Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

tap competitions where are they? never been to one .would love to go. read inside
By discodancer1
On Wed Oct 24, 2007 09:10 AM

can i have a list of the competitions and were they are as ive never been to one before and i am very high up in tap
can you give me the ones around and in kent please thankyou so much as i would really love to experience one x

12 Replies to tap competitions where are they? never been to one .would love to go. read inside

re: tap competitions where are they? never been to one .would love to go. read inside
By mercylies
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:33 PM
i'm sorry I can't help you, but I would also like to know.... in the midsouth area for me.... thanks!!!!!!!
re: tap competitions where are they? never been to one .would love to go. read inside
By lindseylu
On Tue Nov 06, 2007 08:32 AM
there are no specific tap comeptitions but you ca enter in a tap category
here is a list of competitions:
starpower
international dance challenge
star systems
nextstar
hall of fame dance
By Dancer517member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 08, 2007 02:08 PM
linds you forgot SHOWSTOPPER!

great comp, very organized and fun

but lindsey thinks its too easy thats why she didnt mention it but i personally love it.

usually tappers do better in tap at certain competitions. i think that starpower and some others favor tapping. good luck!
By lindseylu
On Thu Nov 08, 2007 07:26 PM
Edited by lindseylu (187414) on 2007-11-08 19:26:48
showstopper was hard

real hard
By mikimum
On Fri Nov 09, 2007 04:45 AM
the marjorie davies star tap awards are this sunday near southampton hampshire, pm me if you want more info xx
By kacistar4
On Fri Nov 30, 2007 05:34 AM
tap competitions are all over the place... i go to loads and thats just in the east midlands and i've done them for years
By theri_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 26, 2007 04:36 PM
I'm going to Beyond the Stars this year. My studio has never been there before.

Also we've been to Showstoppers, Starpower, and Starbound.
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Dec 26, 2007 07:07 PM
Edited by blochpointesallt (186871) on 2007-12-26 19:09:52 Clarity
St Louis Tap Festival www.tapheritage.org . . .

New York City tap Festival www.atdf.org . . .

Oklahoma City Tap Festival www.okctapheritage.org

Los Angeles Tap Festival www.latapfest.com . . .

Bay Area Tap Festival www.stepology.com . . .

Tradition In Tap www.traditionintap.org

These are where the real tappers go. MADD Rhythms, Hoofers, real pros. Its intense but some of the best experiences Ive had in my life.
By GonnaBeAStar
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 01:38 PM
^^ Living in England, I don't think the poster has much chance of going to those comps!

Like mentioned above, there are loads of competitions all over the country, but one of my faves is the All Englands - www.all-england-dance.org.uk . . . :)
By jender
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 08:19 PM
Edited by glitterfairy (42646) on 2007-12-27 22:29:21 no netspeak please
are there any tap competitions based in the north west preferably in manchester? and what grade of tap do you have to be at to do these competitions.
By glitterfairyPremium member
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:33 PM
In terms of standards, it really depends on the competition and who is adjudicating.

Here in Sydney, Australia there is a strong lean towards an 'advanced or professional level'. Reliance on tricks is frowned upon and most competitions have abolished any 'costume mark' (it's not unheard of for people to compete in jeans, for example. Although normally these people are guys!). Most of the people above the age of 15 who compete in major competitions should be at pre-pro/professional tapping standard, even if not considering a career as a pro tap dancer. Obviously the younger dancers will be notches down, but all should be dancing at a level beyond what their peers would be if not competing.

The US, from videos I've seen and accounts mentioned here, are significantly more trick-based, which makes sorting into 'levels' difficult.

Not sure what english competitions are like, but best idea is to go to a few and check it out. If it looks too easy, then walk away and find a better competition (the idea isn't to win. It's to improve by way of mutual competition).
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 28, 2007 08:11 PM
At the ones I've been to, This:

www.dance.net . . .

is pretty much standard. Theyre all about 18-23 years old (in this vid)but most of the younger ones are pretty damn good, too

ReplySendWatch