Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

Choreographing PDD
By sodancedance
On Sat Dec 22, 2007 07:23 AM

First Off, I'm new, And I have no Idea where this should go, And I'm sincerely sorry if This has already been posted, but I need some help on choreographing A PDD.
If you need some background info:
I'm choreographing a scene (Flying scene if it helps) from Titanic With ballet steps, as I'm trying to make a Titanic ballet. (LOL, I love ballet so much I can't help but do it)
Rose (from titanic) Is the song. I'm on 1 minute and 57 seconds, if it helps any more. Would anyone know some really beautiful PDD steps? (I know what they are, but to see what their called, I have no idea. I've only PDD'd once)

3 Replies to Choreographing PDD

re: Choreographing PDD
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:40 PM
Edited by Balletdog (120852) on 2007-12-22 12:43:03
I'm not familiar with the scene or the music you're choreographing to, so I can't suggest anything directly. I'm an amateur ballet guy - see my bio - yet through much practice and experience with pas de deux, I've learned to choreograph for my work with my partners, and for a pas de deux class I teach. Through this School of Hard Knocks, I've learned some basic tenants of choreographing pas de deux, and I'm going to describe these tenants to you, so maybe you can create your own choreography:

I strongly feel and recommend, you must have a qualified pas instructor work with your partner and you for any and all practice you do. This is to prevent injury, and to get the technique correct from the beginning. Only when the lady and the guy are highly experienced in pas de deux, is it safe for them to work on their own...I've had extensive instruction from a highly qualified pas de deux teacher. I did not do pas work on my own, until after more than a year of regular pas classes and private pas instruction.

1. Good pas de deux choreography can be put together using just a few basic pas steps "strung together."
- Supported poses: the boy supports/holds the girl in a pose: arabesque, attitude, penchee, her leaning back in one of his arms, her leaning back in a cambre with his hands around the small of her back for support...etc.
- Promenades: the boy walks the girl in a circle around her standing leg, her working leg in attitude derriere or arabesque. He can hold her on the top of her hips with his hands (easier to do), or they can face each other and hold hands like in a handshake (harder to do). In either case, the boy stands nearer her standing leg (not nearer her working leg).
- Supported pirouettes: the girl initiates a pirouette with the boys hands on the top of her hips, and the boy keeps it going and keeps it upright, and brings her to a stop. The guy must be experienced with supported pirouettes. If he's not, the girl can do her own one or two turn pirouette, and the boy takes her hips at the end of the pirouette and holds her there a couple of seconds while her leg remains in retire.
- Fish dive: fairly easy for both the boy and the girl to learn, but must be taught by a qualified instructor, in my opinion. This is so he holds her correctly, and knows how to "rock" her into the dive. Both partners need strong backs. (Without instruction, a beginner guy will typically hold the girl in some way that is quite painful to her.)
- Simple lifts: With boy behind her, him holding her waist, she goes relive (or suos-sus), plie, jump straight up as he simultanously lifts her, he controls her return to the floor so she gently makes contact with the floor. You can do more than one of these lifts in a row. It's imperative the boy return the girl to the floor S-L-O-W-L-Y, more slowly than he even thinks he must.

With some or all of the five basic pas steps above (you don't have to use all five of them), a nice choreography could be put together. You could use each step more than once in the whole choreography, and some of the steps can be done differently each time: i.e., do a promenade clockwise...then later on in the choreography do a promenade counterclockwise.

For your pas de deux, just try to visualize using pas steps from above, one after another.
- Make sure the transitions between the pas steps work (i.e., going from the end of a promenade to a leanback in his arm - her working leg going from arabesque or attitude, to both feet coming together in a fifth).
- You can stretch out time (music counts) by holding a pose or position for a few seconds, maybe both partners slowly stretching into an extended line over those few seconds.

Again...it's imperative that pas de deux beginners do all practice with a qualified pas instructor. If this necessity is not followed, it's unacceptably probable someone will become injured.

Good luck - try choreographing something (and doing the practice under a qualified instructor)!

Balletdog/Rick
By sodancedance
On Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:00 AM
Oh, thanks. I'm sure that will help.
In case anyone else is confused about the way I put my music:
Song: Rose(instrumental)
Album:Titanic Music from the motion picture
By sodancedance
On Mon Dec 24, 2007 05:14 AM
Edited by sodancedance (188104) on 2007-12-24 05:31:24 I wanted to delete this!!!!
Edited by sodancedance (188104) on 2007-12-24 05:31:36 I wanted to delete this!!!!
Grr... I can't delete this comment!!!

ReplySendWatch