Forum: Teams / Drill Teams

+ -

Are drill teams getting smaller?
By Taphead25Premium member
On Sat Dec 22, 2007 06:41 PM

The attached photo of the Apache Belles is from about '66 or '67. I didn't count; but I guess were are over 50 beautiful dancers in this group. Today many teams seem smaller; and budget cuts have affected public schools, at least in Texas. Is your team as large as it was 20 years or more ago? If not, why?

13 Replies to Are drill teams getting smaller?

re: Are drill teams getting smaller?
By RoyaletteCerramember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 30, 2007 01:36 PM
The CCHS Royalettes is deffinetly smaller. Just a few years ago there were 12 girls every year and now the team is lucky to see half that. This year there was 7 and last year there were 6. No ones really interested anymore.
On Tue Jan 01, 2008 02:33 PM
Yes, indeed, my brother reminded me that the HCJC ("Hick Jick") Cardette squad was almost twice the size of the 1970 band, which had at least 50 members. Now many drill teams are smaller in size than their marching bands, a sad situation. I rigged about 75 pairs of tap-boots for the Weatherford, TX HS "Bluebelles" around '93; but I'll bet they have only half that number today. I think it's funding problems, especially in the smaller schools. It all seemed so much bigger in the 60's and 70's
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:27 PM
I think part of the reason is that back in the old days, women did not do sports like they do now. So, more women are on the teams rather than being cheerleaders and on drill teams.
By ccdance
On Tue Jan 08, 2008 04:17 AM
when i was in drill team back '93 we had over 60 girls on our team, i later moved to a very small town and they did not even have a dance/drill team.
On Fri Jan 11, 2008 03:45 AM
That's a very good analysis. But I hope the answer is not to suit up boys as "Apache Bulls"!
By john_deere_girl
On Sat Jan 12, 2008 07:06 PM
I think drill teams are geting smaller becuase all the girls want to join color guard...
By TCdancer37
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 08:33 PM
off topic but I highly doubt Mrs. Flynn would ever allow a boy on the Belles

On topic, I know in some schools they are getting more strict on their dancing abilities.One school near me has a rule that if you can't prove you can run a mile in under 4 minutes you can't even try out. So that could be one reason they're getting smaller
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 22, 2008 01:32 AM
I hope the answer is not to suit up boys as "Apache Bulls"!

grrrr !!! Explain, please. If women should be allowed to participate in other sports, why should guys be excluded from drill team?
By groovychick0813member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 23, 2008 06:35 PM
My drill team has definitely gotten smaller over the years. A decade ago there were 50+ girls on the team. Last year there were 28. This year though, we've gone up to 35, so we're doing better.

I seem to like a smaller team though. I think that everyone dances better when everyone has a closer bond. It's easier to know everyone better with a smaller team.
By Fyrefly525member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 27, 2008 05:43 AM
The team I was on in high school started off really small because the school itself had just opened, with only 9th-10th graders, so the director just held tryouts for the sophomores from a sister school that were getting zoned to the new school.

But by the time I joined the team three years later, there were 53 girls total. But my second and third year the team got smaller and smaller. Mostly because the area I'm from there are a lot of "ghetto" people and all they want to do is step, and hip hop teams, but my old director is known for her awesome modern choreography. So interest is getting smaller and smaller. Especially when a group of girls got teacher sponsorship to start up a hip hop team. Which gave the dance team competition.

Now they are lucky to get around 10 or 15 new girls, with most of the team already being consisted of seniors that won't be there next year. Which leaves more than half the team being new girls that don't know how to do everything and act the way they are expected. Which drives down the ability of the team as a whole unless the new rookies are willing to work hard.
By TCdancer37
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 04:12 PM
panic there are boys who dance on drill teams at the high school level, I've seen them at many of the dallas area schools in the past 5 years or so.

however at the college level it is unlikely to happen, at least for the moment, because of tradition, older directors who like things to stay the same as well as other reasons.At the college level if you make the drill team you usually get a scholarship to go with it and therefore are considered "paid" for your ability.Just like you don't see women in the NFL, NHL etc, its just not something that is appealing to audiences right now though it does appear to be changing somewhat now.
On Sun Feb 03, 2008 05:32 PM
Wow! I didn't know it was really happening; although I read about that drill team boy at John Tyler H.S. I guess I'll just have to go back and retire in the 60's with fast cars; cheap gas, and the June Taylor Dancers! ("How sweet it WAS!")
By magicbelle09
On Sun Feb 17, 2008 08:04 PM
I just competed against the blue belles they are still a large team not super.. but, still way bigger than us we have around 30, this one team at comp had 107 girls on their team... they were really good

ReplySendWatch Draw