Popular Ballet

Ballet Costumes Needed!! Please Read! by samms333
Hey guys! So my dance studio is doing the wizard of OZ as a ballet and we were wonering if you...

Forum: Adults / Theatre Production

Theatre Production
The role of the "Dance Captain" en>fr fr>en
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1133, member since Tue Dec 27, 2005
On Thu Nov 01, 2007 05:31 PM

My senior high is doing The Scarlet Pimpernel for our musical, and the director asked me to be the dance captain. Of course, I accepted =D

I know the dance captain works closely with the choreographers, and when they're not there, they make sure the dances are being done correctly, they learn all the choreography, and even aid in choreographing if necessary. At least, thats what my director has told me thusfar.

Is there anything else I need to know? Has anyone here ever been the dance captain for their musical?

Thanks!

-kerplooey

4 Replies to The role of the "Dance Captain"

re: The role of the "Dance Captain" en>fr fr>en
By glitterfairyPremium member Comments: 12093, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 03:49 AM
I've been Dance Captain once.

It was a bit weird for me because the choreographer was my teacher, so there was a lot we did that was 'silently' communicated. To this day I'm not sure how much of it was 'dance captaining' and simply doing what I knew she'd want to have happen (although I guess that's dance captaining).

In addition to what you've covered (less so of actual choreography for - that's what assistant choreographers are for) the dance captain is basically there to look for and raise attention for things the choreographer doesn't see. Perhaps a dance consistently has trouble changing formation, or you see dancers struggling with a section but too afraid to bring it up to the choreographer (at which point you go "Hey, could we go over that again?" ;) ).
By saor_celticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1049, member since Thu Jul 19, 2007
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 07:50 AM
Congrats on the honor! From my experience, you act in place of the choreographers, should they not be there. Moreso after everyone has learned a dance or has trouble with spots, you help the cast learn what they need to. i've taken people aside in between downtime and gone over dances with them when either the choreographer was busy helping another group or wasn't there.

I would also suggest talking with the choreographers and finding out if there is anything in particular that they want or need you to do. Good luck.
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1133, member since Tue Dec 27, 2005
On Fri Nov 02, 2007 03:56 PM
Thanks to the both of you for your advice =)

The choreographers (there's 2) for this show are different than the directors, so I should be working with them separately than with the director. Also, the director himself mentioned that i'd be helping with some choreographing, by default, making me assistant choreographer, since there isn't really one already named? I guess? Two choreographers, plus an assistant choreographer plus a dance captain would be a lot of dance people... especially for a show like The Scarlet Pimpernel that doesn't have really any big dance numbers anyways.

But yes! I'll definitely talk to the choreographers once rehearsals start, or before if possible. It's exciting because my director told me that Danny (one of the choreographers, who was there at the acting/singing audition) was adament about me being dance captain ^_^ Apparently he saw my resume :P

Thanks again for your comments

-kerplooey
By changinandhowmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Sun Nov 18, 2007
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 03:36 PM
If for any reason someone new joins the cast, you'll most likely be responsible for teaching them the choreography as well.

ReplySendWatch