Forum: New Zealand / New Zealand - General

New Zealand flag... strange question
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 20, 2007 05:30 AM

Let me explain first off - we've got a Christmas quiz from my old school, which one of my old teachers makes up every year. One of the sections on the quiz is numbers, and their relevance. So, for example:

Cotton 2, Sugar 6, Steel 11, Lace 13, Oak 80. The relevance of the numbers is wedding anniversaries (cotton is the 2nd wedding anniversary).

Sorry if that explanation was patronising, it took forever to explain the concept to my dad, haha.

So, this is one I'm stuck on:

Turkey 1, New Zealand 3, Iraq 3, New Zealand 4, China 5, Samoa 5, Australia 6.

I think the answer is number of stars on the flag. The only one I can't figure out is New Zealand 3, because as far as I can see, the NZ flag has, and has always had 4 stars. Everything else works out ok, it's just that one that doesn't make sense.

Any NZers want to shed some light on this for me? (I'm going to put this answer anyway, because everything else is right for it, I'm just really curious now!)

3 Replies to New Zealand flag... strange question

re: New Zealand flag... strange question
By Merfi
On Sun Dec 30, 2007 07:20 PM
Hmmm, yeah, that is strange. I've always known the flag to have 4 stars as well. (They represent the four stars of the Southern Cross.) Maybe it was a typo?
By Sparkz_NzPremium member
On Sat Jan 05, 2008 05:40 PM
why is NZ twice?

because we do only have 4 stars.. I thought the New Zealand 4 would cover that...

ok, dumb question, but are you reading the question right? NZ is TWICE?
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 06, 2008 03:28 AM
Yep, it's definitely twice. *Shrug*

ReplySendWatch