Forum: Folk / Asian Classical Dance

Asian Classical Dance
Anyone dance Odissi and Kathak?
By oriflamenca Comments: 176, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Fri Oct 26, 2007 04:51 PM
Edited by oriflamenca (186415) on 2007-10-26 16:54:56

I am interested in trying some indian classical dance. I am wonderig if anyone dances both Odissi and Kathak. I am not very educated about indian danceing but these are the two forms that I have seen some of. When I was younger I wanted to try Odissi, and now I dance Tahitian at a studio that also offers Kathak. Since I dont know all that that much about either I am having trouble deciding wich one to pursue. I am wondering if anyone that has experience could compare both as far as what they enjoy about either one, what is most difficult, rewarding ect. Maybe people dont dont often dance more then one style, but I gusse that is why I am asking. Also if anyone wants to share information or experience with other forms of indian classical dance I would love that. I think Odissi is very beautiful and I like that it was for dancing in temples. Kathak appeals to me because I love the rhythms, and I can relate to that aspect since I dance Flamenco. I am excited to learn more, so share whatever you want :)

1 Replies to Anyone dance Odissi and Kathak?

re: Anyone dance Odissi and Kathak?
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12135, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Fri Oct 26, 2007 09:56 PM
I did Kathak for a while - part of a scholarship deal between a Kathak teacher and my flamenco teacher who are good friends. It's interesting, and according to my flamenco teacher quite related to flamenco (you see a lot of Kathak and flamenco fusions on the internet).

Personally, I foudn Kathak intriguing but a bit of a mind hump. I'm predominantly a tap dancer so my base is all that "modern" dance form stuff... ballet, jazz, hiphop, which tends to all use the same base. Kathak is different. REALLY different. It has a different 'base' position and a different feel, both mentally and physically. It's very difficult to describe :/ There is this thing called "bole" (sp?) which is how they dictate the movements... rather than giving counts you follow the rhythm, although I'm guessing you already knew that.

If you could sit in on both classes, I'd do that and see which one appeals more to you. I'm of the opinion that choosing dances based on 'how beneficial' they will be for other dance forms is silly, same goes for 'how suitable' a dance form is for you. Go for what genuinely interests you and calls out to you :)

ReplySendWatch