Poll: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Knit or Crochet?
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:42 AM

I taught myself how to knit a couple of years ago. We just started a knitting club at school where we knit/crochet blankets for babies and my friend told me crocheting is easier for a blanket, so I just learned how to crochet. Now I do both! What does everyone else do?

26 Replies to Knit or Crochet?

re: Knit or Crochet?
By moara
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:56 AM
I'm a long time crocheter, but I've recently started doing more knitting as well.
It might just be because I've done more of it, but generally crochet goes much faster than knitting, especially if you're following a lacy pattern. When you're doing a project as large as a afghan, just a little more speed can make a difference by the end.
On the other hand, knitting uses much less yarn, and results in a drapy-er stretchier piece.

Usually for small, dense or complicated pieces, I crochet them. But I've just finished a really flattering shrug that would have been too bulky if I crocheted it.
By ShuleARuemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 25, 2007 07:09 PM
I made several attempts to crochet, but my squares always came out as triangles... I think I better stick to knitting :D
By Liritmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 07:23 PM
I can crochet a chain, but once I get beyond that, I'm utterly confused. No tutorial in the world has helped me figure it out. I worry crochet is a lost cause for me, but I'd love for that to not be true.

That said, I don't think it could ever take the place of knitting in my heart. I love love LOVE knitting. And I get paid on Saturday, so I can blow it all on yarn, glorious yarn! :D
By punkgirl59
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 07:28 PM
I used to crochet all the time, but I'm way too busy now. I've never tried to knit. And I probably never will.

~*~Punkgirl~*~

Long live punk rocK
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 06:34 AM
I can do both, but I answered that I crochet, because I've done FAR more projects with crochet than with knitting.

I can fly when I'm crocheting - I've made up entire afghans in 4 days (I was sick at home and had nothing else to do) - but knitting takes up so much more of my time.

I'm teaching myself how to embroider for some xmas craft projects, and I know how to cross-stitch, too.
By Nout
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 08:30 AM
I've never done crochet. I love to knit though. Nothing so sweet as wearing a scarf you have made yourself. ^^
By LeMusiquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 07:07 PM
I do both, but knitting is more of my specialty. That and.. I haven't crocheted in like two years! I would probably be able to pick my memory right up..but whatever.

I am currently in the process of knitting a scarf. I think it will be done just in time for the Holidays!! ;)
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:02 PM
Knit.

I CAN crochet, just not very well! I can chain for a long time. But once I try even single crochet, I'm a lost cause. I too make squares that end up being triangles!

I've knit an afghan in about 2 weeks. I REALLY wanted it! I also made a Clapotis in just 4 or 5 days! I'm insane! I tend to knit really fast.

Right now, I'm making a mitten (I already finished one, I just need to finish the other!) and the Twinings Stole from knitspot.com. I am also about to start the Tuscany Shawl from the book No Sheep For You by Amy Singer. I also would like to do Square Cake from Winter 07 Knitty, but I might not get to that until after Christmas!
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 26, 2007 09:30 PM
I love to crochet!!! I have a book that shows you how to crochet patterns that look similar to knitting so that you can make sweaters that have a knit-look binding to the cuffs and bottoms. I made a sweater and it came out great. I've also made a duffel-style bag and even a rug. Currently I'm working on a vest5. I wish I had more time to crochet. But I collect books and patterns always in the hope that I'll get to do it more!

I cannot knit. Well, I can, but not with two hands! I'm very strongly left-handed and when I hold the needles in my hands my right hand will not cooperate and it goes badly very quickly. However, if I prop the right needle between my knees so that it sticks straight up and down, I can work the left needle no problem. Thing is, it looks really stupid doing it this way so I've just sort of given up. ;)
By KimmieVmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 29, 2007 06:14 PM
I love crochet, and it goes pretty quickly for me. Every time I've tried to knit I end up with stitches that are too tight and I can't hook them with the needle, or I loose stitches, or some other disaster. I've given up for now, but I might give it a go again some day.
By Poshoedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 31, 2007 01:36 AM
I do both. I enjoy both of them too, crocheting I have to look at more than knitting though, because I have to see where I'm putting the hook.

If I ever meet any of you who are lost at crochet, I will try and help you learn how to do it.

:)Poshoeda
By ravnmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:40 AM
I can do both-- however, I really don't tend to like the way crocheted items look, so given a choice, I'll knit. To me, crocheted pieces just look so... unrefined.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 09, 2008 08:28 PM
I can do both as well.

However...I'm better at Knitting.

Kinda sucks because I'm working on baby blankets right now....and they are require crochet edging/shell.

:?
By greentutu2
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:48 AM
I love to crochet. I'm making a ton of sweaters right now for myself and friends. It just gives me something to do in my spare time. I knit too, just not as much. It takes so long (it seems) to make anything that's knit. But I understand that I'm probably a lot slower than experts.
By dancehappy03member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 08:11 AM
I crotchet! i never learned how to knit, it'd be fun but looks kind of hard.
-dancehappy
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 20, 2008 04:57 AM
Crochet to do because it's quicker and you can see what's happening, but knitted stuff to wear because of the feel and drape of the fabric. Lucky my mum knits!
By choccielatte
On Thu Jun 05, 2008 05:17 PM
I can crochet but I've been knitting since I was three - I love knitting.

Currently shaping some new knitted dark pink and ballet pink leg warmers in this lovely yarn.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:49 PM
Crochet. I'm not co-ordinated enough to knit.

I'm actually really proud of my crochet: I taught myself using the instructions on the Lion Brand website, and have made some (if I do say so) quite nice things. Can't do it for too long at a time, though, as it causes the tendonitis in my hands to play up. Oh well.
By PowerPointe
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 07:10 PM
I knit AND crochet! Although, I usually do more knitting because it seems to work up faster than crochet for me.
By Spookiesquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 19, 2009 07:23 PM
Crochet for me.

Unfortunatly I have been too busy practicing dance and other tasks lately to pick up my hooks and start a project.
By cloudii
On Fri Feb 06, 2009 05:18 PM
Crochet.
I would like to knit, but I've tried and it's like trying to crochet without a hook! Knitting stiches always slip right of the end of the needle.
By Yvonnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:52 PM
I learned how to knit years ago but I prefer to crochet. Seems easier and I feel like it gives you more freedom to be creative with your projects.
By veganwarriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 PM
I learned to knit first, so then I tried to teach myself to crochet. It did not work out. My grandma had to show me eventually. I kept trying to knit with a crochet hook, because I couldn't grasp the concept. I know pretty much everyone says crochet is easier, but knitting is easier for me. Crochet gives you more versatility. Sometimes you can combine them, and that is the best.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch