Forum: Gym / Rhythmic Gymnastics

need help with BACKWARDS walkovers
By dance4ballet
On Wed Dec 05, 2007 06:42 PM

Ok, hi!

I can do cartwheels, 1 handed cartwheels, backbends, splits, and front walkovers (the ones where you go into a hnadstand first, then a backbend, then come up.)

I need help with my BACKWARDS walkovers. These are the ones where you go into a backbend, then flip your legs over, past a hand stand, and stand up. I can do the back bend part, but cant get enough momentum to flip over! AHHH frustrating!

I am a ballet and jazz dancer, and have never done acro or gym. i think that the moves done in acro and gym are very nice in dances, though.

Can anybody help me please???

4 Replies to need help with BACKWARDS walkovers

re: need help with BACKWARDS walkovers
By dancestarlet87
On Fri Dec 07, 2007 01:29 AM
When prepping for a backwards walkover from a toe-point, try and lift your leg off the ground before your hands hit the floor. That way, when your hands hit the floor your leg will be in a walkover-stop position and all you need to do is push off with the other leg.

Sometimes positive mental thinking can help too! I used to be scared to fast backwards but now they are my faves!

Hope this helps...and makes sense!!

xxx
By majicdancer
On Fri Dec 07, 2007 03:21 PM
great post and amazing advice I will try it tomarrow. thanks x x x
By dance4ballet
On Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:13 PM
thank you so much!
By hayleyiscirquemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 21, 2008 01:37 AM
the most important thing i think you need to do when doing a back walkover is at the same time as you start kicking over your body, lean and push out through your shoulders. that will help you to move the majority of your body back over and will force your momentum back to your feet. a lot of people think they need to kick super hard to get over, but you really don't, as you will probably notice from watching people do slow back walkovers. so just remember to push back in your shoulders and also lift up your head to try and shift your weight, its that slight weight shift that will allow you to complete the walkover
hope that helps!

ReplySendWatch