Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Dress bag pattern?
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 27, 2007 06:05 PM

I want to throw together a dress bag REALLY quickly (as in the next 3 days... I know it's late, but I just remembered how cumbersome my old one is). I don't want to buy one, because the cheapest I have seen them for is $50 and I really don't have anywhere near that amount to spend on a bag!!
Does anyone know of any online free patterns? Or have you made one yourself, and could just give me directions for how to make one?

Thank you so much! I'd really appreciate hearing anyone's advice!! :)

3 Replies to Dress bag pattern?

re: Dress bag pattern? (karma: 4)
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 03:46 AM
Edited by Cluich (64754) on 2007-11-28 03:56:18
For a full-length dress bag (for a fold-over bag, see below):
1. Lay your dress flat and measure the full length of the dress and the width of the skirt. Buy TWICE the length of the dress in fabric, making sure that the fabric is wide enough for your skirt to fit in.
2. Cut out the shape of your dress (see picture) with about 2 inches all round extra.
Image hotlink - 'http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/cluich/fuldress.gif'
3. Sew along the seams, leaving one long side open for the zip, and leaving a hold in the top for the coat hanger to go through (blue dot in the picture).
4. Sew in a zip in the side.
ALTERNATIVE 1: leave the bottom open and sew in a zip there.
ALTERNATIVE 2: sew all sides shut, cut a long slit in the front of the bag and sew in the zipper there.
The quickest way for an impromptu fold-over dress bag is as follows:
1. Lay your dress flat and fold the bodice over the skirt. Measure the length of the skirt.
2. Buy TWICE the length of the skirt in fabric, which should be wide enough for the width of the skirt.
3. Place fabric (folded in two) on a flat surface, place your dress on top with the dress waist on the fabric fold and trace around the skirt with about 2 inches extra.
4. Cut out the wedge shape.
5. Cut out two strips of fabric of about 5 inches by 4 inches. Fold over to get a strip of 5"x2" and stitch. No need to turn them inside out.
6. Cut a dowel to the length of the fabric fold of your bag, and a bit shorter.
7. Fold the two strips around the dowel and sew shut. Take the dowel out again. Sew the two strips of fabric to the fabric fold of your bag, slip the dowel in the holes of the strips.
8. Sew a zipper (or two zippers) in the open sides of your dress bag. If you can't find a zip that's long enough, at least sew two zips in the sides and leave the bottom open so there is at least some protection.
9. Cut a long strip of fabric, fold in half and stitch, then sew to the sides of the fold for a carrying belt.

Image hotlink - 'http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/cluich/folddress.gif'

Fabric advice: anything that's slightly sturdy. I tell my dancers to buy plastic table cloth material as it's waterproof, cheap and comes in funky colours.
You'll find your bag isn't as neat as the ones you buy, but then it isn't as expensive either . ;)
re: Dress bag pattern?
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 28, 2007 07:22 AM
THAAANK YOU!!!!!! :D
I have an old HUGE poncho that I used to carry my dance bag around in, do you think that would be sturdy enough? ;) It's pretty thick, but not too thick to sew on.
re: Dress bag pattern?
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:31 AM
Yes, I don't see why that shouldn't do in a pinch. You can always go for a 'neater' solution when you have some time.

ReplySendWatch