Forum: Highland / Highland - Jig

Highland - Jig
Jig Costume Questions Answered (karma: 10)
By SammiK Comments: 186, member since Fri Apr 13, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 09:07 AM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2008-03-05 08:16:19 stickifed!

Hello! About a week ago I contacted SOBHD with a laundry list of anything that has ever been asked to me about Highland Costuming: and these are the official jig answers I got this morning.

RED or GREEN: Male jig costume must have contrast. Female jig costumes do not have to have contrast, but reversible 2 colors items (ie skirt) are permitted. A bodice and skirt, or a cummerbund and skirt are permitted, but do not have to match in color.

BODICE: May be straight across the bottom or have petals, tabs, or a fitted shape.

JUMPERS - PINNAFORES: Sleeveless dresses may have sides and armholes, or they may be completely open on the side.

BLOUSES: Blouses are not to have any additional trim, but may be made from an all-over eyelet (Broderie Anglaise). All over lace is not permitted.

APRONS AND PETTICOATS: White is the only color permitted on aprons and petticoats (exception of the shamrock). This includes tiny ribbons and thread color. There is nothing preventing trim and ribbons as long as they are white.

RUFFLED EDGES: This is the one question I did not get a really clear yes/no answer on. The answer was yes they are permitted, but only if the ruffle was not to large and made from the same fabric as the rest of the garment (white on white, red on red for example), and was not obtrusive. A personal judgement call here I guess.

Thank you Hellen at SOBHD for your patience and diligence in finding these answers - now I can sleep tonight!!!

20 Replies to Jig Costume Questions Answered

re: Jig Costume Questions Answered (karma: 1)
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 09:25 AM
Thank you for asking all these questions and sharing the answers! Now if only they would publish this information officially . . . :)
re: Jig Costume Questions Answered
By FroggyFeet Comments: 22, member since Wed Dec 05, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 01:52 PM
Hi,

First of all thanks for posting this!!

I would give you karma but I am too new,

And second why on earth isn't this published officially???

FroggyFeet
By Jennys_mum Comments: 1940, member since Mon Mar 26, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 05:04 PM
I will give you karma. very good advice. christine
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 06:54 PM
Sammi, Did you happen to ask about the under panties? I know white but can they have ruffles? thanks
By SammiK Comments: 186, member since Fri Apr 13, 2007
On Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 PM
I did not specifically ask about trim on panties, just all trim in general. It must be small and white only. We should start a list of things to ask the next time I get someone on the phone!!
By redhendo Comments: 602, member since Wed Jun 21, 2006
On Tue Dec 11, 2007 02:28 AM
Edited by redhendo (161534) on 2007-12-11 02:29:27
Edited by redhendo (161534) on 2007-12-11 02:30:28
thanks SammiK - sound advice and good on you for going to the trouble of contacting SOBHD.

I asked our state committee president about the size of the "small" shamrock permitted on the apron. My daughter has one, it's about 4cm diameter, and was told this was fine - it doesn't dominate the apron in any way. pic attached - the outfit it was made by Step-in-Time in Scotland about 2 years ago and I bought the iron-on shamrock via ebay shortly afterwards.

Just thought i'd share that too in case people were thinking of sewing / gluing one on their outfits.

(my daughter has a green pinafore style dress, there is the red reversible lining for the skirt which I'm glad to say is still okay!)
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2188, member since Sat May 06, 2006
On Thu Dec 13, 2007 03:31 AM
Thankyou so much SammiK- karma to you!

I was about to pull DD's jig outfit to pieces and now I don't have to!
By Emsta Comments: 218, member since Thu Oct 18, 2007
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 03:34 AM
Excellent! My jig dress can be made reversable!
By backstepping Comments: 121, member since Mon Feb 04, 2008
On Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:42 AM
thanks for the clarification
By HLDancer Comments: 77, member since Tue Apr 03, 2007
On Mon Feb 11, 2008 03:10 PM
I am so glad reversable dresses are allowed! My mom put my dress back together today and now it is reversable again. Yeah!!!
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Tue Mar 11, 2008 05:11 AM
No extra trim on the blouse, sorry.
By fromtheheartxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 75, member since Sat Dec 29, 2007
On Thu Apr 24, 2008 02:19 AM
thanks for sharing that ,

luckily my costume is okay... i think ! LOL

Thanks again , xo =)
By Maybellini Comments: 42, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Sun Oct 26, 2008 08:37 PM
My question is in relation to my girls jig blouse/petticoat.

"BLOUSES: Blouses are not to have any additional trim.
APRONS AND PETTICOATS: There is nothing preventing trim and ribbons as long as they are white."

We are using their Aboyne petticoat under the pinafore dress I'm making.
The Aboyne petticoat is actually like a full length nightie, in that the blouse and skirt of the petticoat are joined.
(I'll attempt to get some photos and post them later)

For the Aboyne, we have a white ribbon threaded above the self-ruffling sleeve.

Will this be permitted for use in the jig?

Thanks,
May.
By tartanbabe Comments: 123, member since Sat Jul 19, 2008
On Fri Mar 13, 2009 04:59 AM
great questions, helps me loads well done
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sat May 02, 2009 09:36 PM
Out of curiosity, how does BODICE: May be straight across the bottom or have petals, tabs, or a fitted shape. jive with the "official" dress code, which says Bodice: Same shape as for Nationals, either red or green.? I would assume "same shape as for Nationals" means it has to have petals....I have a jig waistcoat that I would wear with a white dress but it doesn't have petals, it's more straight across the bottom...
By Emsta Comments: 218, member since Thu Oct 18, 2007
On Sun May 03, 2009 07:30 AM
I've now decided that I want a pointy arrow bodice
By superdancer5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 56, member since Fri Sep 04, 2009
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:02 AM
hey,

First of all thanks for posting this it helps alout
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 02:34 AM
thanks so much for posting this. sometimes it is hard to find the rules and then make sure they are right. I think my daughter's is ok by this rule. do dancer's prefer elastic waist for these or a solid fixed waist?
By Dance4HimAlone Comments: 5, member since Fri Mar 14, 2014
On Fri Mar 14, 2014 09:21 AM
I am getting my first jig outfit made currently so I just wanted to verify that all this is still up to date...I saw it was posted back in 2007 so I wanted to check before I make my apron & blouse!
Thank you!
By Lennoxcastle Comments: 6, member since Thu Aug 21, 2014
On Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 PM
I would love some confirmation on this from someone who knows more about this than I do.

Can my dancer wear her Aboyne jacket, with petals, with her Jig dress. It is red, but has silver trim.

Thanks

ReplySendWatch