Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: How to survive your first Oireachtas as a parent
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5215, member since Thu Feb 18, 2010
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 07:57 PM
This is going to sound way dumb; but I'm a Beginner....I'm allowed to sound dumb! But, are the Oireachtas like The States, Nationals, Worlds and stuff like that? Also, I've been staring at this word for a while....how on earth do you pronounce it?

I sound less like an Irish Dancer now.....I have to go now, and rebuild the dancer within..... :P
By foreverclovers Comments: 341, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 09:33 PM
Not dumb at all!
Roughly speaking, an 'Oireachtas' means a 'big championship.' Generally, it is used to refer to regional championship competitions which are the primary world qualifier for dancers in that region.
In Australia, the various 'State Championships' are our primary world qualifiers, and thus are our Oireachtasi. However unlike in the US especially, we rarely refer to them as an Oireachtas, and instead just call them the 'States.'

Secondary world qualifiers, championships which offer dancers a 'second chance' to qualify for worlds, are generally referred to as 'majors.' In Australia, our secondary world qualifier and 'major' is the Australian Nationals.

Majors are generally bigger championships than Oireachtasi, with entrants unrestricted by the region they come from (with the exception of the Australian and New Zealand Nationals.) They include the North American Nationals, All-Irelands and of course the Worlds.

Technically, 'majors' are also 'big championships' (e.g. Oireachtasi) - after all, the gaelic name for the Worlds is Oireachtas Rince Na Cruinne - but in practice 'Oireachtas' is used to refer to primary regional qualifiers only.
Go figure...and I hope I haven't lost you!

As for pronunciation - I believe it is Oh-ROCK-tus.

foreverclovers x
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5215, member since Thu Feb 18, 2010
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:49 PM
OMG, thank you! Yea, I was looking a some friends sashes a while back, and they said Oireachtas, and she had come 2nd in States. I was like: NOOOO! She went to States, not Oi-reaaacchh-taars...

Thanks for the pronounciation clear up! I would look like a fool if I brought it up at class, and everyone turns to me with blank expression!
On Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:06 AM
Can this be done for local Feiseanna too? Or is it less important?
By Greensleeves Comments: 156, member since Thu Aug 27, 2009
On Tue Mar 23, 2010 08:02 PM
This is a FANTASTIC post. I am a parent with a little boy whose TC thinks he has a shot at going to Oireachtas this coming fall. I'm not a crazy stage-mom or anything, but it's nice to hear from a DANCER about what helps most. Really, thanks so much.
By Tokenfire Comments: 34, member since Thu Oct 09, 2008
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 01:42 AM
What insightful tips!! Two years ago, my dd went to her first O. we did exactly as you suggested. She was thrilled to just be there. Her team did really well, but she did not place in the trad set. This past November, we went again. Same philosophy. It was harder for her because her 4 hand team had done so well. Her 8 hand placed and then she placed 8th out of 93 in the trad set. She was SHOCKED!
By happy123 Comments: 7, member since Sun Aug 09, 2009
On Wed Aug 11, 2010 04:17 PM
If it is your first time think about the following- make sure everything ir reaady as you dont want to worry about forgetting anything - keep calm yourself - make sure you dancer is ready and warmed up - if things are getting stressful leave and get some fresh air - but most of all dont show any stress
Good Luck
By leaps4lifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 182, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Thu Aug 12, 2010 05:06 PM
AAAA HHHH !!! This such a fantastic post! I am literally have nightmares about my first O and this post is going to help me AND my mom survive it! Thanx a ton! KARMA
By irishswan27 Comments: 5, member since Sat Aug 14, 2010
On Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 AM
great post!!
By Dollyd Comments: 20, member since Tue Jun 22, 2010
On Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:28 PM
Great post, this is our second Oireachtas but it's great to go back and read it again, thanks.
By Neilsmum Comments: 95, member since Thu Oct 14, 2010
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 09:47 AM
That's probably the best advice I've ever read - glad the post resurfaced so that I would see it! I love how you emphasised that the mum is NOT the teacher, and that our role is purely to love, support and feed. I get so upset when I see mothers putting pressure on their dancers, as if it's not stressful enough already! I have been using Rescue Remedy for many years, but the funny thing is that I hardly ever need it (just knowing it's in my bag seems to be enough), yet all the other mums come round begging for some to pour down their throats!
By mtp Comments: 9, member since Wed Feb 23, 2011
On Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:04 AM
Thanks for taking timhe time to write this post, as a parent I can hear myself saying and doing some of these things.
By irishdancer642 Comments: 197, member since Sun Feb 06, 2011
On Wed Apr 06, 2011 04:29 PM
Wow! No wonder this is a sticky! Great Job~~ this was soooo helpful! Thank You
By Meg5 Comments: 7, member since Mon Oct 04, 2010
On Thu Apr 07, 2011 06:56 AM
Thanks for this amazing piece of literary genius
Rescue remedy is my number one
By logan_walserPremium member Comments: 5, member since Wed Mar 02, 2011
On Tue May 31, 2011 10:04 AM
I'm a dancer and even I find the information to be useful... also the post is 100% right- do not include bribes in the weeks before oireachtas- it is stressful!
By logan_walserPremium member Comments: 5, member since Wed Mar 02, 2011
On Tue May 31, 2011 10:05 AM
I'm a dancer and even I find the information to be useful... also the post is 100% right- do not include bribes in the weeks before oireachtas- it is stressful!
By carlow63 Comments: 339, member since Fri Jan 14, 2005
On Tue May 31, 2011 10:16 AM
If your dancer is going to use tanner for the O, I'd recommend at least one practice session several weeks beforehand. The morning of the competition is not a good time for experimentation!
By knotirish Comments: 21, member since Sat Apr 10, 2010
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 08:55 PM
Great advice! I'll be sure to pass this along to some of the newer dance families in our school.
By tgc Comments: 22, member since Tue Sep 13, 2011
On Sat Sep 24, 2011 07:43 AM
THank you for the great and informative view of the O! We will have 2 there for the first time!
By ame Comments: 28, member since Fri Feb 05, 2010
On Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:33 AM
We have been to the Oireachtas for 3 years doing teams and traditional set, however, this year my daughter will be doing solos, another whole new ball game! Thank you for this wonderful post, I'm going to print it so I can remember all the wonderful advice:)
Thanks for taking the time to post this for the parents!!!
By lovinID Comments: 31, member since Mon Apr 11, 2011
On Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:00 AM
Very insightful!!! It's great to have the dancer's point of view before heading to Oireachtas. Yes, it can be stressful, but there are lots of good pointers here. Thanks!
By BobMeredith Comments: 37, member since Thu Jan 12, 2012
On Sat May 05, 2012 06:10 PM
lots of great advice here, especially the preparation, and making sure you know where everything is - the stages, bathrooms, practice areas, etc. It's nice to be able to be early enough to get on the stages with your shoes to get the feel.
By manymacs Comments: 13, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 AM
This is so inspiring to parents who are new to this! Thank you for writing all this out it helps a lot with my daughter's competitions.
By Irishdancer1998 Comments: 7, member since Mon Jun 11, 2012
On Mon Jun 11, 2012 04:48 PM
Ha Ha mine was last year as a solo. I got 51st. My mom was a little like wow what did I get my daughter into. With the spray tan and everything!!!
By natasha_neason Comments: 23, member since Thu May 12, 2011
On Mon Jul 02, 2012 02:21 PM
A big thankyou for this post! It really helped me to relax and in turn also helped my little one at her first big comp, and she placed 1st!
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch