Forum: Guard / Color Guard

New flag NEW FLAG!!!!
By dancer_meggs
On Wed Dec 12, 2007 07:15 PM

AHHHHHHHH I'm getting a flag ofor Christmas!!!! It's my first falg ever and I snuck around and found out that the pole is silver with a white cap and is 6 foot and the flag is royal blue, with no design :D YOu don't know how happy I am, I've been practicing with brooms and I accidentally broke the head off of one of our brooms ^-^ I'm so bad teheheh, I'm super excited! :D and another :D

6 Replies to New flag NEW FLAG!!!!

re: New flag NEW FLAG!!!!
By guardedPremium member
On Wed Dec 12, 2007 07:37 PM
That's awesome! Yay for new flags! See if you can find out if you're getting weights too, they make a huge difference when you're spinning, trust me.

Yay again!
By dancer_meggs
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 05:30 PM
What are weights for falgs? Do lots of teams use them?
By guardedPremium member
On Sat Dec 15, 2007 02:14 PM
You put a weight in the flag endcap or both of the endcaps of your pole, to help with spin. To my understanding, most guards use them. I'll be honest and say I didn't spin for the highest quality program in high school, and one big difference I noticed when I spun on Pride at MSU, was that not a single pole was EVER unweighted. It just wasn't done. But, its not a required thing, it just gives you loads more control. I know there was a post about this ages ago, let me see if I can find it. I think Panic (?) had some good alternative suggestions to "real" weights.
By dancer_meggs
On Sun Dec 16, 2007 06:48 AM
I LOVE Panic! He's wonderful! But ummmm....I can't find that thing about the weights either :?
re: New flag NEW FLAG!!!! (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 07:48 PM
*blush*

It was me. I was saying that we used all kinds of weird things to weight out poles. We stuffed them with newspaper (yes, that works), taped pennies inside the caps... But I wouldn't recommend that. Just go to a hardware store and find 2 big bolts (preferably with a flat head so the caps fit over them) that are the same diameter as the pole. For a 6 foot pole, you'll probably want bolts that are at least 3 or 4 inches long. If the heads aren't wide enough to keep them from falling into the pole, no problem - just get some washers. But I prefer not to use washers because they slice through the tips. 2 bolts and 2 washers will run you less than a dollar (US).

Also, if you have plastic caps, you'll want to throw them away immediately. Get two crutch or cane tips from a drugstore. These may run you as much as $6 each, but if you get cheap ones, you'll have to replace them all the time. So get expensive ones, and they'll last forever.

And I must add that you have to tape the tips on REALLY WELL. If you don't, the bolts will fly out of the end and kill someone (or at least break a window). Seriously, they can be VERY dangerous, so use a LOT of electrical tape on both tips. Every year, I give a big lecture about this, and every year at least one bolt goes flying past my head during rehearsal.
By john_deere_girl
On Sat Jan 12, 2008 06:39 PM
I love new flags... I bought my own flag at Cary Band Day... its red, yyellow, and orange... all mixed together ina stripeed pattern... Congrats on your flag!

ReplySendWatch