 added something (see EDIT)
I love you. You're completely amazing.

As the dancer, everything you said was totally perfect and that's exactly how I'd like my mum to be with me in a few short weeks. She's never been and she hates crowds, so I think it really will help if she knows what's appropriate for her to be doing. In the weeks to come, I'll be sharing this with her! Karma!

EDIT: Oh, and I just ordered a bottle of Rescue Remedy, at your recommendation. Found it on Amazon.com, for anyone looking. Since I got nervous just reading your post, I expect that I'll need this on the big day. :P
By reel_ghillie Comments: 91, member since Tue Oct 09, 2007
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:23 PM
This post is fabulous! I"m a dancer, and I'm definitely showing this to my parents before the O! Thanks so much for putting this up here, foreverclovers!
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:39 PM
this is a fantastic post. however, i feel that some of the things you said the parents should do are things that the dancer should do, depending on age of course. getting their clothes washed and ready to go, checking over and polishing their shoes, bed time, stuff like that should be the dancers responsibility once they reach a certain age. i do all of that stuff my self now... not only because i'm old enough, but because, well, i don't trust my mom to know what she's doing lol.
By audge913 Comments: 117, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 01:34 PM
Wow!! this is a great post!! I will have to make my mom read this one! =]
By worldchampion Comments: 605, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 03:15 PM
I'm totally in love with you! i'm going to send it to my mom in just a few moments - she's always the one saying "did you bring this or did your bring that?" it makes me panicky! i swear i was more nervous reading that (in a good way) than i was at any feis this year so far... maybe i should get some rescue remedy... hmm... anyway. Karma!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4234, member since Sat Feb 03, 2007
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 06:57 PM
Awesome post! If every parent gave support like that, there would be a lot of calm and relaxed and confident dancers out there. Karma to you.
re: How to survive your first Oireachtas as a parent (karma: 2)
By AinetheDragonPremium member Comments: 2340, member since Tue Jun 25, 2002
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 07:37 PM
Great advice. First time, and even experienced Oireachtas moms should study that carefully.

I will add a few things: when your dancer is done with thier second round, it may be a good idea to "tidy up" a little, ensuring that all thier stuff is tucked into the appropriate places in the dance bag, the dress is put safely away etc. This is convenient if you have a disappointing recall announcement and would like to escape the crowds quickly. Its also useful if they do get recalled, as they are not scrambling to find thier shoes etc.

If you have one of those competitions that goes all day, right after the second round is the time to try to manage lunch or a snack. Dont wait for the recall announcement. If you dont get recalled, you can always go for desert later. If you do, you'll have a long time before you get another chance to eat, and will want to have eaten as long before they dance the set as possible. Also leaving the ballroom and thinking about something else for a bit can help take thier mind of wondering.

Make sure your teacher, and other parents in your school, and other dancers have your cell phone #. If you are out of a ballroom and they call your DD for a recall, or they are starting her competition, or they've moved it, you want people to be able to get ahold of you. One year they messed up the recalls, and 3 dancers from my school who had not been called were called later. One of them was already in the shower when we caught up with her.

Heres what I like to do to prepare for the trip and make sure I have everything:

Do a complete dress rehearsal, wig, hair, dress, make-up, shoes etc. Everything you need to be able to walk on the stage. As you take things off, or finish with them, pack them neatly. This way, you know you have everything. Also time yourself. If you know how long it takes from shower to dressed, you know how early to get up, how early to start getting ready etc.

Pack extra shoes! Those old beat up practice shoes? you dont need them right? WRONG. Pack them, stick them in your suitcase (not DD's) as a back up plan in case DD's dance bag goes missing. It happened to me once, and yes, that was the only time in 15 years I have ever gone to a competition with only one pair of hardshoes. Now I pack my good shoes in my dance/carry-on bag, and my old ones in a suitcase for insurance.

Wear good running/walking shoes. My mom likes to carry a fanny pack too (I know, how un-fashionable, but that fanny pack has saved me so many times when I needed a safety pin NOW) instead of her purse because it keeps her hands free.

When it comes to where to sit, whether or not to get dd's attention while they are on stage, ask them. I like to look around and see people grinning and waving at me. Alot of other dancers hate it. I know some who want mom front and center, others in the back, others want mom invisible or want her to hold a favorite stuffed animal. Ask them, they'll tell you, and dont get mad if they change thier mind at the last second (or between rounds), they might feel differently when the time comes.
By foreverclovers Comments: 341, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 08:08 PM
Thanks for such a fantastic response everyone!

danceroo, I definitely agree that once dancers are at a certain age (say 12), some of these things should be there responsibility (and they'll also probably want to do it!)
However since the median age for a first Oireachtas is probably 8 or 9, I thought it was prudent to include them.

Thanks ainethedragon for your added pointers, I wrote so much and still managed to miss some important things! I particularly second having all the mobile phone numbers (make sure its on silent in the hall), and wearing a sturdy pair of running shoes.
re: How to survive your first Oireachtas as a parent (karma: 1)
By irishmamamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3032, member since Mon Oct 06, 2003
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 09:11 PM
This post is great. I wish I had read it five years ago at our first O.

I can think of just a couple of other tips.

Allow you dancer to go easy on eating if they are really nervous. I know we all want them to have something nutritious for energy, but if they cant eat, they really know best. B never eats much until he is done dancing or he will feel really sick.

At recalls, if your dancer does not make the recall, let her set the tone for what to do next. Some kids just want to sit there a minute, some want to be with their friends, and some may fall apart. Dont be judgemental, remember, most of the tears are just the culmination of a very nervous day. Get them out of the ballroom, into a place with some privacy, and let them have a moment. Hugs and praise for a job well done help a lot. Never deny them the right to feel a bit disappointed, just give them a little time. 90% of the time, they will soon be just fine, and able to get back to congratulate their friends and watch the recall sets. If they really cant do it, I wouldn't try to make them, especially if they are young. The day is a fun one, but it can be pretty stressful for some dancers.
Make sure you have someone to talk to. It is important to be all calm and cool for your dancer, but it sure is good to have another moms hand to squeeze while watching your child dance. (I think I almost broke our TCs hand the first year!)
By SunnyPremium member Comments: 1819, member since Thu May 12, 2005
On Fri Oct 12, 2007 01:58 AM
Great post!

This would be so helpful to my mom, but unfortunately neither of my parents are going to the Oireachtas this year. I'll just have to adopt-a-parent I suppose!
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1722, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:51 AM
wow fantastic post! some amazing points there!!

another one i just thought of- if you are staying at a hotel or wherever for longer than the night before the big day, then i recomend (well this is what i do for sure!) going and watching at least one section in the few days before, and while your there, make sure you find
-the bathroom!!
-the backstage area
-the warm up area
-where your teachers have been sitting mostly (i dont know about others, but mine always sit in the same place for the whole 5 days or whatever)
-and know your way around!

but i can totally one hundred percent vouche for the rescue remedy it has done wonders for me, in exams and stuff too
By scentedbug Comments: 22, member since Tue Oct 09, 2007
On Sat Oct 20, 2007 08:49 PM
great ad. thnks for posting
By ginger22 Comments: 65, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Sun Oct 21, 2007 04:25 AM
As a dad i attend all my daughters comp and i will never forget her first feis the nerves feeling sick so many trips to the loo!! wish we had seen this post.
By jenid Comments: 23, member since Mon Nov 05, 2007
On Tue Nov 06, 2007 07:35 AM
Thanks so much for this post. We're going to our first oireachtas and I really appreciate all the info.
By feismum Comments: 1300, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Tue Nov 06, 2007 08:03 AM
Fab post. We aren't going to our qualifiers but I apply most of the info to every feis we go to! Hopefully one day I'll need it for the O!!
By QueenMaid Comments: 54, member since Thu Jan 03, 2008
On Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 PM
Brilliant Post...
Only thing I would suggest especially for those teenage dancers
You pack it you carry it (especially when they pack for 10 days and you are only gone 3) OMG!

Comment #6900731 deleted

By bebbee Comments: 85, member since Sat Apr 12, 2008
On Sun Apr 13, 2008 09:48 AM
this is a great post. no matter how detemind i might be to follow some of your advise. on the day i will be a quvering bag of nerves. my dd on the other hand wil take it all in her strid!!
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Tue Sep 16, 2008 02:48 AM
I love this post! I already gave you karma and I would do it all again. I always go to O's by myself (I started at age 27 so I can kind of take care of myself), but there are so many tips in there that are invaluable. THANK YOU!
By hbodancer Comments: 38, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Thu Feb 05, 2009 01:12 PM
This is a great post I try as a parent to do as much as you advised. One thing that also works for me is knuckle biting and remembering to breathe again after she has danced
By ardronan Comments: 73, member since Wed Mar 25, 2009
On Tue Jun 09, 2009 04:34 PM
Wow. This is just what I needed and sooo detailed. Thank you. You must be an expert. I'll need to save this.
By irishzippyPremium member Comments: 136, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Thu Sep 03, 2009 05:22 PM
I'm not a parent but this is still awesome. I ordered some Rescue remedy as well and it is fabulous. Karma!!!
By ibutterfly Comments: 177, member since Mon Jun 29, 2009
On Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:00 PM
Great post even if it is not your first Oireachtas! Gave me a better insight to what I could be doing wrong and that is why my DD snaps at me. I would just like to add pack at least 3 bottles of water( for between rounds or before she dances, some sort of tynenol or motrin,an ace bandage, bandaides, extra socks deodrant, wipes, tisssues extra makeup if comp is running long for a quick touch up, pins sftey just in case, needle and thread again accidents happen and some sort of light snack crackers or coany or dare I say it dry fruit. Good luck to all at their Oireachtas this year !!
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch