Popular Owners

Solo Fees by stylizedbeauti09
Wondering what others charge/include in their solo/duo/trio pricing. I know it completely ranges...

Forum: Teaching Assistants

Teaching Assistants
Dance Games for 2.5-5 year olds. en>fr fr>en
By tapgirl_83 Comments: 21, member since Wed Jan 22, 2003
On Mon Nov 12, 2007 07:33 AM

I'm looking for some new games to play with the youngest students at my studio. I have been teaching little dancers for almost 10 years now, and I'm starting to get bored with the games I play with them in class. If anyone has any thing that they have tried that has worked REALLY well or didn't work at all let me know.
Thanks SO MUCH!!!

3 Replies to Dance Games for 2.5-5 year olds.

re: Dance Games for 2.5-5 year olds. en>fr fr>en
By Libbiebeth Comments: 607, member since Wed May 02, 2007
On Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:14 AM
I use these with my younger students:

The animal game (the students have to come up and act out quietly an animal and the other students guess what they are)

Dance simon says game

My favorite step game (the students do their favorite step and the others have to guess the name)

Draw a dance step out of the hat (card with dance steps on them and the students have to demonstrate the step and the others have to guess the correct term)

Who can do the biggest leap (have them start run and jumps with 2 objects close together on the floor that they are jumping over then after every jump move the objects farther away so they have make their jumps bigger and higher) I usually use carpets or leg warmers for this
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Tue Nov 13, 2007 09:33 PM
Here are some games we do in my classes that the kids like a lot:

- Freeze dance (the kids LOVE this one)
- The animal game (choose an animal and dance like it)
- Red Light Green Light (using dance steps like chasse, chaine or whatever)
- Follow the leader (again, use dance steps)

Hope that helps!
By msrebecca Comments: 127, member since Wed Aug 18, 2004
On Wed Nov 14, 2007 01:49 PM
Make up a story and have them act it out. For example I tell them about a castle far away, with princesses/princes that happen to have the same names as the kids in class. I post the following pictures around the room: flowers, rainbow, stepping stones and castle. The more you embellish the better--long story short I have them skip to the flowers, chasse to the rainbow, leap to the stepping stones and releve walk to the castle.

Get a deck of ballet positions, (or make your own) you can make up lots of games.

Mr Wolf--works best with an assistant since you have to turn your back. You get some distance in front of your kids and the assistant, with your back turned have them say "What time is Mr. Wolf, then you tell them how to move so they can sneak up and surprise you (The Wolf). Each time they ask you give them a task ie 2 skips or 3 plies or 4 battement kicks etc.

For plie and plie saute, ask each child to name an animal, if it is a small animal have them plie if it's a large animal plie saute.

This next one I just read on another thread, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds fun. Cut pictures from dance catalogs. Have each student pick one and then have them copy the pose.

My preschool students love to be butterflies, I have picked up lots of chiffon scarves (Goodwill) and use the Secret Garden CD-Rosemary Boross (Butterfly Song) I have them put rubber stars around the room. When the songs says better get a flower I have them go to a star--they really love this one.

ReplySendWatch