Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Good site for guard?
By dancer_meggs
On Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:26 AM

I was wondering if anybody knew any good websites for color guard help and new ways to practice and stuff. Or if you guys knew a site specifically just for color guard questions.

P.S.
I have a question that somebody might be able to answer. What is the primary dance style for color guard and what basic dance skills (arabasque, stag leap, splits) should I know for normal high school level color guard?

4 Replies to Good site for guard?

re: Good site for guard? (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 03, 2007 01:19 PM
It really depends on the guard, but it's usually a form of stylized jazz. Some guards don't dance at all. And if it's an advanced guard, you might get some modern technique and more advanced jazz stuff.

just for example, here's what I might teach to a normal HS guard...
chasse
saute
assemble
jete
sissone
chainne turns
tendu/degage
kicks

for more advanced guards, I might add...
pirouettes
attitude turns
fouette jumps
contractions
layouts
russians
re: Good site for guard?
By dancer_meggs
On Sat Nov 03, 2007 03:42 PM
thank you panic :) umm I'm gunna have to look up half of those words, but I get the jist of it :D
By Munki03
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 08:45 AM
And typically the instructor will teach the specific technique....they want everyone to look the same. Are you currently on guard, or are you planning on trying out for one?
By dancer_meggs
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 09:33 AM
I'm planning on trying out, this is my last year to tryout, so i want to be sure that i make it, becuase form here on out it's college guard!

I've been watching the guard when i have free time in Chemistry, and it looks like a lot of fun, and right now i've been practicing with a broom stick.

ReplySendWatch