Forum: Guard / Color Guard

For those of you that do rifle
By danzfanatik
On Tue Nov 06, 2007 09:33 AM

I am interested in learning. I was just wondering how difficult it is to learn and how long it took you to master the basics. Also, does anyone know of any websites or videos that might help me along with learning from a teacher? Any other opinions on rifle would be helpful too. Thanks!!

3 Replies to For those of you that do rifle

re: For those of you that do rifle (karma: 1)
By poodlemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 06, 2007 07:41 PM
Well, if you know flag then rifle should come a little bit easier. An important thing to know is that it is extreamly easy to learn something wrong when you are teaching yourself rifle. And, it is even harder to get out of a bad habit that you teach yourself. So, if you want to learn from videos, that fine, just find someone who does rifle just to check that you are doing everything the way it's supposed to be done.

My first year I was put on flag for our show but at practices they had us all start to learn rifle. Now this is my second year and I know rifle and I did it for our show still along with some flag work. So, it wont take you that long to at least learn the basics.

Some guard websites which may contain help/info/videos:
1.colorguardcorner.tripod.com . . .
2.colorguardcorner.tripod.com . . .
3.video.google.com . . .=
4.jordanguard.wordpress.com . . .
5.www.colorguardcentral.com . . .
6.www.colorguardcentral.com . . .

Hope you learn rifle!

Stephanie
re: For those of you that do rifle
By HisGuardGirlBC
On Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:37 PM
It really wasnt that hard for me to learn..but I have an amazing instructor. You just have to work at it really hard and dont be afraid of getting hit, because you will so you just have to get over that. lol but good luck!!
re: For those of you that do rifle
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Nov 10, 2007 04:28 PM
Rifle can take years to perfect, but you can certainly learn the basics in a few months if you work your butt off. I joined a world-class guard as a flag and got promoted to the rifle/saber line because I had dance experience (I'd never done rifle though). Three months later, I had to throw a 6, 2 5s and about a million quads in the show. I don't suggest doing it that way, but it's possible if you really REALLY put your mind to it. And yes, it's better to have an instructor's guidance, but that really applies to the finer details. Having an instructor doesn't help you get it around 4 or 5 times in the air. That just takes lots of practice. Good luck!!

ReplySendWatch