Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Bumbum BAAAAAAA this board is sooooo dead!
By dancer_meggs
On Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:45 AM

Very very dead, I'll so ...I'll ask a few questions I've been meaning to ask in the hopes that they may be answered by some magical dead-board-checking fairy :D! So I've started taking ballet classes, would you guys say that's pretty helpful for color guard, or is another style usually perferred? I think I've asked that before :P ummm, does anybody here do college guard? Do you guys do anything other than guard, like a certain type of dance, or a sport, or are very involved in your job? What length flag pole do people usually use in guard, what length do you use? Have you seen any other equipment used in guard other than flag, rifel, and sabre? Alright I think that leaves room open for plenty of answers! :D :) :D

5 Replies to Bumbum BAAAAAAA this board is sooooo dead!

re: Bumbum BAAAAAAA this board is sooooo dead!
By Munki03
On Thu Dec 06, 2007 05:21 PM
I agree that this board has been relatively unpopular.
To answer your questions:

It is wonderful that you have been taking ballet classes. Guards use a variety of styles, and it may just depend on what style your group typically uses, if any....or if they like multiple styles.

It is important to be able to branch out from just one style, but just working on developing your dance skills will benefit you as it will be a way for you to: develop coordination, strength, flexibility, confidence, and pick up combinations faster

Competitive guards typically use 6 foot poles. Other pieces of equipment are sometimes used, but are usually not counted as legal pieces of equipment for equipment time. One common weapon used are sickles, which are basically rounded rifles. They are very fun to spin.
By ballet_jazz_tap
On Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:46 AM
I found ballet to be very useful for color guard, once I got out of my high school guard. I'm currently in a college color guard, and a college winterguard, and a lot of our warm up includes ballet basics, such as plies and tendus, as well as across-the-floors.

I don't really do a lot other than guard, and school, of course. I coached at my old high school during the fall season, so that was time consuming, and I'm trying to find a job for the spring semester, but that's not going so well.

As the above poster said, competitive guards usually use 6'poles, and some will use rifle and/or sabre.
By danzinchyk416
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 06:39 PM
I think ballet would be useful, well any type of dance would be useful really. It all depends on the guard you are with. Ask your instructors what they think would be the best type of dance to take. For my guard, modern would probably be most useful.
By john_deere_girl
On Sat Jan 12, 2008 06:50 PM
my instructor uses a veriaity of typesof danicing... we have a dance block that goes from like high kicking like the Roayalettes to hip hop... that way our bodies get warmed up to different types of dancing to what ever he wants to write in the show...
By LSguardgrl95
On Sun Jan 13, 2008 08:13 AM
I think that ballet would be very helpful for colorguard. I used to take dance classes and I learn dances in just a few minutes so I can help the other guardies. I spin a five foot flag pole but I am only in junior guard. When i am in varsity like my older sister, I will use a six foot pole. :)

ReplySendWatch