Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

what is this step called?
By Abbz2991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 09, 2007 07:15 PM

Its where you prep like a tour jete but you do the center splits in the air and land in coupe in front...kinda hard to explain, but if you get it...whats this called??

thanks

Abbz

8 Replies to what is this step called?

re: what is this step called?
By get_over_itmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 02:53 PM
Sounds a little like a saut de basque? Maybe?? Hopefully?
By BaLLERiNADiPPYmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 11, 2007 01:20 AM
^ yeah i agree..sounds like a saut de basque

xo
By puppies_flyPremium member
On Fri Dec 21, 2007 09:24 AM
A saut de basque absolutely shouldn't involve splits! one leg is always pointing straight down. Perhaps you're talking about grand jeté a la seconde, which can land in coupe front. I have no idea what you mean by it preps like a tour jete because there are about a million different preps for tour jetes. If it's not a grand jeté a la seconde then are you sure it's part of the classical ballet vocabulary or could it have been imported from jazz, because the side split is not a common position for jumps in ballet and there aren't many others besides the grand jete.
By DaNciNgONmyGravemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 21, 2007 09:38 AM
I think it sounds like a saut de basque as well. I've never done it with splits, but I have heard teachers ask for students to split their legs more in this step.

When you say "prep like a tourjete", do you mean you start by doing a chasse back, then turn to go into the step facing forwards/diagonally front?

~Grave
By mooshrimp
On Fri Dec 21, 2007 09:45 AM
Could be coupé jetés... even though it doesn't involve real side splits, they look like side splits but they're actually front splits.

check it out here:
www.abt.org . . .

Just click the little quicktime logo for a movie.
By Abbz2991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 02:29 PM
"When you say "prep like a tourjete", do you mean you start by doing a chasse back, then turn to go into the step facing forwards/diagonally front? "

^ yes, thats what I mean....and its not coupe jete...so I am not sure what its called, thanks though
By fouettegirl
On Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 PM
Edited by fouettegirl (108351) on 2008-01-14 22:40:34
Grand saut de basques can be done with a side split (especially if it's only a single saut de basque). It can also be done with the leg ending in retire, not coudepied. Both versions are okay.

I think that's the step that you are talking about. It's kind of like an axel jump in figure skating (not to be confused with an axel jump in jazz).
By kerplooey_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 20, 2008 01:41 PM
okay lets see... so you do a chasse backwards, step, grande battement and flip your hips, but instead of foute-ing to the front "splits" (as in a BIG tourjete), you CONTINUE turning your hips and snap into some sort of an a la second tilt jump? like jazz?

i think i've got it now... and if so... then it doesn't really have a name :P

-kerplooey

ReplySendWatch