Forum: Folk / Chinese Classical Dance

Chinese Classical Dance
how to make chinese ribbon "ball" or "bouquet"
By ModernMom Comments: 95, member since Fri Feb 17, 2006
On Thu Oct 11, 2007 09:32 PM

Can anyone help describe how to the make the "ball" or "bouquet" seen at the beginning of some traditional Chinese ribbon dances? I've looked all over the internet for days but can't seem to find any instructions on how to tie the ribbon so that it comes loose when you throw it.

Please help!!

1 Replies to how to make chinese ribbon "ball" or "bouquet"

re: how to make chinese ribbon "ball" or "bouquet"
By Sonatina Comments: 26, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Sun Oct 21, 2007 08:45 PM
I haven't danced with the ribbons for quite a while, but I somewhat remember how to make it into a bouquet. At the end of the stick, you should have an extra piece of fabric with a circle of elastic at the end (shaped like an upside-down dome when the ribbon is extended; something like this: -)~~~~~~ ).
Start gathering little sections (about 7-8 inches of fabric, depending on how long your ribbons are)from where the stick ends. They'll look like |UUUUUU...if you don't bunch them folds together with your hand. Remember while you're gathering the ribbon, hold the collected sections firmly with your other hand so they don't fall out. When you have gathered all of the ribbon, use the piece of fabric w/ elastic to wrap the bottom half of the bundle, leaving the top parts of the ribbon sticking out. Fluff and arrange the top sections.

I hope this helped, as this was how I "bouqueted" my ribbons before. XD I don't have ribbons with me so I can't show you pictures 8|

ReplySendWatch