Forum: Folk / Folk - General

George Washington Loved to Dance....and so should you!
By carolinecopeland
On Mon Nov 12, 2007 08:13 AM

General Washington was known to dance indiscriminately and for hours on end at the Balls and Dancing Assemblies of the American Revolution. And General Rochambeau could pick up a violin and accompany Washington in the latest Minuet! Those were the days....

Why not experience what was popular during our nation's youth? I am a professional dancer who is also a dance researcher and teacher, experienced in teaching historical dance to students of all ages and levels!

Learning the dance figures and steps to such popular tunes as Yankee Doodle and Away to Camp is just one way to enrich our understanding of American History while having fun!

Why not include these historical dances into our contra-dance events as well as our children's physical education?

1 Replies to George Washington Loved to Dance....and so should you!

re: George Washington Loved to Dance....and so should you!
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Thu Nov 22, 2007 05:53 AM
You'll find a certain amount of American Heritage dance among International folk dancers, and you probably could sell contra dancers on a certain amount of this, but I think that our children in phys-ed classes would be turned off completely. Have you forgotten how much peer pressure you were under when YOU were a phys-ed pupil?

Actually, the effort to teach patriotism, instead of earning it, has reached a ridiculous frenzy. Without question, any soldier in ANY country would have reacted the same way that Phillip Nolin did in "The Man Without a Country"; the story originally was written as part of a political campaign; and the only lesson that story taught me was not to expect a sequitur response to any grievance or upset voiced to any of my mentors.

ReplySendWatch