Forum: General / Holidays

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Holidays
The "what to get my boyfriend/girlfriend" thread
By irishdancer113member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1706, member since Sat Dec 07, 2002
On Sun Nov 18, 2007 05:02 PM
Moved to Holidays by Theresa (28613) on 2007-11-18 20:12:11 moved to correct forum
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2007-11-28 17:30:05

So, it's that time of year again, when everyone's starting to think about holiday shopping.

And since, every year, we always have a TON of "What should I get my boyfriend/girlfriend for Christmas?" posts, I figured we need a thread of ideas.

So, everyone, what was the coolest gift you ever gave to a significant other? Is there one they're STILL going on about to this day? What was the best gift you've ever received from a boyfriend or girlfriend?

Hopefully this will spark some ideas in those of us who are absolutely stuck!

(And even if it doesn't, it'll still be fun to read about :) )

25 Replies to The "what to get my boyfriend/girlfriend" thread

re: The "what to get my boyfriend/girlfriend" thread
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34923, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Nov 18, 2007 05:43 PM
This isn't a boyfriend, but my brother is quite musical, and quite into movies, so the year "That Thing You Do" came out on video, I bought him the movie, and a box of popcorn.

He still swears it was one of the best gifts he's ever gotten!

He's also big into The Beatles, and one year I was walking through Wal-Mart, and there was a Beatles DVD in the 2/$10 DVD bin, and I thought "What the heck?" and got it for him for Christmas. He loved it!

My sister is also a big fan of The Beatles, and one year, The Beatles were on the cover of TV guide, and there was a bunch of different covers, that were all "Collectors Edition", so I bought every single one, and gave them to her all together.

And yes, the cashier thought I'd lost my mind. Hee!

t
By Merfi Comments: 3100, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Sun Nov 18, 2007 06:16 PM
Well, one of my friends is spending 6 months overseas while her parents are on sabbatical, so for her birthday we are sending her a DVD of heaps of her friends and teachers and stuff saying happy birthday to her. It's pretty awesome. :P Along with it we are sending a package of very 'kiwi' things she won't be able to get overseas.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11338, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sun Nov 18, 2007 06:25 PM
I bought an ex of mine a children's book that he read as a child. Of course, he broke up with me right before Christmas, so even though it eventually got to him I felt like burning it or tearing it up in his face.

I got my boyfriend a vegan cookbook for Christmas last year, and although we have very good intentions about using it to cook together, we haven't tried a recipe from it yet. ;) For his birthday this year I got him tickets to a basketball game since we're both huge fans. I have no idea what I'm giving him for Christmas this year...I was hoping to go to Florida to meet his family (for the first time) over Christmas but it didn't work out.

Dani
By buckeye2 Comments: 3679, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Sun Nov 18, 2007 07:21 PM
My boyfriend is really picky. I tried paying attention to things he says he wants. The only problem is that the next week he's already bought it for himself.

So for Christmas this year, I put a "Gift Ideas for my Boyfriend" folder on my computer in "My Favorites" section on the internet. Now whenever he's surfing on my laptop, he will bookmark the pages of stuff that he really wants. And he's not allowed to buy any of it until after Christmas when he sees what I buy him.
By elliebelliemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1990, member since Mon Nov 22, 2004
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 02:43 AM
My boyfriend wants me to get him a digital camera.. I just would like to have abit more choice in getting him a present... And I only want to spend about $400 on him for a good camera... so we'll see how I go.

One gift that he loved but I don't think he really looks at anymore is the present I gave him for our 1yr anniversary. It was a scrapbook of all the months we had been together with little letters to him I got printed out on special paper and made envelopes to glue to the page... yeah well it was cute lol. It was the closest I've ever been to seeing my boyfriend cry, lol.

Last Christmas I got my boyfriend a new phone, he was going crazy because the phone he had at the time wasn't working and it was driving him insane... But he was very very relieved when I got it for him.

My boyfriend has bought me: A jewellery box, a teddy, clothes, underwear (not suitable for under 16s!!!!), a bracelet, an ipod, a ring, a watch... It's just the little things he does, lol.

Awww now you guys have got me all gushy!

He also writes cards for me... When we first started going out, we were sorta serious but... not... so when it was my birthday I invited him over, obviously, but he wrote in my card "Dear Ellie, Wishing you a Happy Birthday, Love from (elliebellie's boyfriend)"

And then at our first Christmas it was COMPLETELY different... he even wrote me a little poem. LOL! That meant more to me than his good presents though. Him spilling a little emotion! :)

elliebellie
By AIMEE1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2045, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 03:54 AM
Me and my best friend once bought our boyfriends paintball guns for xmas (they were also friends). They had ours of fun messing about with them on Xmas day, we didn't get to see much of them though.
My boyfriend likes all of the electric shock games as well. I've got him one of those ones where 4 people hold onto a handle each and they have to press a button on the top and the last person to do it gets a shock. I've also got him the toy gun one as well, each player has a pack on that shocks them when they get shot.
They are really funny but i won't play it with him, it's horrible!

Aimee x
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:25 AM
My boy is easy to buy for, but I always want to spend way too much. Last year I got him a Bose sound dock for his iPod, which he totally loves and is all he uses for music in his new condo. It was $400, but totally worth it.

The best gift I've probably ever gotten was our first Christmas together...I think it was actually for my birthday (Christmas Eve), but he got me an aquarium with all the stuff to go with it, all the decorations and plants and rocks and the heater and filter and that kind of thing, then he took me to buy fish for it a couple days later. I loved it- such an original idea.
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:40 PM
My sister got her boyfriend a star. You know like in A Walk To Remember? It was like that :) It was really cute.
I forget the name of the website from where she got it from but I can ask her if any of you are interested.
By Lissymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1235, member since Fri Dec 26, 2003
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 06:15 PM
Edited by Lissy (80567) on 2007-11-19 18:20:11
Last year I splurged on my boyfriend's gift and bought him a new iPod nano--his old iPod died a few months prior to Christmas, and I felt a bit bad, so I decided to get him a new one, and he really liked it. We had been going out for over a year then, so I wouldn't exactly spend so much if you've been going out for only a few months or whatnot.

The iPod nano I got him was black and about $200 US. I'm not sure if the prices are the same now that the Nano has changed, so I would consult the Apple store if you're interested in buying your boyfriend that. I also got him some "iPod socks" to cover it. I think those are about $30 US for a set of five in different colors.

I love Tiffany jewelry, and my boyfriend got me a silver Tiffany heart necklace last year for Christmas. The one he got me wasn't one of the more expensive ones (thankfully), but it was still really pretty, and I wear it practically every day, so it's nice. I think we spent about the same amount on each other last year, so it was even. :)

This year I'm not too sure what to get him, honestly. I guess I'll have to keep checking this thread to get some ideas. Nice thread! :P
By HollieErin Comments: 3422, member since Tue Feb 19, 2002
On Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:21 PM
The one thing that I got boyfriend that he still drooling over (his dad and brother too) was a black with white trimmed 12-string Garrison acoustic guitar.
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sat Nov 24, 2007 08:48 AM
I'm getting my boyfriend a nipple piercing this year.

Beat that.
By carpe_diem Comments: 18, member since Sat Oct 13, 2007
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 05:32 PM
^ hehe. my boyfriend already has a nipple piercing. beat that! :] lol.

I ordered a Pantera shirt online [my bf's in lovvve with the band. So am I]
it's one he tried on when we were shopping together, but they didn't have a Medium in stock.

buuut I'm not sure what else to get! a tee shirt is nice, but not the most romantic thing ever.
By dancingtilldeath Comments: 652, member since Tue Jun 17, 2003
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:37 PM
I'm on exchange right now in Hawaii and my boyfriend loves Quicksilver, Oneill and all those other surf/skate brands. At home you can buy them at PacSun but he loves getting them straight from the source, especially if they say Quicksilver, Honolulu, HI. I bought him a long sleeve button down shirt and two t-shirts from Quicksilver. I also got him a Quicksilver hat, and an Opeth CD. I might want to mention that he also loves clothes, so this gift is perfect for him!
By irishdancer113member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1706, member since Sat Dec 07, 2002
On Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:35 AM
For our 1 year anniversary last year, I was way low on money and decided to do something inexpensive, but from the heart. So, I got a box at a craft store that you can put a picture in the top of, and painted it. I put a picture of him and me in there, and then filled the box with guitar picks that each had an inside joke or memory on them. I included an invitation to a picnic lunch, which we did the next week.

He's still telling me how much he loved that gift a year later!
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3922, member since Sat Sep 28, 2002
On Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:28 PM
I just go by what I know my boyfriends likes. Our first Christmas together I made him a pillow. I did some spool knitting for the top of the pillow in black and green. I then spiraled it around and sewed it together. I then added some black soft material to the back and then suffed it. I also added on a little pocket to the pack of it. He absolutely loved it.

Last Christmas I got him an expensive video game that he had wanted.

I already have his present for this Christmas. I got him this $100 gothic shirt from Harajuku that is really cool. In case anyone is wondering about Harajuju it is in Tokyo and is known for its fashion,especially the gothic fashion. It is a white buttom up shirt with a black tie. Part of the sleeves are detatched and then held on loosely by a chain. There is a cross on the shirt along with some writing and it also looks bloody. The back has a corset design to it and their is also the corsettying along the tails of the shirt. It is so awesome. I also got him some pins from the anime Death note. I picked him up an ashtray and a pack of Death cigarettes from Kyoto. I am going to this store called Book Off today and I might pick him up some cheap J-rock cds if I can find what he wants.

I just go by his style and his likes. If you really know the person you are dating it is really easy to shop for them. This year was especially easy for me since my boyfriend pretty much loves anything Japanese.

Goodluck to everyone who is still deciding.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3200, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Thu Dec 20, 2007 03:06 AM
I ended up get le boy a watch since he is constantly asking me what time it is. Fossil brand, titanium...it is really really light and not too bulky.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Dec 20, 2007 09:13 AM
I finally finished shopping for my boy!

He's just bought a condo, so he's getting a toaster oven and a set of lime green and black Ikea dishes (matches the kitchen) and some glasses- he's got almost NO kitchenware.

Then, I got him a nice rolling carry-on bag from United Colours of Benetton. It's got a tiny black and white houndstooth kind of print, which he will LOVE, and it's perfect for him because he hates checking luggage when we fly (had it lost one too many times) but doesn't have a really nice piece of carry-on. We're also leaving December 29 for San Francisco, so he'll be able to use it right away.

And finally, he got a pair of MEC long underwear, haha- he walks to unil some days and it is way too cold here to do that in just his jeans. He asked for this one, so I know it's what he wanted (but what a lame gift, huh?)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34923, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 AM
My boyfriend has an obsession with chips and salsa. Like, it's weird. My uncle was just telling me about this crazy store with like, an entire wall of salsa. I'm getting ready to go in there, pick up a bunch of different salsas, and then I'll probably pop over to Trader Joes, and get a bunch of different kinds of chips!

I just don't know how i'm going to hide it all weekend!
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8231, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Thu Dec 20, 2007 04:18 PM
^ thats a really cute idea. Im the same with dipping sauces. I LOVE them for chips, chicken strips, pretzals, etc

Ive never been on it but go to gifts.com if your having trouble buying for someone. YOu type in some basic info about the person and they give you gift suggestions. Good idea if you ask me. Happy shopping!
On Fri Dec 21, 2007 08:54 PM
I did the chips and salsa thing. I think Jim is going to really like it!

I got six different kind of salsas, that were as different as I could find:

-Jalapeno and green chili based, so it's green!
-Cucumber and Jicima based, so it's really mild
-Habanero and lime base, so it's really hot!
-Corn based. It's tomato free. I think it should be interesting!
-Peach based. I've had this one before, and it's crazy awesome!
-Smoked. Whatever that'll do for it, we'll have to see.

I also got three different kids of chips - blue corn, multi grain (the name on the bag is "Chips with an identity crisis" - lol!), and regular yellow.

It's wicked awesome. I think he'll totally dig it.

I'm going out tomorrow to do a little bit more shopping, and I don't know what else to get him. The chips and salsa thing is rad, but it doesn't feel like enough. :/ I buy him clothes, and he swears he loves them, but rarely, if ever, wears any of them. My sister got him a fleece, so that's out.

I'm stuck!

t
By fdlgirl_002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 485, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:24 PM
For my ex's birthday I got him a pocket watch and then had it engraved with his initials. He loved it and to my knowledge, still uses it when he dresses up. I also got him Giorgio Armani cologne for Christmas one year.

This year for my current's birthday I sent him a care package with Starbucks coffee and three different travel cups. And of course some of the soap he uses from bath and body works. He loved it. It's like the gift that keeps on giving though, because I have been sending him replenishments since then.

The best gift I got was a bouquet of 150 paper roses. My boyfriend had spend months folding these things and then gluing pipe cleaner stems on them. He then put paper leaves on them, each had a different thing he liked about me. It really was the cutest thing ever. I now have a small bunch of paper roses everywhere. (Car, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen etc.) I honestly, would expect a girl to do something like this, but he thought of it and did it. Honestly, it's the cutest thing ever.

There are really great ideas on here, awesome thread!!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:29 PM
I found a cute gift at Urban Outfitters: what looks like a cassette tape, but has a USB port inside so you can load mp3s on it, and it still looks like an old-school cassette. Now, I'm stuck on the perfect songs. If you guys have any suggestions, pm me! I'm ready to get this just right for him! (I also bought him a graphic novel that I read and he said he wanted to read. I know that he'd love it so I just bought it for him.)

Songs I have:
Theme from "Loaded Gun" - Matt Dusk
Everything - Michael Buble
Vanilla Rain Drops - Chris Bryan
Accidentally In Love - Counting Crows
Stupid for You - Marie Digby
Come on Get Higher - Matt Nathanson
Hallelujah - Teddy Geiger

My goal is to get over half that he's never heard--he's a music buff so I have my work cut out for me. Tell me if you think of more, please!
By Ampersandmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2702, member since Fri Aug 29, 2003
On Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:07 AM
^ I got that cassette/usb music thing before I went away this summer and when me and my boyfriend would send little packages or letters back and forth that is what we would use to send music or small mixes. I thought it was really fun and sweet and a nice way to kinda mix the whole "mix tape" thing up a bit. My only problem with it was that it didn't hold enough songs for my liking, but it did its job I suppose. haha. I was glad that you can keep using and re-using it though. So I am sure at some point it will resurface itself in our exchanges again ;)

This Christmas will be my boyfriend and I's first Christmas together. We were friends for a year or so before dating, but we didn't really do a big deal gift exchange thing last year, just small funny stuff. Our anniversary is on new years, so we decided that we are only doing gifts for christmas, and instead of buying gifts for our anniversary, we are just going to use that money we would have spent on gifts and spend it on a super nice date together. We are both poor college/fresh out of college 20-somethings, so I would much rather spend that money on an awesome time with him, than on more gifts.

For Christmas though I am getting him a few small things. I have been plotting for a little while, and hopefully in the end he really likes it. He is Jewish, and I am Catholic, so kindof as a little joke I am not getting him one big gift for christmas, I am getting him 8 small-ish gifts for Hanukkah. The small issue with this is that because Hannukah falls right on the tail end of my school semester, actually giving him the gifts then is not going to happen. I will be busy tearing my hair out over finals. I will definitely not have time to wrap gifts. haha :P I am sure that when he does get them he will think it was a nice gesture and see the humor in it though.

So far I have gotten him:
- A vintage camera from the 20's. It is the kind that needs to be stood up on a tripod and expanded. I don't really know anything about camera's, but he is a photographer and a camera buff of sorts and likes to collect old ones. I saw this one and knew he didn't have one like it yet and thought it would look really great on his shelves with the other ones he has.
- This really fun slide viewer. A lot of the art work he does right now has to do with old slides that he has found from people at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. He is always looking for new and better ways to look at them and show them to people and etc. I saw this and immediately thought of him. It works similar to a viewmaster, but bigger and better. I need to get some new batteries and possibly a lightbulb, but so far it looks like it will be a ton of fun to play with.
- A hand made wood dreidel and some chocolate gelt. Silly, fun, and something he can keep and hopefully cherish for a while. I bought it from a local store with artisans that specialize in handmade wooden toys and such.
- The book Golem, by David Wisniewski. It has extremely beautiful hand done papercut illustrations. It is supposed to be a childrens book, but I have read it (bad girlfriend!) and it has some pretty heavy stuff in it. It involves one of his favourite religious/historical stories though, and has amazing illustrations, so I know he will appreciate it.
- New jewelry. He has his septum pierced, and keeps mentioning wanting new jewelry for it and etc, but never goes out to get it. So who said that girls are the only ones to get jewelry as presents ;) haha. It is just a semi-circular barbell, but it has smaller balls on the ends and a dark nobium finish that he likes, so it isn't crazy large and obnoxious.
- A small replica of the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. Boy may be mostly jewish, but he still has a small childlike fascination with all things christmas related. He is especially fond of A Charlie Brown Christmas. He is in the process of getting a new apartment and all, so he can't really have a real christmas tree. I thought this would do instead ;)
- A standard of mine, a mix cd and a letter. This one will be christmas related songs mostly, probably as cheesy and ridiculous as possible. I pride myself on making some of the worlds funniest mix cds. This will hopefully not be an exception. I also always like to write letters too, or draw small doodles and pictures and etc just to kinda be goofy and give everything a more personal touch.
- and a final gift I haven't figured out yet! haha. I have such a hard time planning gifts in advance because I usually pick up something when I see something that reminds me of that person that I think they would really like. A lot of these other things either fell right into my lap so to speak, or only needed a minimal amount of research, so I have been lucky. Just one more gift and I will be all set, even if it is something completely ridiculous. I can't give only 7 gifts for Hanukkah!
By gleepglop27 Comments: 20, member since Fri Aug 03, 2012
On Wed Dec 19, 2012 05:18 PM
So far I've gotten him a camera, fancy lens, and snow boots.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch